Author Topic: Castaway at Northey Island 14th - 16th june  (Read 6065 times)

Re: Castaway at Northey Island 14th - 16th june
« Reply #25 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »
High tide is at 5.03 pm on Friday so I reckon that means arriving on the island before 3pm or after 7pm.

I am going over to Stowmarket and catching the train there. Neither of these particularly attractive, particularly if shopping is to be had locally.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 11 June, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
I have had an email from the organiser, Sturat Banks.

Arrivals on Friday should be from noon to 2.30 pm and 7pm to 9pm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #27 on: 11 June, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
Having had the same email I now realise I can take the car over which removes a lot of the hassle regarding timing and I can go heavy and bring supplies. However, does beg question should I also take a bike?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 11 June, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »
That depends on what you want to do on the Saturday. There is some excellent cycling to be had in the Maldon area. I can't remember what time we are being asked to depart on the Sunday. Friday lunchtime-is to Sunday lunchtime-ish gives two complete days on the island. We could have a bike ride on Saturday and get back in time to cross the causeway at about 3.30pm, when the water covers it again. Otherwise we would be waiting until around 8 pm, and that would be a mistake as the beer was going for £1 a pint towards the end of Sat eve.

« Reply #29 on: 13 June, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »
I do declare that the weather is really perking up atm  ;D A saturday exploratory pootle sounds just the thing perhaps with lunch somewhere nice......subject to tides. Is a part of the country I do not know at all.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:44:39 am »
Well, we are up but far from ready. Mind you, we have only got about 20 miles to ride. Anticipating a fairly early lunch at the Round Bush pub near Mundon and onto the island before high tide.

« Reply #31 on: 14 June, 2013, 11:19:26 am »
Have fun. I am jealous :). Maybe next year.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 15 June, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »
Biggest breakfast ever this morn. Currently drinking tea in Tillingham. Heading to Maldon soon. What should we have for dinner?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 16 June, 2013, 05:00:45 pm »
Friday 14th June

After a somewhat later start than we intended we left home around 11.20 and hied us to the ferry via Sutton Road and Stambridge Mills. To my complete amazement we arrived there around midday, thereby having knocked off about 9 miles on a fully laden tandem in 40 minutes. Tailwinds and gentle descents are wonderful things.

Although the ferry serves a useful purpose, I don't think I will use it again with a tandem full of camping gear. We had to take all the luggage off to get on the boat, put it all back on again to climb the ramp up to Burnham (the tide was low and the pontoon, being of the floating variety, left us with about a 1 in 3 slope to climb) and then the bags had to come off again to get through the barriers at the top. We decided not to have any lunch on the road but to buy some rolls in the Co-op as the tide was coming in and the suggested deadline for crossing the causeway was 2.30. High tide in Maldon was at 5.03pm so I felt that we probably had a bit more time than that, but we got on with it pretty well and at 2.20 we reached the causeway. It was just as well that we did as a short section of it was already under water and in a few more minutes the lot would have been. Moses would not have done any better than us - I've often thought that I had a bit of a reputation as an Old Testament Prophet to live up to.

Within minutes we had dumped the luggage, I had found the person to whom we had to report and we decided that lunch took priority over tent pitching. Jan had bought some salami, some lovely seedy rolls (we have often enjoyed seedy rolls together), jaffa cakes and apples. The weather was perfect: a light breeze, not a cloud and a weekend of camping, cycling and indulging to be enjoyed. Once the tent was up, for which we borrowed a mallet from a young lady who was on a Backpackers' Club meet with her grandmother, there was nothing for it but to drink beer.

The bar was well-stocked, as long as you like beer. The Man behind the Bar was none other than Whatsisname, who was there last year as well, but this year he made sure we knew that he was the man responsible for the recipe for Brewer's Gold, one of my favourite beers and the only beer to win Champion Beer of Britain on two successive occasions. There were 10 barrels on display but eight varieties and Canardly and I decided that it would be logical to start in the top right hand corner, work our way to the left, and then attack the bottom row as well. There was also a counter serving rolls with sausages, burgers and other sorts of meat in them, so we made short work of a couple of those and suddenly realised that we had already consumed 4 pints. I honestly couldn't say which I liked the best as they were all very good, so we decided to have a bit of a breather back at the tents, which were about 300 yards away. Canardly seemed to think that we hadn't had enough in the way of food and I found it difficult to disagree so he produced from the depths of his tent some sachets of boil-in-the-bag dinner: a Madras curry, some spag bol and two different sorts of rice. I fired my paraffin stove up and boiled the curry and the spag bol for the prerequisite 35 minutes and Canardly fired up his Trangia to give the rice the 15 minutes they required, timed so that they were all ready together. We shared this rare feast, the like of which I have never had before, and after that we were ready for some more beer. Although we had two more pints, we were suffering from loss of bodily fluids as the mosquitoes attacked us with a vengeance. Indeed, I'm sure I could see them staggering around in mid-air after feasting on our blood, which must have been about 40° proof by that time.

It was around this time that I suddenly had a mobile phone thrust into my hand by Whatsisname the Barman: we had mentioned in conversation that the brewer of a recently-introduced range of ales from Great Wakering, only about 5 miles outside Southend, was a former pupil of mine. I think he must have been about 12 when I taught him in the mid 1970s and it was to him that I now found myself slurring. We played "guess who's on the other end of the phone" for a bit but I eventually got bored and told him who I was, to which he replied "Ah! Willy Rushton!", for that was indeed one of the less offensive epithets by which I was known to the pupils of Southchurch Hall High School for Boys.

Some time around 11 pm we ran out of steam and went to bed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »
Saturday 15th June

I guessed from the amount of light in the sky that it was about 4 am when I awoke needing to take a walk across the field. I woke Mrs. Wow, who prefers her visits not to be an emergency. In the end she left me behind in the nocturnal rush for the chemical bogs and just as I returned to the tent the rain started. It was driven by quite a strong southerly and, despite our efforts to pitch near the hedge, the tent was being shaken a bit and, once the rain got going, was splattered quite noisily. We got to sleep after a while and woke again around 7, I think.

The plan today was to go cycling. We had a quick cuppa for breakfast and then left, as Northey Island is only a short distance from the Round Bush pub, which has a café attached to it. We arrived there and Canardly and I ordered the mega-breakfast, which was big enough on its own but I was quite downhearted when we were faced with a separate dish of chips each. At one point I thought I felt something crawling on my leg and in the darkness under the table, against the background of my sock, I perceived what may have been a honeybee. I pinged it off and didn't give it any more thought for a while, until I picked my hat off the floor and found that about half a dozen black beetles had taken up residence underneath it. I thought they may have been cockroaches but wasn't sure. I drew one of the waitresses' attention to their existence.

<insert photo of big breakfast>

We headed north-east towards our destination for the day, St. Peter's Saxon church, on the sea wall at Bradwell. We had made such inroads into our cash supply that we visited the post office in Latchingdon and Canardly and I each withdrew £50. Bob was not aware that post offices offered this facility. It was much better than paying £1.75 to some faceless cash machine operator in charge of the machine in the garage across the road for the privilege of getting at my own money. Some light or other dimly came on within my brain: is the parish not known as Latchingdon and Snoreham? I had forgotten about Snoreham and I wondered where it was. There seems to be no evidence left within the village about its whereabouts. Wikipedia give this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchingdon and Streetmap shows Snoreham Hall http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=588500&Y=199500&A=Y&Z=120. Mrs. Wow didn't believe a word of my ramblings about Snoreham.

The road out to Bradwell is pretty unpleasant. There are numerous left turns, mostly going down towards large caravan parks on the Blackwater estuary, and these seem to attract a lot of summer traffic. The result is that the further east you cycle, the lighter the traffic becomes. At one point we were overtaken by a quartet of cyclists who were probably a little older than we were. They stopped shortly afterwards and one shouted "Would you like a jelly baby?" I affirmed that I would, so we did a quick U-turn and joined them for a brief natter and some sugar. It turned out that they were from Kent and were doing a car-assisted ride around the Dengie and they too were quite disappointed by the level of the traffic. I don't usually bother to ride on the Dengie peninsula these days as the B-roads serving it are so busy that there's little pleasure to be had. However, if you are staying in Maldon anyway it's worth making the effort. Tillingham is a nice little village and has a couple of pubs, and St. Peter's Church is a treasure. There is some good marshland riding to be had, enhanced these days by the existence of some wind turbines, for which our local FoE group were heavily involved in campaigning, countering some of the disinformation put about by a couple of anti-groups. Suffice it to say that these turbines have no detrimental effect whatever on the nearest villages.

After we had visited the church, the weather took a decided turn for the worse as the wind became stronger and the rain started. We  would normally have been looking for some lunch, but we were still weighed down by the gargantuan breakfast. Jan and Bob produced a few snacks from the luggage: cereal bars and apples, and more jelly babies, which we ate outside the church, and then we struggled into the wind and wound our way round to Tillingham. There are two pubs in the village, the Fox and Hounds and the Cap and Feathers. We have had excellent meals in the Fox and Hounds before now, but the last time I was in the Cap and Feathers a tea room had been opened at the back of the pub, and tea and cake were really what we needed. There was no sign of the tea room but there was a sign on the wall advertising cream teas, so we went into the bar, where a small group of people were sitting round a table. We were greeted by a young woman whom I presumed to be the barmaid. I asked her about tea and cakes, particularly the cream teas offered outside. Before she could answer, one of the men sitting round the table, who seemed to be the landlord, said they "hadn't got any of that sort of thing". She did serve us a cup of tea, and when we had finished it we noticed that the rain was heavier, so we ordered another. Jan noticed a redundant sign leaning against the wall which had once advertised the now-defunct tea room. I suppose you aren't going to make much of a success of a tea room if you don't keep any cake in stock.

After Tillingham we made for Asheldam and then west along Green Lane, which eventually brought us into Latchingdon again, although by the time we got there we were drenched. The Red Lion (in Snoreham) seemed to offer some shelter, lavatories and possibly more refreshment, so we parked the bikes and walked through the deserted conservatory to the bar, where quite a few people were drinking. I asked the barman about tea.

"No, can't do that, the kitchen's being cleaned."

"Do you have any ale apart form the IPA," I enquired, pointing at the handpump.

"No, no draught beers apart form these," he replied, pointing to the keg rubbish.

Jan went to the loo and changed into some dry trousers as the rain had stopped, although I noticed as we left the reason for the conservatory's desolation: the roof was leaking in several places. So, two pubs in quick succession that will probably go to the wall in the near future quite simply because the people running them cannot be bothered to do a proper job.

The sun shone on the righteous for the rest of the afternoon and we headed past the junction to Northey Island because the tide was in. Instead we found ourselves in the Queen Victoria, in Maldon, which offered some good and reasonably priced food, an excellent range of beers (Adnam's Ghost Ship was our preferred tipple) and a view of the receding tide. After leaving the pub we bought some milk for our morning tea and then headed back to Northey and more beer. After a couple of ales and a bap containing some protein, we decided we had had enough of the not-very-good band. We subsequently found that it was their first gig, so when Pugwash take the world by storm in their ancient, scarcely-converted post office van, you heard of them here first.

After the band had finished, Canardly and I decided to sing a couple of songs, and unquestionably the piéce de résistance was our rendition of the parody of "What a friend we have in Jesus" from "Oh What a Lovely War!", and even that was slightly bowdlerised by alcohol and decaying grey matter. For the record, what we were trying to sing was this:-

When this lousy war is over
No more soldiering for me!
When I get my civvy clothes on
Oh how happy I shall be!
No more church parades on Sundays,
No more putting in for leave!
I shall kiss the sergeant-major!
How I'll miss him, how he'll grieve!

It has to be said that, tuneful as we were, neither of us could quite manage the robust tenor sung by the actor in the film. Even so, we could tell that quite a few people sitting near us were mightily impressed. I feel with hindsight that what we really lacked was Oscar's Dad in a reindeer costume.

We finished the evening with a large dollop from a bottle of 12-year-old Glenfiddich, which Bob had thoughtfully placed in his car.

« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »
Lots of kids with parents on the island. A little boy approaches WB...'Are you father christmas?'

Response, 'Yes I am, and as you can see I am wearing red, but I am on holiday today. so please keep it to yourself, otherwise I will have to give everyone here a present.' The look on the youngster's face was priceless.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 16 June, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »
Sunday 16th June

This morning we cooked breakfast. My head was in far better condition than it deserved to be, considering the ale and the Glenfiddich nightcap. After a 2 am evacuation, when there was still some daylight in the sky to the north, I slept pretty soundly, eventually waking at about 7 am. Canardly was already up and doing, Jan slept on for a bit, but then it was time for porridge.

The chemical lavatories were by now quite unpleasant. Not enough had been provided on the camping field and they were, not to put too fine a point on it, filing up nicely. It was much less unpleasant to us the cubicles which were closer to the house as their trap-doors still functioned properly since they were not being trapped under the vast quantity of ordure that the campers had been producing.

One thing which struck me, quite literally, was that the alcohol hand wash in these toilets was in liquid form. Previously I had only experienced it as a gel and there was definitely a drawback with the liquid as it was expressed from its container with some force. A couple of times it splashed my glasses as I "sterilised" whatever I had on my hands. However, there was an advantage with having liquid: I could tip a bit into my MSR stove and use it as a primer when I needed to cook something. It worked perfectly and it was not long before we were eating some excellent porridge followed by bacon and egg rolls. Then it was time to pack up the tents and wend our ways.

We were away around 10.30 with a perfectly dry tent. Tee granny from the Backpackers insisted on taking some photos of us cycling around the campsite, we bade our farewells to Bob and then it was the slow, laborious trundle back to Southend. We avoided the ferry, were overtaken near Flambirds Farm by members of the SE Essex CTC Sunday Run on their way back from 11ses, had a bit of lunch at the "Butterfly Café" in South Woodham Ferrers and then suffered the dreadful driving which prevails in our neck of the woods. When we crossed the Roach at Stambridge Mills a pair of swans were showing off their 7 cygnets.

The final mileage tally for the weekend was just short of 93, which was probably slightly exceeded by the units of alcohol.

« Reply #37 on: 17 June, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »
An Essex breakfast.....

« Reply #38 on: 17 June, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »
Then came the chips

ps note the cup sizes. All of the food above was piping hot.

« Reply #39 on: 17 June, 2013, 09:23:36 pm »
Bagger has done the write up but I can honestly say if you want a week end doing something a tad different have a go at this next year. It costs a tenner and for that you get a well organised and interesting week end supported by the NT. The Rangers did a superb job making people feel welcome and providing the infrastructure for a few hundred people to be comfortable on an island which otherwise has no facilities. Food, beer and music was provided together with historical commentary and other activities including guided walks.

The potential for YACF eventing is considerable. Local ride potential/Knowledge belongs to others but I was glad we did what we did and was very impressed by the Old church. I have a sneaking suspicion that this could become a major event for which restrictions will arise.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #40 on: 18 June, 2013, 09:34:40 am »
I would agree with that. The only drawback, and I will be mentioning that to the organisers, was that they didn't supply enough bogs for the number of people who were there. Also, they could distribute them around the camping field a little more equitably than they did this year. However, that apart, if you like summer camping in a really peaceful place with plenty of ale and the opportunity for decent bike rides, it's hard to beat.

« Reply #41 on: 29 June, 2023, 09:58:32 pm »
Strewth ten years ago............ ???
Can't find any sign that this event has been resurrected post Covid, which is a great shame.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 29 June, 2023, 10:39:01 pm »
Thanks for "bumping" this, Bob. Although I say this myself as shouldn't, I do enjoy reading my historical ride reports as I come across them.

« Reply #43 on: 29 June, 2023, 11:00:49 pm »
That ride to the coastal roman fort was a bit special. I am not given to religiosity but eh......

« Reply #44 on: 14 July, 2023, 08:27:55 am »
Got me all excited when saw this thread. Annoyingly they don't seem to have done it for ages. I know they've allowed some of the island to flood to create habitat.