Author Topic: Alpkit Ti pegs  (Read 5306 times)

Alpkit Ti pegs
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:17 am »
Minimalist titanium tent pegs.  They can turn a cheap bike camping tent into a fairly lightweight one.  You won't want to hammer these in, but they will push in by hand (in most soils except the pure gravel of my parents' garden) because they're so thin.

Their main disadvantage, besides probably costing more than a Eurohike or Hi Gear tent, is that they bend quite easily, especially the hooks at the top which tend to open out when you strike camp and extract the pegs from the ground.  They can probably be re-shaped with care.

Absolutely not worth it for car camping, or if you tow a BoB Yak and take the kitchen sink already, but justifiable for proper lightweight camping. 

And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Alpkit Ti pegs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »
Great general peg and until 2pm on 10 Sep they are half price: http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16536&category_id=282

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:49:51 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:53:50 pm »
Great general peg and until 2pm on 10 Sep they are half price: http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16536&category_id=282
[/quote

Sold out. :(

Apologies, I should have checked before posting (I got my order in last week :)).

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »
Alpkit are notorious for always being sold out of everything.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 06:23:18 pm »
The Alpkit aluminium Y pegs are very very light and mucho cheaper than the Ti offering. We have replaced the Nalo 2's pegs with these and they are great.
They are in the sale and in stock http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16471&category_id=287

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »
So, these pegs are 6.5g each, but I previously weighed Ti and Aluminium pegs, and found that whilst the Ti pegs I purchased weighed slightly more than these Alpkit ones, the saving is still only going to be marginal (for twenty tent pegs, you would save just over 43g in total!)

The only way you got a significant weight saving, was to use the North Face Ultralightweight Titanium tent pegs, which are so incredibly light (at just over 1g each) that even the North Face instructions say that they should only be used in very light wind conditions!  I've never tried to use them for camping, since they seem likely to bend the first time I meet some firm earth, let alone a rock. ;D

At £7-50 for ten, they're only 75p each, which seems relatively cheap for Ti tent pegs (previously I paid £2 each), so probably worth a go, if they're in stock, and you need some more pegs.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »
I got some of these for the corner pegs on the Akto, with those sturdy Hilleberg aluminium pegs for the guys.  Easier to get into awkward ground as they're so thin, and perfectly adequate for holding things in place while you sort the guys out.  Saves a bit of weight, too.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 02:46:02 pm »
Hi,
 These are a tad heavier than Ti , but I've never bent one yet
 Vango Alloy Pin Tent Pegs
http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/products/Vango-Alloy-Pin-Tent-Pegs-(10).html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&gclid=CJ2forPg27UCFY3LtAodHhMASQ#.UTC-jzB4JrM

I use them on all my tenting adventures  :thumbsup:

Ade

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »
I bought some Alpkit Ti pegs, ones which are a length of angle Ti, if you see what I mean. They are very hard to push in by hand, the top is quite sharp and digs into your fingers/ hand.
I'm going back to some alloy ones (of unknown provenance).
In Boris we trust.