Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960059 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2175 on: 11 February, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »
The Core. Reportedly the most scientifically incorrect movie ever. I liked it

« Reply #2176 on: 12 February, 2012, 12:08:51 am »
Just watched Captain America. It was a bit poor, really.

« Reply #2177 on: 12 February, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »
Jungle Book 2

Little Dinamo's favourite  ;D

« Reply #2178 on: 12 February, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »
The JJ Abrams Star Trek film on TV last night.

I liked it a lot. Had the sense of humour of the original series. Cadet Kirk in bed with the green girl nicely poked fun at the franchise.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2179 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »
Mr R has bought two of the Cineworld Unlimited passes - £125 a year for as many films as you want.

Yesterday we saw The Descendants, with George Clooney.  Really quite good.

And today was The Muppets....  I came out of the cinema looking like this :  ;D

Altogether now... Mnah, manh... doo doo di doo doo...

We're just waiting for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be released.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2180 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »
Currently watching "Brighton Rock". The 2010 version, not the proper one. And it's not the book either.

We shall see.

I saw the black and white version on tv within the last fortnight and then the 2010 version a few days later, also on tv.  Although the 2010 version was ok, I much preferred the older version; it seemed more atmospheric.

The 2010 version wasn't really much cop.  Although it has made me want to re-read the book, just to see how many liberties they took with the story.  Mind you, Andy Serkis was good as Colleoni.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #2181 on: 13 February, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »
The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain (aka Amélie).

Prolly regarded as a Chic Flick but I love it (as does SWMBO).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2182 on: 13 February, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »
We're just waiting for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be released.  :thumbsup:

No need, just ask Crusty and Deano about their adventures in India :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2183 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:37:18 pm »
The Thing, on Blu Ray, bought for £5 from Amazon. Had forgotten how good it is.

Next up is the Princess Bride, also on Blu Ray.

Frere

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2184 on: 17 February, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »
Bit of a dvd feast this week, as I've been too  :sick: (day 9) to do much else  :(

I finally watched the Battleship Potemkin. It wasn't as basic as I'd expected - by which I mean I thought it was going to be quite unsophisticated and very propagand-y. In the event, there were some clever touches (one - a scene where a child in a pram rolls uncontrolled down a long flight of steps - echoed much later in The Untouchables), and the propaganda was no more in your face than much of what comes out of western studios even today. I suppose the real surprise/interest was that it exists at all.

I dipped into my Laurel & Hardy box set again - it always cheers.

Bellville Rendezvous got a timely re-visit. I'd forgotten - again - how wierd that film is. Is there some message in this film, or is it just whimsical panto?

For some reason I have the dvd of Dune. I first saw this film on video some 15 (or more?) years ago, and really enjoyed it. It has not stood the test of time/march of cgi, and some of the acting now looks pretty poor (not helped I suspect by the techniques needed to fit what I guess is a complicated plot into standard/expected film length).

My final choice was School for Scoundrels: Ian Carmichael 'stars', but is eclipsed by Alistair Sim, Terry Thomas, Dennis Price, Hatti Jacques, John Le Mesurier et al. Delightful.

But I'd rather be well and having to choose between having sex or riding my bike.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2185 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »

Bellville Rendezvous got a timely re-visit. I'd forgotten - again - how wierd that film is. Is there some message in this film, or is it just whimsical panto?

It's brilliant not weird.  Works on more than one level.  Panto it ain't and probably the French get even more out the parodies.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2186 on: 18 February, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »

It's brilliant not weird.  Works on more than one level.  Panto it ain't and probably the French get even more out the parodies.

I agree that it is brilliant, but it is definitley weird too.

I wondered whether it worked on more than one level - can you expand?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2187 on: 18 February, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »
Mrs PB and Secundo were out last night so Primo and I had a blokes night in. Home made popcorn, McEwans Champion for me, Irn Bru for him and The Blues Brothers on DVD. His first time watching it and I thought he was going to wet himself laughing about 6 times. It turns out that I thoroughly enjoyed it too - I'd forgotten just how good it is.

The only problem now is that I mentioned that John Landis had also directed An American Werewolf in London which I enthused about and he wants to see. Then I remembered about the Jenny Agutter mandatory shagging and tits out bits. Ah. He might be ready for that, and I certainly was when I was his age, but I'm not ready to sit in the same room as him with it on.

Sorry, big guy, there are unsuitable 'themes' ... maybe in a year or two ...  :-[
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2188 on: 18 February, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
"They Who Dare", an early Technicolor war film (all the greens look wrong) with Dirk Bogarde and Denholm Elliott.

It's crap, don't bother.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2189 on: 18 February, 2012, 04:51:21 pm »
We are watching 'Timeline' (really as background) and it is the biggest piece of sh*t I have seen in a long time! Great cast, some good ideas to it but shockingly crap.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2190 on: 18 February, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
Last night was Mr Popper's Penguins (carp) and today was The Muppets (fantastic)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

« Reply #2191 on: 19 February, 2012, 12:40:09 pm »
The Eagle.  Book good, film poor.  About a third of the way through...hang on, isn't that Billy Elliot?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2192 on: 19 February, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »
Currently watching 'Fantastic Mr Fox'. Its fabulous  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2193 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:27:16 am »

I agree that it is brilliant, but it is definitley weird too.

I wondered whether it worked on more than one level - can you expand?

Most simply, it a cartoon that entertains children at one level and whilst offering a different perspective to adults. 

It satirises aspects and clashes of both French culture and US culture.  What's more, the dog Bruno's perspective is interwoven amongst that of the French grandma (a heroic and recognisable figure) and her duriful but very much less heroic grandson.  Not to mention the fall from fame and fortune of the feisty but faded music hall triplets living in squalor (in what must be a caricatured New York) and in the past until Madam Souza arrives to revitalize them.

Belleville itself is a working class district of Paris, once independent but swallowed up by the city as shown in the film whilst in real life it fiercely holds on to its distinct character (one part of Paris I'd specially like to visit). 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Chris S

« Reply #2194 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »
Alien.

Fucking hell. Ridley Scott and friends managed to scare the b'Jesus out of me in 1979 with this number, and 33 years later, he's still managing it.

It's just as creepy as fuck.

(Seeing "Ash" as "Bilbo" in the intervening time hasn't helped a jot)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2195 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »
Of Gods and Men.  Wot was in French and evryfink, which I more or less followed despite the subtitles. First time I've been to the cinema in about a year!

« Reply #2196 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »
Of Gods and Men.  Wot was in French and evryfink, which I more or less followed despite the subtitles. First time I've been to the cinema in about a year!

I saw that last year. Rather good I thought., though I had to rely on the subtitles..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2197 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:43:13 am »
Punishment Park, by Peter Watkins in 1971. The film's themes of how easily USia can easily tip over to its innate violent punitive paranoid state of emergency under various pretexts of internal security is sadly still all too relevant.

Watched it with subtitles.

Frere

rogerzilla

« Reply #2198 on: 24 February, 2012, 08:13:04 pm »
I struggled through the first 45 minutes of Bruno before deciding that Sacha Baron Cohen isn't actually funny.  The gay sex scene with his midget partner was vaguely amusing.

« Reply #2199 on: 24 February, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »
Source Code, with Jake Gyllenhaal.  Excellent film, absorbing & good pace.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson