Linked Events

• Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones: 22 March, 2013 - 23 March, 2013

Author Topic: Night Ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - CANCELLED  (Read 42669 times)

Re: Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - 22 March 2013
« Reply #50 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »
Please ensure all personnel are . Thanks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 15 January, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »
We're gonna need a bigger stone circle !   Kim, replot the route for Stonehenge !

Actually, that's a good idea for the Summer......

Swindon to Avebury, then on to Stonehenge for sunrise and then on to Sailsbury. About 50 miles in total.

There is a precedent for a similar ride. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17214.msg366549#msg366549 refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #52 on: 15 January, 2013, 11:49:13 pm »
Arriving at New St 11:17.
Leaving Banbury at 11:24,  that's earlier than the train I got last year but I remember we spent a fair bit of time hanging around.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Si

« Reply #53 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:33:33 am »
We're gonna need a bigger stone circle !   Kim, replot the route for Stonehenge !

[Totally useless geek info alert]  Actually those that did the N.Brum ride last Saturday actually rode quite near one of the largest Neolithic ceremonial complexes in the country, the circles being somewhat larger than stone henge.  Only problem is that it was made of wood so there's nothing to see there any more (plus a gravel quarry has had at it).

« Reply #54 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:03:43 am »
It's £6 for a Chiltern train from Banbury to Brum if I specify a time or £12 if I get an any time ticket. having never taken my bike on a Chiltern train how does the panel find the Chiltern trains and Bike experience.

D
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:29:02 am »
Chiltern trains are fine. They also have free wifi so you can spod with Impunity.

It's looking as though I might be able to arrange this around the babysitting. Could be getting a train from Maidstone rather than Southend though.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #56 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:04:45 pm »
It's £6 for a Chiltern train from Banbury to Brum if I specify a time or £12 if I get an any time ticket. having never taken my bike on a Chiltern train how does the panel find the Chiltern trains and Bike experience.

D

Apart from some rush hour time restrictions on Mon-Fri it's fine - our record is 14 bikes on one train ..... (we did spread across 3 carriages!)

Rob

« Reply #57 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »
Will be back in Brum by 10 on Saturday, do you think?

« Reply #58 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »
I'm a doubtfully possible (as usual) seeing as the family decamp to Hungary two days later for Easter, but I'll keep abreast of things. I'd be joining you in Stratford anyway.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #59 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »
I have had a most unpleasant call to Virgin's call centre in an attempt to book a bike space. I ended up refusing to continue.
What methods are people using to book tickets and bike spaces (online) from London to the start of this ride please?

« Reply #60 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »
I have had a most unpleasant call to Virgin's call centre in an attempt to book a bike space. I ended up refusing to continue.
What methods are people using to book tickets and bike spaces (online) from London to the start of this ride please?

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ lets you book tickets & reserve bike spaces for any operator.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #61 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:34:26 pm »

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ lets you book tickets & reserve bike spaces for any operator.

Thanks. It seems there are no bike spaces available Banbury-London on the Saturday morning. I'm not sure if I want to chance it.

« Reply #62 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »
I think chilternrailways.co.uk will be cheaper and do not always need reservations, though do please check.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #63 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »
I tried them earlier. Not possible to make a bike reservation online.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
I don't think Chiltern do bike reservations.

« Reply #65 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:50:48 pm »
Does that mean you just take your chances on the day, or that they don't take bikes?

robgul

« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:53:55 pm »
I don't think Chiltern do bike reservations.

That's correct - you can't book a bike - just walk on with your bike (either park it in the wheelchair area if available ... or if heading towards London in the doorway on the RH side .. all the stations are on the LH side for door opening)  - no problem (other than some time restrictions Mon-Fri) .... and if you were thinking of going First Class  :demon: - almost all of Chiltern's trains are one class.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #67 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »
Does that mean you just take your chances on the day, or that they don't take bikes?

Chiltern bike policy is for almost infinite numbers (as stated up thread) - we've had 14 on one train, nobody batted an eyelid.  JFDI

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 16 January, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »
For the benefit of those travelling to the start, much the same goes for London Midland.

« Reply #69 on: 16 January, 2013, 03:20:32 pm »
For those heading back to Brum, shall we all try to fit on one train for the comedy / companionship value then, or is their some worth in us picking different train times so not to upset the operator.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #70 on: 16 January, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »
Tickets booked. What a palaver.

« Reply #71 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:22:32 pm »
For those heading back to Brum, shall we all try to fit on one train for the comedy / companionship value then, or is their some worth in us picking different train times so not to upset the operator.

I'm tending towards getting an open ticket back and letting things happen at their own pace. Comedic coordintion sounds good :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #72 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:23:24 pm »
I've booked tickets. I'll be straight from babysitting so if I've got lego stuck to my beard, don't point and laugh.

Maidstone East to Birmingham via Londons Victoria and Euston: £10.50

Outward journey: 22 Mar 2013
departs Maidstone East at 19:18 travel by Train service provider Southeastern to station London Victoria arrives 20:21
departs London Victoria at 20:36 travel by London Underground to station London Euston arrives at 20:45 cycle
departs London Euston at 21:03 travel by Train service provider Virgin Trains to station Birmingham New Street arrives 22:29 ( seats reserved: Coach: B Seats: 07 , and space for 1 bicycle )

Banbury to Marylebone: £6

Outward journey: 23 Mar 2013
departs Banbury at 12:06 travel by Train service provider Chiltern Railways to station London Marylebone arrives 13:17 ( seats reserved: Coach: * Seats: *** )

« Reply #73 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
Chiltern run some of their Mainline* services using "proper" trains with an engine pulling real carriages. Whether this means a real guards van is questionable, but would be worth investigating. Their normal service uses DMUs, albeit posh ones that are sometimes quite long. As Robgul says, space should not be an issue.

*Which may or may not call at Banbury, I'll check...

Edit:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/travelling-with-us/taking-your-bike

"Where do Mainline trains stop?
Our fastest Mainline trains travel at peak times depart from Birmingham Snow Hill, calling at Birmingham Moor Street, Solihull and Warwick Parkway only, before travelling non-stop to London Marylebone.

Every hour, a Mainline train starts at Birmingham Snow Hill, calling at Moor St, Solihull, Warwick Parkway, Leamington Spa, Banbury and London Marylebone.

Also every hour, an additional Mainline train departs from Birmingham Moor Street, calling at Solihull, Dorridge, Warwick Parkway, Warwick, Leamington Spa, Banbury, Bicester North, High Wycombe and London Marylebone." I assume it works the same way in the opposite direction(?).

Don't forget there are additional, non-Mainline Chiltern services...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #74 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:59:05 pm »
Looks like I'm not going to experience the joys of a Chiltern train, loco haouled or otherwise. The 1054 Cross Country service to Manchester Piccadilly has a dangly bike space with my name on it
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!