Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960307 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6500 on: 25 July, 2016, 09:46:22 am »
What felt like three six hours of Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, wherein we learnt that a) the suspect didn't know where he had seen/done/discovered whatever it was they (three carloads of Turkish bobbies) were looking for at dead of night in the middle of nowhere and b) the prosecutor had trouble piddling.  By the clock only 45 minutes had elapsed.

The thing won a Palme d'Or at Cannes, so we should have known better. Or maybe it's relativity at work.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6501 on: 25 July, 2016, 09:51:14 am »
Passchendaele. Grim stuff, Slough of Despond etc.

They've made a film of that? Wow, is it very muddy perchance?  Well it would be grim I guess, that's kind of what it's famous for.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #6502 on: 25 July, 2016, 09:52:40 am »
Xmen 3, The Disappointment. So called due to thinking that Jean Grey is dead (see X2) only to find she isn't! The one saving grace, so far, is that Cyclops appears to have "bought the farm".

Blimey, keep up.  Dontcha know that Jean Grey has now morphed into Sansa Stark?

« Reply #6503 on: 25 July, 2016, 10:08:21 am »
Xmen 3, The Disappointment. So called due to thinking that Jean Grey is dead (see X2) only to find she isn't! The one saving grace, so far, is that Cyclops appears to have "bought the farm".

Blimey, keep up.  Dontcha know that Jean Grey has now morphed into Sansa Stark?
That's the reboots, following from x-men first class.
I actually enjoyed that, especially the wolverine as utterly uncontrolled animal. "There's something in there" "Is it an animal" "No, I think it is a man, at least it used to be, but they took something away."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #6504 on: 25 July, 2016, 11:02:36 am »
Ghostbusters

Much better than I feared.

But how is this possible! It has WOMEN in it! Gah! </the internet>

Tbh though the trailer failed to whelm, unless Chris Hemsworth* drawing b00bs is big laffs. It can wait for a seatback premiere. I personally like women. I can look at them all day, or at least until the local constabulary move me along.

I got me Star Trek tickets for the weekend.

*who is freaking me out, by poster-stalking me. Wherever I am, I glance around and there he is, in some watch advert pointing right at me in a very stern 'you, yes you' fashion. It's probably because my idea of a classy watch costs £9.99 in Decathlon.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6505 on: 28 July, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »
Who you gonna watch?

Actually you're probably not, seeing as there were only six (yes, I counted) other people in the cinema with us. But it was really good. It could so easily have been a huge disappointment but they avoided that by not doing a plain remake. And it's still got the catchy theme tune.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6506 on: 28 July, 2016, 07:12:54 pm »
A Royal Night Out -  interesting and not in the best way.

muddypete

• Tea makes everything better
« Reply #6507 on: 28 July, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »
Jason Bourne.
Brilliant! :thumbsup:
May you always have tail wind.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6508 on: 28 July, 2016, 10:34:20 pm »
Passchendaele. Grim stuff, Slough of Despond etc.

They've made a film of that? Wow, is it very muddy perchance?  Well it would be grim I guess, that's kind of what it's famous for.
That the Canadian film?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6509 on: 29 July, 2016, 10:41:25 am »
Tbh though the trailer failed to whelm, unless Chris Hemsworth* drawing b00bs is big laffs.

I've somehow managed to avoid seeing this famously bad trailer. I feel like I'm missing out.

I have no interest in seeing the film anyway, but that's not for any special reason about the film. I have no interest in seeing Star Trek or Independence Day: Regurgitation either. There's just so little on at the cinema that appeals to me these days, and when there is, it usually comes and goes before I get a chance to see it (or doesn't come at all, in the case of Sing Street).

I would happily go for a repeat viewing of Love & Friendship though. That was great.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6510 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:04:43 am »
A gruesome thing called He Never Died featuring a grim, monosyllabic gent who inter alia digs bullets out of his own skull with a pair of pliers, causing one to obsoletely inkle that all is not cricket on the Rialto; and sure enough it ain't.  He makes a terrible mess of his clothes and sundry goons before telling the golden-haired/hearted female lead who he is (and for once it's neither Dracula nor Ahasuerus) and stumbling orf into the nite.

Kinda relaxing. Not recommended for plot/story/meaning/moral uplift/breakfast viewing.

ian

« Reply #6511 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:06:38 am »
You see, Mr Citoyen, you are my antithesis. The anti-me. It's through your virtuous viewing and reading that I am able to wallow in output of Hollywood's finest and write my vampire trash. You're the reason that I can watch those Transformer movies. Because I know you will balance me.

But yeah, that trailer. I'm not sure, tbh, I thought much of the original Ghostbusters. I rewatched it a couple of years ago and it was a bit 'meh'. Who you gonna call? Your mum, that's who.

I don't care, I'm looking forward to Star Trek and the latest Bourne thing. Oh, those CIA. They're always up to something.

« Reply #6512 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:10:10 am »
A gruesome thing called He Never Died featuring a grim, monosyllabic gent who inter alia digs bullets out of his own skull with a pair of pliers, causing one to obsoletely inkle that all is not cricket on the Rialto; and sure enough it ain't.  He makes a terrible mess of his clothes and sundry goons before telling the golden-haired/hearted female lead who he is (and for once it's neither Dracula nor Ahasuerus) and stumbling orf into the nite.

Kinda relaxing. Not recommended for plot/story/meaning/moral uplift/breakfast viewing.
I've seen that. It's kind of great for some of the utter non-eventfulness. Bingo. He goes to bingo.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6513 on: 29 July, 2016, 12:58:52 pm »
Funnily enough, I think I could watch it again.  Don't think madame would much cotton to it, though.

« Reply #6514 on: 29 July, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »
Independence Day: Regurgitation

;D ;D ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrew

« Reply #6515 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:20:42 pm »
Closer - this film seems to firmly divide. Some love it, I hated it. Strong performances, notably from Clive Owen, and brutal dialogue at times but for me it's all a tad too self aware, thinks it's saying something profound, I'd go so far to say it teeters on pretentious even.

A film of a play and I would imagine that on stage it's very intense. I could even see me perhaps enjoying it. On the plus side, it made me think of the differences between stage and film. Which wasn't its intention  :-\

caerau

« Reply #6516 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:28:05 pm »
We watched a very odd film last night -  a strange order from Lovefilm by post that neither of us remember ordering - a fillum billed as a 'horror' called the Philadelphia Experiment from 1984 - it was distinguished for me only by me recognising the leading woman in it as being her who was also the leading lady in Robocop.
Robocop was very very high quality compared to this (actually I think Robocop is great but it is what it is).  Utter bilge - and as far as I could tell it was pure Sci-fi and nothing whatsoever to do with horror.  But whatever.  We are currently blaming each other for ordering it - but it was different I suppose  :-D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6517 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »
Independence Day: Regurgitation

;D ;D ;D

Tbh, I just couldn't remember the real name!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #6518 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »
We watched a very odd film last night -  a strange order from Lovefilm by post that neither of us remember ordering - a fillum billed as a 'horror' called the Philadelphia Experiment from 1984 - it was distinguished for me only by me recognising the leading woman in it as being her who was also the leading lady in Robocop.
Robocop was very very high quality compared to this (actually I think Robocop is great but it is what it is).  Utter bilge - and as far as I could tell it was pure Sci-fi and nothing whatsoever to do with horror.  But whatever.  We are currently blaming each other for ordering it - but it was different I suppose  :-D

Is that the one where the cloaking device on the WW2 warship sends the ship and a couple of the crew into the future?

caerau

« Reply #6519 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
Yep, that was the general plot line  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #6520 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:50:21 pm »
Ah, right- don't know it.

;)

caerau

« Reply #6521 on: 29 July, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »
Good job, stay away  ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6522 on: 29 July, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »

It all happened, just like the UFO abductions and the Area 51 event. They just don't want you to know.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6523 on: 29 July, 2016, 04:46:43 pm »

It all happened, just like the UFO abductions and the Area 51 event. They just don't want you to know.

I remember that film really well!  There's a bit where the ship re-materialises and some of the men have been melted into the ship and bits of them are sticking out of the deck, legs and stuff, still wiggling.  It gave me nightmares that did!
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6524 on: 29 July, 2016, 04:52:46 pm »
The other night we watched "Xmen 3, Let's F*** About With Timelines". Carp is not the word for it, but TLD enjoyed it.

Once she had gone to bed, we watched "Deadpool". I laughed, lots!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State