Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960077 times)

Chris S

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4725 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:29:57 am »
The Lego Movie

Excellent - witty, clever,  hilarious, and thoroughly enjoyable.

You forgot AWESOME, duh!  :D

hillbilly

« Reply #4726 on: 17 January, 2015, 11:12:01 pm »
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

When I was a kid, I cried at the end of the book. I got to the last 10 minutes of this film and steeled myself for manly tears.  Then it just ended.  Peter Jackson, you blew it.  Now I'm going to have to watch the bloody third one, which appears to be some tosh unrelated to the book.

Where is my ZX Spectrum so I can play Melbourne House's text adventure.

« Reply #4727 on: 18 January, 2015, 12:14:05 am »
Some 80's paranoia with the excellent "Defence Of The Realm" , followed by "My Beautiful Launderette" .  Inbetween times I have been indulging in "A Very Peculiar Practice"..... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4728 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:22:49 pm »
Local Hero.

See that young Peter Capaldi?

(Points.  Laughs)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4729 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:40:01 pm »
Local Hero.

(Points.  Laughs)

That's an old favourite feelgood film  :thumbsup:   I've been to the beach as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4730 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:29:50 pm »
Last night was a double header, RED 2 followed by 300 - Rise of an Empire.

What a waste of an evening...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4731 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:51:44 pm »
Lego Movie.  Wonderful
(click to show/hide)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4732 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:04:05 pm »
Foxcatcher
TL:DR don't bother

It's a very American movie. I got the impression this was a story we were supposed to know, or at least have a vague memory of, if we lived in the '80s. The cast were convincing (Vanessa Redgrave is amazing) but the story is just odd, and, well, it's about wrestling. Which I've never really 'got'. I bet this film is huge in small town America where the school has a wrestling team and high school sports is what you go and see.

fuzzy

« Reply #4733 on: 19 January, 2015, 08:41:04 am »
Pride.

Brilliant. That is all I can say.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4734 on: 19 January, 2015, 10:24:12 am »
The Hundred Foot Journey: nice, feelgood movie with some great actors.

Maze Runner: waste of time.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4735 on: 19 January, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

When I was a kid, I cried at the end of the book. I got to the last 10 minutes of this film and steeled myself for manly tears.  Then it just ended.  Peter Jackson, you blew it.  Now I'm going to have to watch the bloody third one, which appears to be some tosh unrelated to the book.

Where is my ZX Spectrum so I can play Melbourne House's text adventure.

The Speccy is being relaunched as a games console.

What that means is that it won't have a keyboard, just a few operation buttons, and it will be pre-loaded with classic games.

I don't know if The Hobbit will be one of them but I can only hope "Chucky Egg" will be on there.

Now, for a complete nostalgia moment....check this out.

Kids, this is What "Call of Duty 4" looked like when we were your age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ9LuK5Tcgg
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hillbilly

« Reply #4736 on: 20 January, 2015, 03:12:05 am »
There is a documentary about that era of games. It has recently been released.  "From Bedrooms to Billions" or some such.  Kickstarter funded.  Not cheap though, but good by all accounts.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4737 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:39:35 am »
If we're doing 80s gaming nostalgia:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts96J7HhO28

« Reply #4738 on: 20 January, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »
Done a few long haul flights recently so catching up on films.

X Men Days of Future past. I am having a man crush on Michael Fassbender.
The Equalizer. Denzel is no Edward Woodward, but it was enjoyable hokum. It's Taken crossed with Home Alone, set in Ikea.
Million ways to die in the west. Like a very long episode of family guy, so hit and miss. I was eating whilst watching so it's very very scatalogical.
Edge of Tomorrow. I can watch this again and again.
Guardians of the Galaxy, doesn't hold up to multiple viewings.
Dawn of the planet of the apes. Good in parts, but I'm suffering from Andy Serkis fatigue.

« Reply #4739 on: 20 January, 2015, 02:43:58 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy, doesn't hold up to multiple viewings.
Maybe but what a sound track !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4740 on: 20 January, 2015, 05:32:48 pm »
Dawn of the planet of the apes. Good in parts, but I'm suffering from Andy Serkis fatigue.

I know what you mean.  I find that, although he is clearly talented at providing a physicality to CGI characters, I can always see him acting.

I have the same problem with Dustin Hoffman.  I just see Dustin Hoffman acting his socks off rather than the character he thinks he is presenting.

Kevin Spacey on the other hand (as one example), can act his socks off and yet lose me in the character.  I never "see" Kevin Spacey.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4741 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:00:14 am »
Local Hero.

(Points.  Laughs)

That's an old favourite feelgood film  :thumbsup:   I've been to the beach as well.

"That rabbit had a name"
"That rabbit had two names"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4742 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:27:49 am »
Monday night's Double Bill

Whiplash
Excellent. I know almost as much about Jazz drumming as I do about competitive wrestling, but for this film, it just didn't matter. The acting was brilliant, the characters 100% convincing, all that intensity was gripping and relentless. It's maybe what Foxcatcher was trying to be.

American Sniper
Lordy. We in Suffolk have a plethora of American Air bases, and BSE is their nearest cinema. It was full. If I'd thought about it, directed by Clint Eastwood should have been a Big Fat Clue that what I was going to see was unquestioning pro-US propaganda. Terrifying. Not what he did so much, but that they are celebrating the multiple murders which were politically sanctioned for what can only be dubious motives. The enemy are portrayed as subhuman- constantly referred to as animals or savages. Grim. Also- Bradley Cooper is ENORMOUS. He didn't seem to fit in any of the chairs.
This review sees more balance in it than I did.
I want to see the sister movie- Syrian Sniper. Can't see that getting the funding though.

« Reply #4743 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:01:03 pm »
The thing that interests me about American Sniper was the fake baby furore, did you spot it?

« Reply #4744 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:18:39 pm »
Hell yes. It was outrageously bad- it looks like a rehearsal scene they forgot to re-shoot.

« Reply #4745 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
Also watched American Sniper.  Whilst it might have been US propaganda I didn't see that way.  It was apparently based on facts as provided by an autobiographical account that I have not read.  if so, I think the director intended it to be a straightforward film version as that is what it looks like.

Certain types who go to war do enjoy it.  They believe in what they do, they enjoy the excitement and having a goal;  nothing they do afterwards will be like it.  The effect it has on them creeps up so they only notice when it stops and so they don't want it to stop.  Afterwards they have to deal with the experience as best they can but the truth is they can never be the same as before. 

Unfortunately the likes of Sarah Palin will capitalise on films of this sort and distort them into propaganda. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4746 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:45:08 pm »
I read the book, American Sniper, what I enjoyed in that was we got to hear more from the wife's point of view. But yes propaganda.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4747 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:42:57 am »
just got back from watching Ex machina, interesting and a bit twisty near the end which is all ways good, well worth watching,
as for the above film I would have thought the very fact it's directed by clint eastwood should have been a big enough clue.

« Reply #4748 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:36:33 am »
I read the book, American Sniper, what I enjoyed in that was we got to hear more from the wife's point of view. But yes propaganda.

The snag is that the USA sees itself as at war when the degree of threat is comparatively minor.  The film has strong echoes of 'Enemy at the Gates' where Jude Law plays a legendary Soviet sniper, Vasily Zaitsev.  The difference is that Zaitsev was fighting on home ground against an invading force and did not have the option of going home.   PTSD was not depicted and the film portrayed the communist regime in a bad light, unsurprisingly. 

A clip from the BBCs 'Witness' program gives another side to the issue of state-sanctioned killing:  The drone operator who said 'No' also described in this article: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/pain-continues-after-war-for-american-drone-pilot-a-872726-3.html

When I had a moment, I watched 'Inherit the Wind' as a reminder that Americans can be trusted to think for themselves sometimes!

Move Faster and Bake Things

fuzzy

« Reply #4749 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:18:31 am »
Safe House- Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds etc.

South Africa, fisticuffs, gunfights and the CIA.

SWMBO and I worked it out but it was still a reasonable yarn