Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948306 times)

LEE

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2400 on: 17 May, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »
I wasn't over enamoured with 3D, the layers were obvious. It felt like I was watching an old child's toy theatre with the card-cutout actors.

Probably retro-fitted 3D. 

Nope, this was Tron Legacy.

Hugh Grant films can often give the impression of a card-cutout actor.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2401 on: 17 May, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Meh.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

essexian

« Reply #2402 on: 18 May, 2012, 08:31:51 am »
Zombieland.

An above average “Boy meets Girl kills lots of zombie” movie. If you can get past the blood and gore: all done in a light-hearted cartoon style the jokes come thick and fast: remember Rule 4: buckle up for a ride!

There are a few plot holes and could have been a little longer (more “Zombie kill of the week” would have been nice)  but sit back and enjoy the ride: especially Woody Harrisons performance which just shows what drives a man in the land of the living dead.

Recommended.  :thumbsup:

Ah...it seems this film has been discussed previously: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24396.msg442972#msg442972

LEE

« Reply #2403 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:07:11 am »
Taken - with Liam Neeson.

A sort of Bourne-Lite meets Death Wish.

Pretty awful but, if I was still 20 and had a few beers inside me, I'd probably think it was pretty good.

Neeson obviously got his voice coaching from Sean Connery.

I also recently watched "The Lavender Hill Mob".  A much better film.

« Reply #2404 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:21:19 pm »
The Raid - forget the simplistic dialogue, just sit back and take in the almost non- stop brutal exhililarating action.  Date movie it is so not. Odd to consider that its Director, Huw Gareth Evans once did welsh language videos in Cardiff....

Frere

« Reply #2405 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:37:47 am »
I watched Alien for the first time last night.

Then had to recover by watching Finding Nemo.

essexian

« Reply #2406 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:46:59 am »
Sex in the City 2

Back, oh say 10 years ago, most Thursday evenings were spent cuddled up on the sofa with her in doors watching the four New York girls strutting their stuff: Shoes, Handbags, Smithy and Big et all. A wonderful series with great plot lines and big laughs, as well as tears.

The first film reduced us both to tears…. In the cinema…. Had to say I had something in my eyes: Big, you git doing that to Carrie!!! Grrr… never liked you! The second film….hummm…. not good reviews so lets wait to get it on DVD.

Well that’s what we did. What can I say apart from it was really good: every bit as good as the series or the first film, although if you hadn’t seen the series, you would have a clue what was going on.

I think there is room for a third film…get on and make it please.

LEE

« Reply #2407 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:19:50 am »
Sex in the City 2

Back, oh say 10 years ago, most Thursday evenings were spent cuddled up on the sofa with her in doors watching the four New York girls strutting their stuff: Shoes, Handbags, Smithy and Big et all. A wonderful series with great plot lines and big laughs, as well as tears.

The first film reduced us both to tears…. In the cinema…. Had to say I had something in my eyes: Big, you git doing that to Carrie!!! Grrr… never liked you! The second film….hummm…. not good reviews so lets wait to get it on DVD.

Well that’s what we did. What can I say apart from it was really good: every bit as good as the series or the first film, although if you hadn’t seen the series, you would have a clue what was going on.

I think there is room for a third film…get on and make it please.

Are you being ironic?....sarcastic?.......Serious?

Sex in the City?

every bit as good as the series
That's all the review I need, thanks.

essexian

« Reply #2408 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

Are you being ironic?....sarcastic?.......Serious?

Sex in the City?

every bit as good as the series
That's all the review I need, thanks.

Horses for courses. I liked it.

spindrift

« Reply #2409 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »
"Horses for courses"

- don't be mean about Sarah.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2410 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »

Daniel Craig makes Hugh Grant look like Robert de Niro.

Just sayin'
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

AndyK

« Reply #2411 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »

Daniel Craig makes Hugh Grant look like Robert de Niro.

Just sayin'

You have obviously never seen Our Friends In The North.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2412 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »
Just got back from seeing The Raid - was billed by reviewers as a mix of western action with hard martial arts.

It was much more of a straight martial arts movie, not much story or characterisation, a few hints at the supposed influences of the filmmaker - I got the nod to Infernal Affairs but not much else.

I like action films, dumb and otherwise but I found this quite boring and even almost walked out, only the knowledge that Ms Weasel was at home with Eurovision kept me in the cinema until the end.

The martial arts sequences were impressive at times although looked to be clearly censored in places.

« Reply #2413 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
The Dictator

I liked it. Not as classic as Borat, but better than Bruno.

The soundtrack was awesome.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2414 on: 23 May, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »
Man On Wire.  Probably still available on iPlayer for a few days.  The tale of hatstand French wire-walker Philippe Petit wandering about between the Twin Towers in August 1974.  He seems completely rational on film...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2415 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »
Saw The Dictator in the cinema on Friday and thought it was alright, then The Guard on dvd at home afterwards, which I liked even more then.  Finished off Friday night watching the first half of Braveheart after having drunk too much wine.  Not a great prep for playing with carving hatchets and knives the next day.

Finally got round to watching Toy Story 3 at home last night and loved it the second time around again.  I think the only Pixar offering that I haven’t really liked was Wall-E – it had good bits but overall I thought it was a bit disappointing (I haven’t seen either of the Cars films, I kind of got the impression from the promotion for both that they were more aimed at younger children and less adult friendly, I may of course be wrong).

So a good weekend of films as well as carving a spoon. 

I also saw the first half hour or so of St Trinian’s yesterday and thought it was a bit meh. 

LEE

« Reply #2416 on: 28 May, 2012, 03:02:47 pm »
Man On Wire.  Probably still available on iPlayer for a few days.  The tale of hatstand French wire-walker Philippe Petit wandering about between the Twin Towers in August 1974.  He seems completely rational on film...

Dare I mention the NYPD's logic (presumably to stop him falling off and hurting somebody) to get him off the wire using a Helicopter?

« Reply #2417 on: 28 May, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

I was glad to see it repeated. A superbly made documentary, I thought, aside from the incredibly engaging and charismatic subject.

« Reply #2418 on: 28 May, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
A couple of 70s American thrillers:

Mr Majestyk, Charles Bronson plays a water melon farmer who takes on a mafia hitman and cronies,

Three Days of the Condor; Robert Redford as CIA researcher stumbles upon a conspiracy.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2419 on: 30 May, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »
Three Days of the Condor; Robert Redford as CIA researcher stumbles upon a conspiracy.

Under-rated.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2420 on: 01 June, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »
Prometheus.

It's remarkably funny, although I suspect I was meant to have a different reaction.  I was channeling Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K: "Congratulations, it's a...     ...squid."

Oh, it's got the sumptuous look, and it's as seamless as FX shots are these days - and I enjoyed it as a spectacle - but unless there's oodles of stuff that was cut for time, for reinsertion into an extended BluRay, it was a bit formula.  Alien was somehow a better film, with claustrophobia and menace.  This is an expository adventure story which somehow didn't really hit the same spot.  Clearly I'm older and more cynical than the intended audience.  I think I know what he's trying to say, but this film didn't quite say it to me.

The quote from Ridley was 'I just want to scare the shit out of you.'  Well, it more kind of doesn't. 

I'll say this though: It's well made, and well acted.  Fassbender really is quite uncanny.  A bit like Heath Ledger's Joker performance, it's the one thing in the film that made me really want to stay.  I think we've been led to expect a different film.  It's a fun adventure film with gore (and goo) but not really in the same mould as the others at all.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2421 on: 01 June, 2012, 03:21:44 pm »
Prometheus.

It's remarkably funny, although I suspect I was meant to have a different reaction.  I was channeling Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K: "Congratulations, it's a...     ...squid."

Oh, it's got the sumptuous look, and it's as seamless as FX shots are these days - and I enjoyed it as a spectacle - but unless there's oodles of stuff that was cut for time, for reinsertion into an extended BluRay, it was a bit formula.  Alien was somehow a better film, with claustrophobia and menace.  This is an expository adventure story which somehow didn't really hit the same spot.  Clearly I'm older and more cynical than the intended audience.  I think I know what he's trying to say, but this film didn't quite say it to me.

The quote from Ridley was 'I just want to scare the shit out of you.'  Well, it more kind of doesn't. 

I'll say this though: It's well made, and well acted.  Fassbender really is quite uncanny.  A bit like Heath Ledger's Joker performance, it's the one thing in the film that made me really want to stay.  I think we've been led to expect a different film.  It's a fun adventure film with gore (and goo) but not really in the same mould as the others at all.

That was quick..  :)

How does it compare to Aliens overall (if setting Aliens to 100%)?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2422 on: 01 June, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »
How does it compare to Aliens overall (if setting Aliens to 100%)?

Erm...  Different animal.  Literally.

Ok, so
Alien = suspense and claustrophobic birth trauma-type horror movie.
Aliens = Go-get-the-bad-guys bug hunt adventure, where the bad guys are badder than expected.  Cue 'oops.'
Alien3 = A think-piece about the maternal ramifications of bug hunts.
Alien Resurrection = A cartoon.
AVP = Really...?  oh dear.

Prometheus is a think-piece adventure about longterm ramifications of genetic engineering and the law of unintended consequences.

Or, it could just be a movie about tentacles.  You decide.   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2423 on: 02 June, 2012, 12:45:12 am »
Just seen it. Not a horror film. Noomi is good, hope we see more of her.

Spot the "its treasure planet" moment
<i>Marmite slave</i>

AndyK

« Reply #2424 on: 02 June, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »
Iron Sky. Absolutely loved it! Moon Nazis, mad American President, space Zeppelins, Sarah Palin as POTUS... It's like a cross between Idiocracy and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow with touches of Dr Strangelove.

Oh, and the moon-nazis' ships etc. are a steampunk's wet-dream.  ;)