Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 958412 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5200 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:59:33 pm »
On the recent flight to South Africa- American Sniper. Bloody good film IMO. The type of film I like.

On the flight back- Imitation Game which, unlike others, I also enjoyed. I followed this with Interstellar which was a reasonable film.

I think I enjoy films that others find shit because I don't take any of them seriously. I don't spend my time critiquing the science or the holes in the plot or the historical inaccuracies. Film starts, disbelief chip suspended. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5201 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »
I think I enjoy films that others find shit because I don't take any of them seriously. I don't spend my time critiquing the science or the holes in the plot or the historical inaccuracies. Film starts, disbelief chip suspended.

See, I get that.  I'm a big fan of low-budget disaster movies.  The hammier and more implausible the better.  (Okay, sometimes critiquing the science is half the fun, but usually it's a quick giggle rather than endless nerd-picking.)  Interstellar was pretty good by the standards of Hollywood science fiction.  Some conspicuous holes in the science, but it had plenty of atmosphere and still worked as a film - it's main failing was hinting at a much more interesting story that wasn't told.

But if you're going to claim to make a film about Alan Turing, then I think you should make a film about Alan Turing.  If you make a film about Bletchley Park, then Lorenz and Colossus deserve at least a mention(!).  By all means make an exciting film about CumberHolmes defeating the Russian spy and single-handedly cracking the One True Nazi Super-Cypher, but don't pretend it's historical.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5202 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »
See, I get that.  I'm a big fan of low-budget disaster movies.  The hammier and more implausible the better.  (Okay, sometimes critiquing the science is half the fun, but usually it's a quick giggle rather than endless nerd-picking.)  Interstellar was pretty good by the standards of Hollywood science fiction.  Some conspicuous holes in the science, but it had plenty of atmosphere and still worked as a film - it's main failing was hinting at a much more interesting story that wasn't told.

My usual early-evening entertainment consists of hunting up rammy films on YT.  Cross-checked on IMDB they're usually rated about 5.3.  Some of them though you know in advance are going to be 3.5 or thereabouts. Some of them are OK, though.

Recent finds: terrible production of Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder"; even worse Dougray Scott in "The Day of the Triffids"; but a surprisingly good one with Tim Robbins called "Code 46".  Oh, and "Immortel (ad vitam)" by Enki Bilal is worth a look. Rather fascinating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5203 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »
Oh, and "Immortel (ad vitam)" by Enki Bilal is worth a look. Rather fascinating.
That is a bizarre film. Not because of the story, but the combination of old-style anime cartoony drawn animation with live film.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5204 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:28:51 pm »
Oh, and "Immortel (ad vitam)" by Enki Bilal is worth a look. Rather fascinating.
That is a bizarre film. Not because of the story, but the combination of old-style anime cartoony drawn animation with live film.

Yes.  Quite an interesting world they dreamed up, too.  I like it when a film simply presents an imaginative world without feeling obliged to connect it to the present day via an apocalypse or some such.  It's as much fun sussing out the rules the place works by as following the story.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5205 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »
Nebraska. Bruce Dern. Marvellous.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5206 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:15:27 pm »
Man Up. Standard Simon Pegg Fare.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #5207 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:32:04 pm »
'A pigeon sat on a branch contemplating existence'

really
It was good
Swedish and subtitled
Slightly anarchic sense of humour which appeals to me

Very good trailer on google
Old fat and slow

Andrew

« Reply #5208 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:58:24 am »
'A pigeon sat on a branch contemplating existence'

really
It was good

Serious question - WHEN did you decide it was good?

Because for the first maybe hour, I thought it boardering on tedious. But then I'm not a fan of that kind of humour, particularly when it's repeated over and over, as it was.

It changed for me on around the hour mark (the monkey scene) and I found myself haunted by the imagery as I left the cinema. It was only as I walked away that I decided I liked the film. If I'd have left before that scene though....

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5209 on: 06 June, 2015, 10:37:58 pm »
Pride. Liked it a lot.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5210 on: 06 June, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »
Tim Burton's Dark Shadows.
As far as I can work out a comedy vampire teen flick.
Just dreadful.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5211 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:10:51 pm »
Warm Bodies.  Comedy teen zombie flick.  It wasn't bad!
Milk please, no sugar.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #5212 on: 08 June, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »
Mad Max: Fury Road

It was pretty bloody good.

I was aware of a lot of hype about its feminist credentials prior to watching it, and excited to see it partly just for that. However, I was very puzzled and a bit let down to not to notice any particularly feminist overtones whilst watching the film.

When I mentioned this feeling afterwards, my statement was met with quite some laughter. It was pointed out that I likely didn't notice it, as I spend so much of my free time with a team full of Furiosa-esque women - to me, the film played out exactly as 'normal'.

When I thought about it deliberately and we were chatting about it, I did of course notice how much of a departure from the norm it is.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5213 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:14:08 am »
Ex Machina (Bluray)

Loved it. A good intelligent Sci-Fi.

It's very much like Blade Runner in concept but set in a large house, with all the action sequences removed.  That sounds terrible but it's not (and nobody loves Blade Runner more than me).

It's super-stylish with more than a passing nod to the "AI" in Metropolis.

Tonight it's:  Shaun the Sheep - The Movie

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5214 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »
Ex Machina

+1

I also liked it, and the absence of action sequences was a big part of that.

The basic premise was hardly original, so I was pleased that there was more depth to it than "are they, aren't they?".  Eva's sexuality was initially squicky[1], but eventually we learn that that was the point.  Good use of handwaving and intelligent techno-babble to avoid getting bogged down in Hollywood Science.  Non-annoying ending.  And the whole thing was very pretty.

[1] Unless that's just me?  I read it as a way to make a modern audience uncomfortable with robots.

Andrew

« Reply #5215 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:28:40 pm »
Looper

More sci-fi time travel with Bruce Willis. Bless him, he can't act. Another that just plays himself, which isn't always a bad thing. As in this film. Really rather good in fact. It is confusing, due to the usual time travel paradoxes, but there's a half decent film around that. And a neat little shimmy (rather than full on twist) at the end.

Recommended for DVD night...  or Netflix'ing... whatever one does these days.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5216 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:01:43 pm »
Ex Machina

+1

I also liked it, and the absence of action sequences was a big part of that.

The basic premise was hardly original, so I was pleased that there was more depth to it than "are they, aren't they?".  Eva's sexuality was initially squicky[1], but eventually we learn that that was the point.  Good use of handwaving and intelligent techno-babble to avoid getting bogged down in Hollywood Science.  Non-annoying ending.  And the whole thing was very pretty.

[1] Unless that's just me? I read it as a way to make a modern audience uncomfortable with robots.

I found it quite comfortable (But then I'm fine with transparent abdomens full of blue LEDs).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5217 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:44:17 pm »
I found it quite comfortable (But then I'm fine with transparent abdomens full of blue LEDs).

That was the bit I didn't have a problem with... It's the idea of creating probably-life and immediately forcing it into the submissive, feminine role that creeped me out.  But...[spoilers]

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5218 on: 09 June, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »

It's the idea of creating probably-life and immediately forcing it into the submissive, feminine role that creeped me out. 

Nah...I'm still fine.

It's when they get in the way of the football when they're Hoovering that will piss me off about these Futuroid Women-Bots mostly.

The question is I suppose whether 'droids should be allowed to be human-looking.

If they are then nobody is going to make an ugly fat one.

If they make then look slim and good looking then men, like it or not, will try shag them.  OK , it may take a few beers but they will. (Some blokes would readily shag that little jerky Honda Spaceman robot.)

We're so far away from actual AI that any fear/anger/worry and other emotions will be pure programming:

IF> Human inserts Tab A into Slot B
DO> Say "Crikey That's nice, I'm really enjoying that"

Better to subjugate a pretty-looking Apple Mac in high heels than a real woman.

At some point in the future it may become an issue but that will be 30 seconds before they tear our heads off and assume control.

hillbilly

« Reply #5219 on: 09 June, 2015, 05:59:26 pm »
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate

Anime based on a video game.  Basically there are good guys and bad guys engaged in an eternal struggle, but there is a chosen one who can change the fate of the universe.

I think I'm "all growed up" because I watched this in despair at the lack of coherent plot, poor structure, bad dialogue etc.  Suspect it gives hormone crazed teenagers something to fantasise over.  Me, not so much  :(

On the plus side, the artwork was rather crisp.  But on the whole, this kind of thing is better in the video game where you are distracted from the generic content by the need to continually beat the crap out of things  :demon:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5220 on: 10 June, 2015, 03:01:25 pm »
Shaun the Sheep: The Movie.

It's an Ardman production so it's wonderful.

Lots of sheep-based puns for the adults to spot. 
I expect I'd spot new ones every time I watched it.

Shear perfection.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5221 on: 10 June, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »
It'd've been better Lee, if Wooly had posted about Shaun the Sheep.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jakob

« Reply #5222 on: 11 June, 2015, 11:12:42 pm »
"Whiplash" Story of a young musical prodigy (jazz drummer) and his sadistic teacher. Quite good.

Andrew

« Reply #5223 on: 12 June, 2015, 07:21:25 am »
Collateral Jamie Fox and Tom Cruise in a really rather good Michael Mann directed film about a contract killer and their taxi driver.

I'm not a fan of Cruise (a technically adept actor by numbers) but acknowledge that he can and does have his moments. He does here. This film teeters on going overboard on a number of occasions but never quite does. It's expertly paced with a well judged use of soundtrack.

it was my ideal viewing experience. Turn on the tele, film just started. A film I knew nothing about (neither cast nor plot). So no expectations. I was into it before Cruise appeared on screen (and even then it took me a moment or two to recognise him). Recommended DVD night fare.

Jakob

« Reply #5224 on: 12 June, 2015, 08:18:00 pm »
Collateral was a real return to form for Michael Mann. The cinematography is good and makes LA look attractive!
Too bad he then threw it all away for "Public Enemy"