Author Topic: Battling the bottle.  (Read 63542 times)

Re: Battling the bottle.
« Reply #100 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »
I managed 4 days this time. Epic fail.

I noticed that after 2 days of abstinence I started getting cravings first thing in the morning, whereas I normally only get them in the afternoon/evening. Seriously not good. On the plus side I didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms (apart from terrible cravings), I just felt like I had more energy than usual.

Starting again from day 1 today...

Bob. You seem like a nice chap. So apologies for this in advance...

Why did you go out and drink yet again? Cravings? What sort of cravings? 'Gosh, I've got so much energy I think I'll go and get pissed?' Or was it the old 'My life is such a fuck-up I just want to wipe out?' 'I don't know how to have fun so I'll just get legless instead?'   

When you are puking your guts up and staggering all over the road, looking like a complete twat, or remorseful and with zero self-esteem the morning after, cursing yourself for being so weak and knowing full well you're going to do it again next time because you've given yourself a neat little get out clause ('I can't help it - it's The Cravings, you see'), remember just how lame that sounds, and how the only person you're kidding is you. In fact you're not even having a good time when you do it, hence the hand-wringing and mortification of the flesh on here about it afterwards. I went through cravings that made me shiver like a cartoon, teeth going like nutcrackers, with faces appearing in the wallpaper, and I still didn't go out and drink.

The reason is not because I am any stronger than you are - it's because I was sick and tired of lying to myself by saying I needed help and then going back on it, cheating myself and everybody else who took the time to help me, and because the truth, which is staring you in the face, is that you have to stop drinking - not forever, not for a year, but just for today - and you are perfectly capable of doing that, because you already did it today. But it's only going to work as long as you haven't already mentally prepared your next post about gee shucks I've fallen off the wagon again because I'm such a mess, it's beyond my control. If you're sure you want to set this one up as a target, then do it properly. Either call AA, or don't, or keep drinking, or stop, but don't make a fucking great drama out of stopping and then fail to do so on a weekly basis just so you can beat yourself up a bit more.

Right, rant over. Hope this helps  ;D   

Jezza,
that post impresses.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #101 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:12:54 pm »
9 days, one weekend and one Wednesday night CTC club run (normally a 3 pint bonanza) and holding steady.

The first week was hard but waking up with no hangover on Saturday and Sunday, I could get used to that.

H

« Reply #102 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:21:38 pm »
2 years and a few days for me and I still love every morning I wake up not feeling like I used to.

Bobajobrob: for what it is worth, my advice is to go along to an AA meeting tomorrow. Tomorrow, Thursday. Get the little book that they should have in there that lists all the local AA meetings and keep it. Chat to people. Or don't. But just start going and listening and you may learn a lot.

Your problem is a common one: once you have one drink effectively you aren't in charge any more.

Jezza

« Reply #103 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:23:49 pm »
Jezza, wasn't trying to make a drama out of it was just trying to keep a record of it because I can't remember when I've stopped and when I haven't. I should probably do this elsewhere.

Kirst, have been to AA and I intend to go back, but it's a bit scary. The people there are great though.

Fair enough - it's none of my damn business anyway, and I've got no right to judge. It's more a case of what I would say to myself, when I was in that situation, from where I am now.

I found that I liked the idea of giving up more than the actual reality of doing so, which is why I kept failing. It took me years, and all the while I was writing storylines in my head to justify why I was going to fail the next time.

Going to AA is a major step, so it's great you've done that. Like everything it's all about timing: I only needed to go once to give myself the push I needed (after a year of dithering), but I don't think anything less of people who go to a meeting every week.

The only advice I can give is that when you spot the warning signs that would have traditionally led up to a binge, pre-empt them by distracting yourself. If you were locked in a remote mountain cabin you couldn't go out and drink and you'd still survive. A binge is not inevitable. Nobody is holding you down and pouring alcohol into you. Only you, and you are in command, so if you decide you are tired of that way of life, then stick to your guns, and don't drink for that next minute. Or the next hour, or for the rest of that day. You go from counting the minutes at times, through to hours, days, weeks when you don't think about having a drink. And then, one day, you realise that you haven't thought about it for months, and that you wouldn't want one anyway, because everything that messed you up in the past was down to alcohol. That's the mental association you have to cultivate.        

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #104 on: 11 September, 2008, 12:56:43 am »
I conflate being thirsty with needing a drink.

Several glasses of water, cups of tea etc. and I can get through those early evening rumbles. Then it doesn't matter any more. It's way more satisfying when there is a beer in the fridge too.
It is simpler than it looks.

bobajobrob

« Reply #105 on: 11 September, 2008, 11:07:24 am »
S. Pluck: I think you're right. There's a meeting on tonight, will make an effort to go. I was planning to go at the weekend but I got totally absorbed by something I'm working on.

Jezza: thanks for your input, it is appreciated

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #106 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:03:36 am »
I conflate being thirsty with needing a drink.

Several glasses of water, cups of tea etc. and I can get through those early evening rumbles. Then it doesn't matter any more. It's way more satisfying when there is a beer in the fridge too.

Yes, but what to drink in a pub?

Out of principal, I won't drink alcohol free and ended up paying £2.50 for a pint of Diet Pepsi  :sick: the other night which is bloody scandalous.

Two pints of orange juice/lemonade and I want to gag.

I suppose I could go for tap water and squash.   :-\

H

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #107 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:05:59 am »
I know what you mean.  When i stopped drinking, I almost stopped going to pubs for a while.  But it was much harder to get soft drinks back then.

Now, i find most pubs do coffee or tea, which suits me fine, but maybe I'm just an old duffer.
Getting there...

« Reply #108 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:10:11 am »
Yes, but what to drink in a pub?

I don't bloody know  :( The options are usually very limited and awful. One or two pubs do an organic ginger beer I'm quite partial to. But only one or two. I do like a Big Tom but you can only drink one or two of those before you run the risk of having your arsehole go on fire the next day.

Some time ago I was on a ride with Charlotte, among others, and on entry to the pub on the Thames she asked for a large mug of tea. I did the same and it was just perfect on a cold day. Not many pubs can rise to this though.

« Reply #109 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:10:27 am »
me too - I normally go for orange juice and soda water. Lemonade gives me a splitting headache and soda is (normally) free so you just pay for the little bottle of orange juice.  

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #110 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
I find it really hard to find a suitable non alcoholic drink in a pub. The best I have come up with so far is fizzy water with lemon. A pint of milk would suit me as a substitute for beer but I've never seen it on offer in a pub. I wouldn't fancy a whole night on the milk though.  :sick:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #111 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:21:03 am »
A St Clements when on a ride is a delight Butterfly has introduced me to, so I might order that as well as a tea ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #112 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:21:30 am »

It does bring home the ridiculous quantity of liquid an average beer drinker will imbibe in an evening. Pint of tea, anyone?

Jezza

« Reply #113 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:24:13 am »
I either go for ginger beer or orange juice and lemonade. But there's no way I'd drink more than a pint of either. I once made the near fatal error of three pints of cranberry juice. I was a mere empty husk of a man the next day.

I find pubs slightly uncomfortable places, for obvious reasons, so I tend to avoid them. It's another reason why I like travel in places such as North Africa or Asia where there's always a teahouse, cafe or noodle shop.

« Reply #114 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:29:07 am »
Likewise. I almost never go to pubs now, again for obvious reasons, unless it is called for during a bike ride or work related do.

Even in SW3 /  7 in London I find the non-pub options very limited.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #115 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:16:50 pm »

It does bring home the ridiculous quantity of liquid an average beer drinker will imbibe in an evening. Pint of tea, anyone?

Always; would you like it in one of my bight yellow pint mugs,  one of my 'builders' brown mugs, or a 'girlie pink floral' 600ml mug??

« Reply #116 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:21:34 pm »
Pint of tea, anyone?

Never had Clarion over for a cuppa or six, then?  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #117 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:25:42 pm »
J2O is a bit sweet and sickly but OK in small quantities. The manufacturers seem to bring out a new variety quite frequently. I alternate J2O with water.
Some pubs now serve Tropicana orange juice in (almost) half-pint bottles; nice but pricy.
My partner usually orders a lemonade (which I don't like).
Many of my cycling friends drink little alcohol but few seem to find choice too limited at the Wetherspoon's at which we meet every month.
I also have the odd Diet Coke...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #118 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:27:09 pm »
Pint of tea, anyone?

Never had Clarion over for a cuppa or six, then?  ;D

Obviously have not visited my abode either...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #119 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:27:16 pm »
Soda and lime, ginger beer, ginger beer and lime, Diet Irn Bru, tonic water would be my soft drinks of choice. Pub lemonade is horrible though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #120 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:28:53 pm »
The very idea of 'Diet' anything puts me right off. Just call me bitter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #121 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:45:35 pm »

I can understand that but there are times when a solution that is >10% sugar will not quench my thist. That's when I go for Diet Coke (or Diet Irn Bru in Scotland).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #122 on: 12 September, 2008, 12:57:48 pm »
Diet Irn Bru's nicer than the fat stuff, although if you're mixing it with vodka, you have to use the fat stuff because the diet stuff makes it taste rancid, for some reason.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #123 on: 12 September, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »

No choice for some of us - diabetic.  Although I could inject for the sugar, I prefer not to.

As for the bitter - yes just see the LA topic.  LOLOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Chris S

« Reply #124 on: 12 September, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
I've been having a glass or two of Diet Coke each week-day evening, these past couple of weeks instead of the usual beer/wine. So far, my dumb brain hasn't noticed the lack of booze content, but my waistline has started to respond  :thumbsup:.

Diet Coke is rank - but sugar is worse, so full fat Coke is out, and booze...well, this thread says it all really...