Author Topic: Six Nations 2013  (Read 14295 times)

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: Six Nations 2013
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »
That excerpt makes it sound like self-defence, which certainly wasn't what Farrell was up to in the two incidents I cited: one he followed through and gave the full-back a moderately hefty off-the-ball shove, the other he gave a passing player an elbow in the face. Granted, said player over-reacted, but he was deliberately riling other players. To be honest, he reminded me of Wayne Rooney.

Well, maybe it was in self defence [although nowhere does it say that the "mark" had been given] but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the Farrell case. 

I didn't see anything in either of the incidents mentioned that deserved any sort of sanction [or even mention] and neither did the referee, touch judges or citing commissioner - the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion by the media.

Incidently, many moons ago, I played against Jonathan Davies in his Neath days [I don't know if you rate him as a "great"].  He was much more confrontational and niggly than Farrell was on Saturday 
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
I haven't read anything in the media about Farrell and his performance on Saturday. My remarks have been based entirely on my own observation.

OK, I haven't played in a rugby match since 1977 or thereabouts (dodgy back) and obviously I bow to your massively greater experience in that respect, but I have watched a lot of televised rugby and I don't recall seeing a stand-off being caught on camera deliberately winding up the opposition the way Farrell did. That could be down to the editor or cameraman, but it wouldn't have been possible to edit out the live shove on the full back. When play was live, I didn't see what it was that caused Parra to fall to the ground holding his face: it was the replay that showed what had happened. I could just have a failing memory - quite likely!

Having noticed it, of course, I'll be watching the next game to see if there's a repeat!
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »
There won't be a repeat. I thought he did look more riled than usual against France, but I've watched him play a fair bit for both Saracens and England and though he has these games occasionally where he seems to be in danger of losing his head, he never has two in a row.

Parra's over-reaction to the mild cuffing was more reminiscent of professional foopballer behaviour than anything Farrell did. Clearly the citing commissioners weren't impressed.

d.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2013, 04:43:29 pm »
I'm not particulary talking about the written media, they've only picked up on the tv.   

I mentioned earlier about "Farrell Watch".  Before the match, the BBC showed a interview with Farrell when they were talking about his calmness and being targetted.  Jon Inverdale had already said that he was unflappable and Dallaglio talked about his mental strength.  They showed a whole sequence from the Ireland game whilst talking about his control.

During the match both Brian Moore and Eddie Butler were constantly watching and commenting on Farrell.

Brian Moore on 5 minutes [about the push, but after a replay to see if there had been a late tackle by Farrell] "Let's see if there's any afters here.  Dear-o-dear, the game is getting like football isn't it, dear-o-dear". [the last bit referring to the French fullback's reaction].  Interesting to note that the referee, who saw it all, spoke to Huget, not Farrell.

Eddie Butler on 13 minutes  [when Farrell stood up to both Huget and second row, Maestri, who had just clouted Robshaw after the whistle] - "...and Owen Farrell's involved again..." "... a little fiestiness to the opening shift!  Good!"  

The elbow incident happenned at 18.10 on the match clock.  It was described by Butler as "Vincent Clerc down, outside him Parra is down.  Someone will have to play scrum half, no Parra is back"  No mention of Farrell or foul play.

22.30 on the match clock, Farrell is tripped by French second row whilst trying to tackle Huget.  This was ignored by Butler who described it as "Huget beautifully beats Owen Farrell".  At the next break there is a replay of the trip - Moore "Oh dear, well that is a trip isn't it.  To be fair to the referee he may not have been looking at that specifically" .

Eddie Butler immediately then calls in Andy Nicholl, who shows a slow motion replay of the elbow incident from 5 minutes earlier and describes it as "a wee bit of foul play" [which is at most what it is].  Butler then says, almost jubilantly, "Good spot, Andy, Good spot!"

And so on throughout the match.  Just prior to the trip, Moore had spotted a "swinging arm going in to that ruck", this wasn't further commented on or replayed, but any little twitch from Farrell was analysed to death.

It's the usual media thing, build someone up and then tear them apart!

nb this may all seem a bit anorak-ish but I coach the game and watch and analyse many matches two or three times
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #179 on: March 01, 2013, 04:04:55 pm »
There's a piece here with a number of quotes from Stuart Lancaster.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/28/england-owen-farrell-six-nations

It seems that Farrell has an injury which is threatening to keep him out of the game against Italy. I would have thought that, if there is any doubt at all, he would be rested so that he's completely fit against Wales. England ought to beat Italy comfortably, with or without Farrell. Wales ought to be quite hard for England to beat anyway: Wales have stopped the rot (so far) from their long run of losses but have yet to play a convincing game. A warm afternoon in Cardiff (will there ever be such a thing again?) could lead to a really great match.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.