Author Topic: National 400 15th June 2013  (Read 58504 times)

Re: National 400 15th June 2013
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2013, 10:47:48 am »
Booked time off for this. Then decided to save petrol and accom. costs and DIY from home. Now reconsidering going for it.

I have family in South Brent that I might be able to stay at, anyone know what the roads from there to the start are like? Google reckons an hours drive, realistic?

Should be an easy drive in an hour at that time of the morning - South Brent is right next to the A38 (Devon Expressway, dual carriageway) - which takes you straight onto the M5 and then the turn off for Tivvy (I think it's Junction 27 IIRC) is dual carriageway for a couple of miles and you're there.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
I've also entered. staying at a local B&B the night before. Ashley Gables.
Attempting to ride all the SWAUK rides this season, and the Wessex Series as well. My legs will be  :o...and shot, by the end.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2013, 11:13:31 am »
I am becoming quite tempted by this as well now - it wouldn't take much for me to manage to ride 3*SR series (one more 400) this season, so I quite like this as an option.  Week after Brimstone 600 (which I suspect will hurt a bit), but I'd have thought this should be a good ride to follow that with.

Hmmm - need to look at logistics and think about this.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »
Help me, what's become of me? I'm seriously considering this... :o

I might just wait till after the Dean to enter though - does this tend to be oversubscribed?

Well to answer my own question and looked at last year's results and discovered that this event was started in Norfolk last year?  This event moves about yearly then?  72 people, quite heavily subscribed but I think I will delay my entry until I have some more confidence.  We'll see if I can do a 300 first I think.
(and then who knows - SR in my first year... :o)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2013, 02:08:36 pm »

I might just wait till after the Dean to enter though - does this tend to be oversubscribed?

Well to answer my own question and looked at last year's results and discovered that this event was started in Norfolk last year?  This event moves about yearly then?  72 people, quite heavily subscribed but I think I will delay my entry until I have some more confidence.  We'll see if I can do a 300 first I think.
(and then who knows - SR in my first year... :o)
Go for it! I did. No point in building up to it over two years is there?
Regular 200's. Then 'sensible' 300, 400 and 600.
Confidence is the key word I recon and it is needed when stepping up to a previously unridden distance.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2013, 02:19:52 pm »
Many of us have gone from being incapable of conceiving what riding even a 300km is like, to an SR within our first year. 

The National 400 moves around each year is the plan - and is offered as a big event with really good TLC for riders etc.

It would be a very sensible first 400 due to the larger field and TLC offered.  400 is actually quite a tough distance as you tend not to sleep on it - so you'll be on the go anywhere from 20ish hours to 27 hours (whereas even on a 600, you'll tend to ride a little under 400 on the first day (350ish is common) before sleeping).  400 will be the first distance where you'll ride most of the night (if not all) as well - which is quite a lot to take in.  But once you've done a 300, you'll be ready to tackle a 4.

I don't know how many entries the team are allowing (or how many they are up to yet).  But if that info is forthcoming, you could make your decision post-The Dean.  But if you feel confident already - go for it.

Then you need to choose a 6 - Tomsk's Flatlands in September may well suit your needs nicely (it's a new, X-rated event, but sounds like it should have a decent turn-out and great to see a late-season 600 in the calendar).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

« Reply #31 on: 20 February, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »
I'm a bit hamstrung with events because (before I got into audaxing) I'm signed up for a big Sportive in late April.  If I do, go for it, I've only really got a choice of two 600s.  Frankly, seeing as my old mum lives in Bedford (and is therefore a handy place to stay beforehand), the Buzzard was looking more appealing - and is on with more hours of Sun, but failing that, yes the Flatlands is my only other real option unless I really want to pee of the missus and do lots of long rides close together.  Essex isn't too far from Bedford either but Leighton Buzzard is just down the road.

I would ditch the Sportive now if I could to be honest but I've arranged to do with others so I can't really back out, otherwise I'd be looking at the BCM and Brevet Cymru.
There are the permanents of course but I'd prefer to do the early long rides with company and potential help/advice if I can.

National 400 15th June 2013
« Reply #32 on: 20 February, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »
If the orgs have problems getting Bulwark comm centre I might be able to get the rugby club at this time of year - much better hall, proper kitchen and right next to the M48 bridge.

caerau

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2013, 05:35:43 am »
Well I've managed to get slightly reluctant permission off the Boss to do this - just went to enter but auk's site is down for maintenance... laters. ;D

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2013, 10:52:06 am »

DO IT ! :demon:
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

caerau

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »
Well I keep trying to but AUK's website seems to be on strike :(

[edit]  Managed by a backdoor route, i'm in ;D [/edit]

« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »
I'm in. Thinking of ECEing it into a 600 from Bristol, if anyone wants to join me....
Not such a crazy idea. Driving to Bristol for a 600 makes more sense for me than driving to Tiverton for a 400.
I think I am up for this. Looking forward to LEL for a rest!

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #37 on: 27 March, 2013, 05:45:59 pm »
<bump>

Planning continues..... The start and finish are pencilled in for Ash Thomas village hall which is roughly halfway between Tiverton and Tiverton Parkway station.

A few points for your consideration
  • Sleeping in the hall on Friday night *might* be possible but Official Booking Lady is in Oz. I'll confirm this as soon as I can (early May).
  • Parking will be pretty tight unless we can blag a field nearby, so please consider riding there or car sharing.
  • We're hoping to provide bacon butties (ONVE) tea and coffee at the start.
  • As most people will be finishing mid-morningish on Sunday, would an all-day brekkie be a suitable post-ride feast or should we stick to the traditional pasta/stew/soup etc?

Any input, questions etc gratefully received.  :thumbsup: