Linked Events

• Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones: 22 March, 2013 - 23 March, 2013

Author Topic: Night Ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - CANCELLED  (Read 43063 times)

Re: Night ride from Birmingham to Rollright Stones - 22 March 2013
« Reply #75 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:04:14 pm »
departs Banbury at 12:06

Do you think that we might not be at Banbury until that sort of time, or are you allowing for a leisurely breakfast?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 17 January, 2013, 01:09:49 am »
I'm allowing for a leisurely breakfast and opting for the £6 ticket rather than the more expensive ones. I've never been to Banbury so I can always ride around a bit or slob in a café.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #77 on: 17 January, 2013, 07:43:39 am »
I'm tending towards getting an open ticket back and letting things happen at their own pace.

Is also my plan.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #78 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:05:25 am »
Wowbagger I notice you are arriving at 22:30 may I suggest that I know a rather nice pub close by that serves a huge range of real ales that I am considering visiting before the ride commences.

If anyone else want's to join me in the anchor that's also ok.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #79 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:02:55 am »
Wowbagger I notice you are arriving at 22:30 may I suggest that I know a rather nice pub close by that serves a huge range of real ales that I am considering visiting before the ride commences.

Sounds like a very good idea!

Perhaps I should have got an earlier train...

« Reply #80 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:12:06 am »
They've been known to open their courtyard for bike storage if asked nicely & in advance.

Do NOT leave bikes without secure locks in Digbeth!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #81 on: 17 January, 2013, 07:30:43 pm »
Gutted that I won't be able to make this ride, sounds like great fun, hope you all have a splendid time!

« Reply #82 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
my plan is to come up to new street on the  friday afternoon  and potter about till the start . i have ordered a new front light which should help me see my way.i hope the weather allows me to put the m racers on  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #83 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
I've ordered my orange cardboard, I've gone with the any time single option for a glorious £12.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:15:35 pm »
Up to 17 'yes' and 8 'maybe's.  We're getting a fair bit of interest from the locals, which is good (I believe Simon's posted this on the CycleBirmingham Friendface group, which I can't see).  Even when half of you pull out at the last minute, it looks like there's going to be more than four of us this time  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #85 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:44:42 pm »
*rummages around in Excuses Box*
*is unable to find anything*  :-)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #86 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:05:11 pm »
I've ordered my orange cardboard

Likewise.  Arriving about an hour early (it was that, or notionally turning up with 3 mintues to spare), so will probably dawdle over to the pub...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #87 on: 23 January, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »
(I believe Simon's posted this on the CycleBirmingham Friendface group, which I can't see).

Yep he has, had to double check it was the same Kim, not used to seeing you mentioned on Friendface.

« Reply #88 on: 25 January, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
I want to do this!! I have never done an all night ride but I am intrigued!! I also discussed with a mate and he is interested too. Following Kim's advice I looked at East Coast Trains and if I have understood correctly you can buy a ticket for £12 to travel any time, and one for £6 to travel on a specific train - from Banbury to Brum. Is that what others have found?
I would say I am a maybe until I have paid for the tickets!

« Reply #89 on: 26 January, 2013, 07:43:33 pm »
I want to do this!! I have never done an all night ride but I am intrigued!! I also discussed with a mate and he is interested too. Following Kim's advice I looked at East Coast Trains and if I have understood correctly you can buy a ticket for £12 to travel any time, and one for £6 to travel on a specific train - from Banbury to Brum. Is that what others have found?
I would say I am a maybe until I have paid for the tickets!

I used Chiltern trains website, £12 anytime single banbury to brum moor street (as long as it's only chiltern trains), no booking fee, free first class post to my house.

Simples.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #90 on: 28 January, 2013, 02:33:47 pm »
Yep.  I've just booked a £12 anytime ticket.  (Along with some more expensive orange cardboard for the excellent York-Hull FNRttC in April.)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #91 on: 29 January, 2013, 07:02:47 am »
Registering a preliminary interest. However, as per upthread, I'd better warn you that there are no plans to bring a 'bent for threshing thrashing corn.  It'll be the known and loved Orange Bling aka the Gay Barbers Pole.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #92 on: 29 January, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
I have booked a ticket to Birmingham courtesy of my reward points from east coast trains.  And return from Banbury.  So might have to join you on this.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 29 January, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
I have booked a ticket to Birmingham courtesy of my reward points from east coast trains.  And return from Banbury.  So might have to join you on this.

Which trains have you booked? I'm on the 21.03 from Euston to Brum and the 12.06 from Banbury to Marylebone. On the Fri I'm leaving Maidstone East and arriving at Victoria.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 29 January, 2013, 07:00:04 pm »
Registering a preliminary interest. However, as per upthread, I'd better warn you that there are no plans to bring a 'bent for threshing thrashing corn.  It'll be the known and loved Orange Bling aka the Gay Barbers Pole.

Excellent.  *updates list*

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #95 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:31:15 pm »
*Regards list of riders*

Wow, good numbers.   :thumbsup:  With the normal amount of drop outs that occur in the last week before any ride I reckon there could be at least 3 or 4 of us doing this.  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #96 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »
So you agree with Kim?

Up to 17 'yes' and 8 'maybe's.  We're getting a fair bit of interest from the locals, which is good (I believe Simon's posted this on the CycleBirmingham Friendface group, which I can't see).  Even when half of you pull out at the last minute, it looks like there's going to be more than four of us this time  :thumbsup:

Wise.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #97 on: 30 January, 2013, 06:04:53 am »

Which trains have you booked? I'm on the 21.03 from Euston to Brum and the 12.06 from Banbury to Marylebone. On the Fri I'm leaving Maidstone East and arriving at Victoria.
Unfortunately, I'm on the 21.43 and the 12.26.  I had forgotten you outlanders would have to come to London first. 

« Reply #98 on: 16 February, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »
I am going to try and make this one way or another.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #99 on: 16 February, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
I have officially taken up the mantle of making sure Canardly gets there!!!