Author Topic: Battling the bottle.  (Read 63866 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Battling the bottle.
« Reply #275 on: 05 February, 2009, 10:52:31 pm »
Well done that chap  :thumbsup:

H

Rob

« Reply #276 on: 06 February, 2009, 12:25:37 pm »
Last drink 23:50 on New Years Eve.   So 36 days and counting, including my first dry birthday for about 20 years.

Went out for lunch with the out-laws on Sunday and was told that they weren't used to me without a glass of wine in my hand.   Comments like that really help, don't they ?

I suppose the thing for me is that there are too many stories that begin with 'Rob was so pissed that.......'

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #277 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:45:27 pm »
Very well done Rob, that is a really big achievement.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

« Reply #278 on: 06 February, 2009, 01:55:28 pm »
Good stuff.

I think that, even if you don't think you have a serious drinkohol problem, it is a useful exercise to see how it feels to leave it alone for a decent period. Some the changes are quite subtle.

« Reply #279 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:10:41 pm »
I think that, even if you don't think you have a serious drinkohol problem, it is a useful exercise to see how it feels to leave it alone for a decent period. Some the changes are quite subtle.

Exactly. I'm doing well keeping my drinking within 20 units within a rolling 7 days but the thought of going to 0 units quite genuinely fills me with fear. Well done to anyone who does.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #280 on: 06 February, 2009, 02:27:31 pm »
Well done Rob, and Tony.  Everyone keeping it up, in fact.

Actually, even for those who've slipped a little; don't give up: You're almost there.  Wanting to stop is the first step.
Getting there...

« Reply #281 on: 06 February, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »
Last drink 23:50 on New Years Eve.   So 36 days and counting, including my first dry birthday for about 20 years.

Went out for lunch with the out-laws on Sunday and was told that they weren't used to me without a glass of wine in my hand.   Comments like that really help, don't they ?

I suppose the thing for me is that there are too many stories that begin with 'Rob was so pissed that.......'

Well done Rob, I'm rooting for you to keep it up.  Could you see the outlaw's comments as good?  They can only remember you with a glass in hand so maybe it really is time to make a change ?  As a fairly light drinker who has only been really pissed less than 10 times in 63 years I struggle to understand why people don't just cut down.   BUT (and a very big but) I smoked for around 40 years, tried giving up many times before eventually becoming 'somebody who currently doesn't smoke' a few years ago.

Good luck M8.

Chris S

« Reply #282 on: 06 February, 2009, 04:41:27 pm »
Stepping off the wagon again this weekend.

Shit week at work, plans for the weekend have all now evaporated (well - frozen I suppose, really) so I'm going on a bender. Normal service will be resumed on Monday.

annie

« Reply #283 on: 06 February, 2009, 04:56:52 pm »
Well done Rob and TKP, excellent news.

Be proud of yourselves, it is a huge achievement.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #284 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »
Stepping off the wagon again this weekend.

Shit week at work, plans for the weekend have all now evaporated (well - frozen I suppose, really) so I'm going on a bender. Normal service will be resumed on Monday.

I'm not quite sure what the appropriate response to that is so take whichever one appeals:

1. Well done, good decision.

2. Er, have a nice weekend.

3. Congrats on the earlier abstinence.

4. GWS on Monday.

5. Cheers!

Chris S

« Reply #285 on: 06 February, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »
5. Cheers!

I pick that one ;)

* raises glass *

« Reply #286 on: 08 February, 2009, 03:12:50 pm »
Well done guys.
Working for Bass made it difficult to not drink but even there it was accepted practice to try and keep Monday to Thursday free of booze.
Very difficult I know so all credit to those who have managed it.

Rob

« Reply #287 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:19:46 am »
Well done guys.
Working for Bass made it difficult to not drink but even there it was accepted practice to try and keep Monday to Thursday free of booze.
Very difficult I know so all credit to those who have managed it.

I met a wine merchant once who said that his practice was to have one dry day a week and he drove to his parents to avoid drinking.   He said that drinking was basically unavoidable in his line of work with tastings and sales trips all week long.

Personally, I worked on a trading floor for 7 years and it was accepted practice to work hard and play hard.   I managed to avoid a lot of it due to the cycling but also had a lot of major lunches and nights out.   I left last summer for a variety of reasons, but escaping the lifestyle was one of them.

Day 45 today.   Sleeping well, more laid back but training has been limited due to the weather.   Can't have everything.....

« Reply #288 on: 17 February, 2009, 12:55:36 am »
I'm going to give the non drinking a go for a while. Don't have a huge problem with booze and normally I don't drink during the week but have been drinking a bit too much lately. Since Christmas I have got into the habit of five or six pints on one night at the weekend, a bottle of wine during the week and maybe another night with a couple of pints. I also need to quit smoking again and the booze doesn't help. So tonight a finished the half bottle of wine left over from yesterday and I have one rolly to smoke before bed. I want to stay of the booze completely for two weeks. Let's see how it goes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #289 on: 17 February, 2009, 06:34:29 am »
Good luck, and don't hesitate to come here if you think it will help at any point.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #290 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:38:35 am »
Worth a try.  It's quite possible that you don't miss it, and enjoy the cheaper bills when you go shopping ;)
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #291 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:33:33 pm »
Well done that man. I have just poured myself a large glass of milk, I find I need a substitute to satisfy the habit element of drinking every night.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #292 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:44:32 pm »
Night AQ, well done. You are doing a fine job there, keep it going.

« Reply #293 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
after realising I was putting away more than was healthy, I've been off the beer for about 10 days now and feel depressingly well.  I was hoping not to feel all that different so I could have an excuse for getting back to the pub but sadly I've got more energy, am sleeping a bit better and have lost a bit of weight. 

Damn.

« Reply #294 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »
I have not consumed alcohol for 9 days now. Part of my plan to sort my stomach out, not sure it's working but I am feeling better about myself because of the denial.

« Reply #295 on: 17 March, 2009, 04:52:17 pm »
If this sounds condescending, after 5 years and 10 months dry it isn't meant to be - "well done all!".
And don't forget, if just a drinker, a few lapses needn't mean not worth the effort.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #296 on: 20 March, 2009, 11:27:21 am »
I have really cut down on my alcohol intake for the last few weeks helped by the fact that the village pub closed and I won't drive after more than one pint. Have had an odd pint on the way home sometimes maybe two a week and cut out the wine with dinner at home completely. It's amazing how fast your tolerance for booze goes down, last night I had 2/3 of a bottle of red (celebration after making the decision to go ahead with our extension after months of thinking about it) and this morning I feel quite rough. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have noticed it at all. Feeling better generally though this morning excepted. Don't intend to give up completely but want to stay at this level rather than slip back into the 10 pints and a bottle of wine a week mode.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #297 on: 20 March, 2009, 02:28:50 pm »
13 days and counting. My abstinence will almost certainly last another week until I go to Denmark.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #298 on: 20 March, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »
I'm sticking to my three or four dry nights a week and it seems to be much easier than I thought. I sleep better but that's the only benefit I have noticed to be honest.

It being Friday and having been out for a hilly ride today I expect beer will consumed tonight.

« Reply #299 on: 20 March, 2009, 04:40:23 pm »
It being Friday and having been out for a hilly ride today I expect beer will consumed tonight.

never mind the compression tights and sports drink for post-ride recovery, beer every time.