Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959953 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5000 on: 22 March, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »
Cloud Atlas

Whole lotta make-up action going on there (a bit panto in places). I watched it once on a plane but I was in that half-asleep fugue state that flying induces so it didn't make much sense. It didn't, to be honest, make much sense on the ground, but it was enjoyably bonkers enough (under the fiendish mind control algorithms of Citoyen, I'm reading The Bone Clocks at the moment, which perhaps appropriately tenderised my cerebrum).

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5001 on: 22 March, 2015, 05:48:06 pm »
Didn’t sleep much last night so checked out iPlayer’s offerings.

Burke & Hare
That was fun. :D  I enjoy seeing big names taking on bit parts.

Passchendale
Not as much fun, for obvious reasons.  The battlefield rescue/retrieval scene was rather implausible, but otherwise a decent film.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5002 on: 22 March, 2015, 07:56:16 pm »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

If you haven't seen it already, make sure you do soon. Absolutely cracking from start to finish. I'd only seen one other Wes Anderson film before (The Fantastic Mr Fox) which I thought was a bit bobbins really but he's redeemed himself with this one.
Pen Pusher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5003 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:17:02 am »
Last night really was a game of two halves, the second half never finished (due to me falling asleep and, thus, needing to watch that film again)

First up was Snow White and the Huntsman - nearly, but not quite as bad as Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, poor acting, the horses gave a better show than the "stars" and the story was moribund.  The dwarves were funny, though.

Secondly El Niño - A story of a small time drug runner in and around Gibralta.  Very well acted and a good story, I was just very tired, shall revisit it tonight.

Also, tonight, if it is downloaded in time, I shall be re-watching Pan's Labyrinth
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5004 on: 26 March, 2015, 10:43:20 am »
The Hundred Foot Journey

Feel-good film set around a family setting up an Indian restaurant in the French countryside.

British and American actors pretending to be French people speaking English. Did Helen Mirren really just say "Good Moaning"?  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

« Reply #5005 on: 26 March, 2015, 08:41:58 pm »
Instead of Pan's wosserface, I watched El Liberatador, the story of Simon Bolivar*, previously unknown to me.  Very very well written and acted.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim%C3%B3n_Bol%C3%ADvar
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5006 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:21:53 am »
Instead of Pan's wosserface, I watched El Liberatador, the story of Simon Bolivar*, previously unknown to me.  Very very well written and acted.

That looks interesting, unfortunately not available on lovefilm, and £45.66 to buy (not that I'd buy anyway).

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5007 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:06:10 am »
Lucy - way more fun than all the reviewers led me to believe.

Watched night. Not as good as I had hoped nor as good as I think it could have been. Still fun though.
Pen Pusher

tiermat

« Reply #5008 on: 27 March, 2015, 10:34:19 am »

That looks interesting, unfortunately not available on lovefilm, and £45.66 to buy (not that I'd buy anyway).

Currently only available on US (NTSC) DVD, £14.99 from Amazon.  No UK release date as of yet :(

« Reply #5009 on: 27 March, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »
This week I've seem THEM! and The Manchurian Candidate (the original one)

The reason I mention them together (or indeed at all) is the tone reproduction in the old black and white films is absolutely stunning, compared to the modern films that are mixed down to black and white for artiness. Presumably this is down to lighting, there being no technical reason why you can't mix colour down to monochrome adequately. Has the art of lighting been lost, with colour stock being much more forgiving of poor lighting than monochrome?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5010 on: 27 March, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »
Currently rewatching all the Montalbano series, subtitled.  My wife has an Italian friend in Milan who says that the Sicilian accent is so strong she needs the subtitles too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hillbilly

« Reply #5011 on: 06 April, 2015, 07:49:20 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Great bit of comic book sci fi. Disney really are doing a Great job with Marvel's franchises. This was funny, gripping, and had a Brit in a good guy role (ok there was a scot in a bad guyette role, but you'd struggle to recognise her beneath the make up). I am getting soft - I had a manly lump in my throat at Groots change of pronoun.  Fucking wooden actor though ;)

DC must be looking on, wondering what they need to do to hit similar commercial and critical highs.  Despite having the better superheroes.

Chris S

« Reply #5012 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy

Great bit of comic book sci fi. Disney really are doing a Great job with Marvel's franchises. This was funny, gripping, and had a Brit in a good guy role (ok there was a scot in a bad guyette role, but you'd struggle to recognise her beneath the make up). I am getting soft - I had a manly lump in my throat at Groots change of pronoun.  Fucking wooden actor though ;)

DC must be looking on, wondering what they need to do to hit similar commercial and critical highs.  Despite having the better superheroes.

(click to show/hide)

hillbilly

« Reply #5013 on: 06 April, 2015, 09:05:57 pm »
Avengers was a bit long.  But had a kickass last half hour or so.  Hulk Smash!  :smug:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5014 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
Northern Soul

Insubstantial but enjoyable tale of a couple of lads growing up in Generic Lancashire Town in the 70s, discovering northern soul, aspiring to become famous DJs, failing due to the shackles of working class drudgery, but discovering that friendship is more important, or something like that. Nothing original but nicely done, with authentically skanky sets and costumes and, best of all, a fantastic soundtrack.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5015 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
Interstellar again (DVD was cheap in the supermarket). Enjoyable sci-fi hookum, still like the sound (might be less awesome now the cat has disemboweled to subwoofer), slightly spoiled by some science nonsense. I can easily put aside flying through the event horizon of a black hole without being stretched like spaghetti. I'm not a pedant, but the entire agricultural doomsday scenario was nonsensical, and really, 'blight breathes nitrogen', did I even hear that – the internet seems to think I did. And it's good to know that even as life on earth ends, Americans can still drive around in their favourite oversized pick-up trucks.

fuzzy

« Reply #5016 on: 07 April, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
The Darjeeling Limited.

Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman play three brothers on a 'find ourselves and bond' trip acctross India by sleeper train.

A bit predictable in places but a really nice film to watch. Even the tragedy.

P.S. Amara Karan is gorgeous.

« Reply #5017 on: 07 April, 2015, 02:07:12 pm »
Son of Rambo

Two kids in the 80s trying to make an action film for a competition.
Laugh out loud funny in places. Definitely worth watching.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5018 on: 07 April, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
Son of Rambow

FTFY and second the recommendation.

« Reply #5019 on: 07 April, 2015, 02:35:46 pm »
"The Water Diviner"

If you like to think that wars are a necessary means of settling human differences then you will not like this film.  I thought it was generally a good representation of the consequences and impacts on those involved.  Being based on history it has motivated the usual accusations of tendentious inaccuracy and 'Brit-bashing' from the obvious quarters.   From my own knowledge, I thought the events shown were sufficiently accurate, including the very early scenes, based on a courageous decision by General Monro that angered the author of the misadventure, one Winston Churchill.   

Worth seeing, IMO.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5020 on: 07 April, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »
Son of Rambow

Argh of course, they even mention the spelling mistake in the voiceover during the end credits !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5021 on: 07 April, 2015, 03:48:26 pm »
Son of Rambow

Argh of course, they even mention the spelling mistake in the voiceover during the end credits !

Cracking film, makes a great second half of a double bill if partnered with Role Models.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5022 on: 11 April, 2015, 11:49:31 pm »
Avengers was a bit long.  But had a kickass last half hour or so.  Hulk Smash!  :smug:

My favourite exchange:

Loki: But I'm a god!

Hulk: [smash smash smash smash] Puny god.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy

« Reply #5023 on: 11 April, 2015, 11:56:23 pm »
Snow White and The Huntsman.

Charlize Theron as an all around Bad Ass Bitch.

Ian McShane, Bob Hoskins, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, Ray Winstone and others as Dwarves? WTF  ;D

« Reply #5024 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:26:07 am »
Mr Turner

Did not live up to the hype. Yes, it looked stunning, but the film as a whole was a bit tedious.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Surprisingly good - much better than the first two.