Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 122470 times)

Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1150 on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:07 am »

I have not 'shit' over anything as you put it. Upon Perusing this Thread I saw that people were Increasing their CHO intake Beyond what is acceptable for Keto and made a comment. If you Cannot take that - than tough.

And I did rebut your post. Me having the odd bit of Vegan junk food is not the same as yourself upping your CHO intake beyond what is acceptable if you are on the Keto lifestyle. If I cheated by consuming some animal products then by all means you can say it is the same thing.

What on earth are you on about? Having an icecream or a piece of bread is not increasing the cholesterol beyond what's acceptable.  Cholesterol levels only factor in if you fail to eat a balanced diet and have nothing to do with 'cheat' days.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #1151 on: March 10, 2020, 09:29:47 am »
CHO is carbohydrate.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #1152 on: March 10, 2020, 09:46:43 am »
I think the issue with diets is that they are diets and, as such, follow a schema of proscriptions, and we introduce the concept of 'cheating' and then there are cycles of guilt and recrimination for breaking those proscriptions. It's a fundamentally toxic approach to eating and weirds our relationship with food. Most diets ultimately fail.
What about cutting out nuts?

I don't think avoiding a product that you're allergic to is a diet. It becomes odd, of course, when you start proscribing things for peculiar reasons.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

LMT

« Reply #1153 on: March 10, 2020, 10:55:53 am »

I have not 'shit' over anything as you put it. Upon Perusing this Thread I saw that people were Increasing their CHO intake Beyond what is acceptable for Keto and made a comment. If you Cannot take that - than tough.

And I did rebut your post. Me having the odd bit of Vegan junk food is not the same as yourself upping your CHO intake beyond what is acceptable if you are on the Keto lifestyle. If I cheated by consuming some animal products then by all means you can say it is the same thing.

What on earth are you on about? Having an icecream or a piece of bread is not increasing the cholesterol beyond what's acceptable.  Cholesterol levels only factor in if you fail to eat a balanced diet and have nothing to do with 'cheat' days.

I refer the above to the Guardian link on brain fog and keto. ;D

« Reply #1154 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »
Apologies. I've seen it used for cholesterol..but again...there's no fundamentalism involved, so occasionally going over your carb budget is still not going to break your diet. You've now heard it from several people who are actually successfully doing it and would you please stop telling us how to live our lifes?.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1155 on: March 10, 2020, 08:21:08 pm »
I think the issue with diets is that they are diets and, as such, follow a schema of proscriptions, and we introduce the concept of 'cheating' and then there are cycles of guilt and recrimination for breaking those proscriptions. It's a fundamentally toxic approach to eating and weirds our relationship with food. Most diets ultimately fail.
What about cutting out nuts?

I don't think avoiding a product that you're allergic to is a diet. It becomes odd, of course, when you start proscribing things for peculiar reasons.
Maybe that's just how you view it? There seem to be people here proscribing things because they will be healthier and happier.

Nuts is a bit extreme, cos (despite being  totally yummy, and VERY nutritious) they can kill people! They were the first thing I thought of. But there are intolerances, where people KNOW certain foods are bad for them, but occasionally succumb to a treat portion ... which is very similar to what you are criticising. I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1156 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
Well, losing weight somo in itself is very difficult. the main thing is to maintain a calorie deficit. but I think whatever diet is, it just needs to be healthy. it is most important
All of the red lights on the wall behind me have started flashing.
And a number of buzzers have gone off.
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2020, 10:14:32 am »
Well, losing weight somo in itself is very difficult. the main thing is to maintain a calorie deficit. but I think whatever diet is, it just needs to be healthy. it is most important
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. Have you recalibrated your bullshit sensors or something?  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2020, 10:58:50 am »
I could be wrong.
Jus' sayin'.

All I hear is this.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. Have you recalibrated your bullshit sensors or something?  ;D

I was on a roll....

« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
Plus one here for a positive keto/low carb experience.

After several years of forgoing wheat through necessity and replacing it with other carbs (spuds, pulse, rice etc) I have recently ( for a few weeks)  taken up a low carbohydrate diet and had very good initial results.
They are weight loss, better sleep, no hunger spikes/hangry episodes, better mood, no crashing exhaustion. An almost total disappearance of arthritic type pain in various abused joints.
I'm really thrilled with the results thus far and although it seems counter intuitive to all my past learnings on nutrition, I really am now convinced there is something in this.
I will, however, keep a healthy dose of cycnisim going forward, but right now the brilliant results are like some kind of voodoo.
I suspect that diets are not a one size fits all, but I think its very likely that I'm one of the many people out there who do not do well on a shit tonne of carbs. That does make a little bit of me sad!
I haven't reduced my very liberal wine consumption either. That makes me very happy.
often lost.