Author Topic: B'twin Weg/Elops 1, Decathlon's £149 city bike  (Read 11262 times)

B'twin Weg/Elops 1, Decathlon's £149 city bike
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:48:28 am »
I now work in the bike theft centre of London, Shoreditch. There is no secure bike parking at work, it's a case of having to lock it to a Sheffield stand on the street. Time to get a hack bike.

My weekly travel card costs £30 a week, and over a year that's going to be £1500. I'd rather cycle and save the money, but I've been too scared to commute on my good bikes, as if they got damaged or stolen, I'd be heartbroken.

So once again I travel to my favourite sports store Decathlon and plop down my money on the cheapest bike that takes my fancy. Previously I got the B'twin Sport 1, but after a year's sterling service it got stolen. It worked out at very reasonable £2 per week while I commuted 26 miles a day on it. But now I'm a few years older, there are more cyclists on the road, and my job requires me to commute in shirt and tie (I can leave my jacket at work). I no longer feel the need for speed, so this time I've gone for something more sedate.

For my next hack/commute bike I have chosen the B'twin Elops1/Weg. It's £149. A steel framed unisex single speed with full weather protection/mudguards, V brakes, a very sturdy rack on the back, bottle dynamo, lights and very practical prop stand.

I chose the small/medium model that features 650 wheels, there is a larger 700 version but I think smaller wheels stand up to the capitals roads better.

If I manage to ride to work for over 6 weeks, it's paid for itself already.

I'll keep you updated with how things go. I have made one change and that was changing the stock tires for Michelin world tours. The tires that came with the bike seemed a bit flimsy.

Now standard bike pron type shots...

I've taken it out for a spin, it feels a bit industrial but it's very comfortable and stable.

I expect the dynamo and lights to be broken within a couple of weeks of commuting, and getting bashed about by other bikes that get locked to it, but Decathlon offer a very good 2 year guarantee on parts and 5 years on the frame.

Updates to follow...

LEE

Re: B'twin Weg/Elops 1, Decathlon's £149 city bike
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:54 am »
Makes sense to me although Decathlon do a few <£200 bikes I'd prefer.

After 6 weeks you should start putting £30 a week in a jar, so you can see the savings.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09:34 am »
I think Decathlon are excellent!  Nice one geraldc, hope you have lots of fun together  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
Bike breaks even this week.

Light mounted on bracket above the wheel, and no gear shifters means my handlebars are clutter free, allowing me to wrap my lock and chain around the bars, which is super convenient.

Bottle dynamo works very well, but the light is very much a light to be seen by, rather than see by.

The added drag from the bottle dynamo is very noticeable, but the extra resistance allows me to cycle very very slowly at traffic lights, giving the impression of an effortless track stand.

More importantly I'm not overheating/working up a sweat on the commute, not pushing a big gear, so I arrive at work unflustered and fresh as a daisy.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:03:11 pm »
How far are you riding on it?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 03:28:52 pm »
... I expect the dynamo and lights to be broken within a couple of weeks of commuting ...

One of my colleagues bought a similar bike at our bicycle auction last week.  This one he has is a traditional diamond frame, but has mudguards and lighting which looks to be close to yours.

The front light bracket was already broken, and the bottle dynamo itself won't reliably make contact with the tyre, so I suspect they're best binned and replaced by a cheap set of LED lights.  The bike was in almost pristine condition, and just needs some minor adjustment to the brakes and gears, so it clearly wasn't used much prior to being abandoned.

Given he paid £16 for it, he has a bit of cash available for other bits and pieces, but isn't looking to spend much, because he's unsure about cycling in London.

Decathlon bikes often aren't that impressive seen in isolation, but given how much they cost, they are often outstanding values.  My single speed one needed some mudguards and a carrier adding to it, but otherwise has largely been trouble free for 4500 miles so far.  It came with a really really cheap set of battery lights, which were even poorer quality than the dynamo ones on my colleagues bike.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:03:57 am »
Bottle dynamo/lights went on the blink on the wet commute home last night. To be investigated...

Curiously they started working again on the dry commute home on the following day. Maybe water got in the internal gubbins

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »
Quick update.

Bike is used for around 4 trips a day, about  1 mile per trip, and for a 20 mile round trip when I work from head office once a week.

The saddle and seatpost got nicked when the bike was locked up in Brick Lane about a year ago. It was replaced with decathlon replacement seat post. As it was a funny diameter, it did have to use the decathlon shim as well.

The dynamo lighting system is definitely on the blink now, parking a bike up in London, wires get caught on things, and pulled out of lights and dynamo bottles in the battle to get into the bike racks. I have no idea how it was wired up (the rear mudguard was used in the wiring etc,) so I'll be moving back to using battery powered lights.

The single speed means that I never get up to high speeds, so never have to grab the brakes, so no adjustments required there.

Occasionally the chain comes off, but that's due to my poor maintenance I guess, checking chain tension once a month isn't too bad, but I don't do it.

Having a practical beater bike to use and abuse in London is pretty good.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:47 pm »
I enjoyed reading this. I also wouldnt leave a decent bike in the street, it will be stolen eventually theres no two ways about it. Did you consider a folder bike for putting under your desk? I think this is what I would have done, although it would have been more expensive.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
2 Year update

Brakes are adjusted by the thumb adjusters, and the pads probably need replacing.

Lots of dings from where it has banged into other bikes, or where the chain has hit the frame when I unwrap it from the handlebars. Maybe I'll get a touch up pen.

Still really enjoy the easy commute it provides, and the very relaxed riding position.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
The dings add character geraldc!   :thumbsup:

Looks a fun commuter bike!

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:36 pm »
Black nail varnish is cheap, easy to apply and very adequately touches up chips on a glossy black frame.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:35 am »
From the look of that pic it's probably harder than the original paint...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »
Brake pads have worn down, so I went to get some new brake pads. Didn't realise the front brakes are mounted "backwards" so brakes with replacement inserts are useless on the front, as the inserts get spat out under braking.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:42 am »
Surely the brake pads get mounted the right way round regardless of where the brake is mounted?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:48 am »
The brakes with inserts I bought, have a left and right, and the brake blocks slide in. As long as they are used on the left and right, they're fine, however on this bike, they have to be fitted on the wrong side, and then don't work.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »
Why do they have to be fitted on the wrong side?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 01:12:09 pm »
I never actually thought about that. I just fit the replacements the same way as the originals, and assumed they'd done it for a reason.