Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959964 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5700 on: 24 November, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »
The Goonies

I bloody love that film.  It's absolutely fantastic.

Agreed. It is one of my all time fave films - and I'm being serious!

"Tell us everything!"
"Everything?!"
Milk please, no sugar.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5701 on: 24 November, 2015, 09:13:32 pm »
The Goonies

Starring an even shorter Sam Gamgee.

I bloody love that film.  It's absolutely fantastic.

Hey you Guuuuuys!

I love that film too!   :thumbsup: 

« Reply #5702 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:20:27 am »
I'd be interested to know what anyone who has never seen the original stage version thinks of this film.

The Lady in the Van.

Quote from: No1Daughter
I definitely feel like I've just seen a grown up film
and
It's mostly about him, though, isn't it?

Preceded by
Spectre
I didn't think I'd leave the house again if I went home after work, so I went straight to the flicks and saw this. I fell asleep in the first half hour... and was clock watching for the last half hour in a 'how much longer does this predictable tosh have' kind of way. I too thought it was a bit rapey.
I haven't enjoyed a Bond film, erm, ever, though, so it's hardly a surprise it didn't float my boat.

« Reply #5703 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
I'd be interested to know what anyone who has never seen the original stage version thinks of this film.

The Lady in the Van.

I definitely feel like I've just seen a grown up film
and
It's mostly about him, though, isn't it?

Preceded by
Spectre
I didn't think I'd leave the house again if I went home after work, so I went straight to the flicks and saw this. I fell asleep in the first half hour... and was clock watching for the last half hour in a 'how much longer does this predictable tosh have' kind of way. I too thought it was a bit rapey.
I haven't enjoyed a Bond film, erm, ever, though, so it's hardly a surprise it didn't float my boat.

We will go to watch Lady in the Van next.

If you "haven't enjoyed a Bond film, erm, ever" then why on god's green earth go and watch another?  There are plenty of walls around against which one may bash one's head, for free, too.  (I am not a Bond film addict!)

Move Faster and Bake Things

Chris S

« Reply #5704 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »
If you "haven't enjoyed a Bond film, erm, ever" then why on god's green earth go and watch another?  There are plenty of walls around against which one may bash one's head, for free, too.

* whispers past back of hand *
She's got a season ticket, and feels an obligation to get value for money. She watches some right duds...  ;)

« Reply #5705 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:45:19 pm »
If you "haven't enjoyed a Bond film, erm, ever" then why on god's green earth go and watch another?  There are plenty of walls around against which one may bash one's head, for free, too. 
:)

For sure, but they don't have comfy seats and (effectively) free heating.
I've got unlimited and it's all that was on (that I hadn't already seen) at the right time. I'd've enjoyed the nap except there were other people around and I've been known to snore.
She watches some right duds...  ;)
He speaks the truth.

« Reply #5706 on: 25 November, 2015, 04:54:54 pm »
The Hunger games trilogy

Caught the first one on Film 4 last week knowing nothing about it and Mrs Trekker and I enjoyed it so much we went out and bought the box set and watched the remaining two over the past week. The second one was good, third not so but with no games any longer they have to wrap up the story somehow. Queue much sultry staring to camera.

Going to watch the last part at the cinema though, and might even read the books at some point.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5707 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
Hmmm. Cinema season tickets ...

I'venever really thought about those. This may change how I view the Other People I see at the flicks - particularly near-empty showings ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5708 on: 25 November, 2015, 06:30:53 pm »
Tangerine

A long and largely cringeworthy build-up to a moving final scene.  File under "Ha ha only serious".

Points for casting (obviously) and for demonstrating that it's possible to shoot a proper film entirely on iThings.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5709 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:14:30 am »
Mad Max 3

With guest appearance from the Frying Pan of SPANG.  I, Cosmo Larringsman, maintain that the Mad Max series is getting sillier on a logarithmic scale; Mad Max was not at all silly, 2 was slightly silly, this was very silly and Fury Road was like being in the middle of a slapstick scene involving hammers made of silly putty.  George Miller is said to be planning two, if not three, further films.  This will stretch credulity some way beyond its elastic limit and if Max is finally revealed to be the Messiah then I'm heading to Australia to stamp on Dr Miller's glasses.

Also episodes 2-4 have essentially the same plot :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5710 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »

I'venever really thought about those. This may change how I view the Other People I see at the flicks - particularly near-empty showings ...
No1Daughter has one too, she goes with her mates, and sometimes on her own at 'odd' times- she works shifts.
Generally we go at least once a week. We don't do live telly, and from a purely financial point of view if you go more than once a month you've saved money. Of course, it doesn't really work like that, what actually happens is
She's got a season ticket, and feels an obligation to get value for money. She watches some right duds...  ;)
That.

fuzzy

« Reply #5711 on: 26 November, 2015, 02:01:44 pm »
The Interview

Very juvenile tosh about Kim Jong Un getting (and engaging in) 'Honeydicking'

;D

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5712 on: 27 November, 2015, 10:37:01 am »

No1Daughter has one too, she goes with her mates, and sometimes on her own at 'odd' times- she works shifts.
Generally we go at least once a week. We don't do live telly, and from a purely financial point of view if you go more than once a month you've saved money. Of course, it doesn't really work like that, what actually happens is
That.

I’ve got one too.

I’m feeling much less keen on using it now that Cineworld have gone to 100% digital projection – it’s not as good; that’s not film snobbery it just doesn’t deliver as good a picture.

The big plus is you get to walk out of films you’re not enjoying and not feel cheated (then quickly nip in and see something else).  Having said that I’ve not walked out of many films; the most recent was Bridesmaids.  Like all the performers in it, wasn’t enjoying the film so went to see something else.

I think I average about two films a month over the year (sometimes it’s two in one day, sometimes I won’t see one for a couple of months).  If the new Star Wars film is even moderately good I expect to get value for money from repeat viewings.

« Reply #5713 on: 01 December, 2015, 09:10:58 am »
Black Mass:  gruesomely violent depiction of real-life gangsters in Boston.  I'll never see Johnny Depp in the same light again and I never thought much of Boston anyway. 

Lady in the Van:  The good the bad and the ugly of human nature.  Worth watching.   

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5714 on: 06 December, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »
The Hunger Games Mockingjay I

Amazingly, having watched this come up on the BBFC (or whatever it is called) frontspiece we were subjected to The Hunger Games Mockingjay II. The lights were still on too, which, in a digital cinema I found quite surprising. A bloke dashed off and on his return said "they forgot". Forgot to turn the lights off in an automated cinema? To be fair, they also had forgotten to clean the auditorium after the previous shows. I narrowly avoided sitting on a dried pizza crust.

All was well though, popcorn and nachos covered in yellow slime sat in front of us. It was a public cinema after all!

It was good, but it was long. It was excellent to have shots of key characters gazing into the distance, like we used to have in movies, before Bourne. This was the end result of turning 1.5 Films into 2. You need filler.

Obviously not as bad as the Hobbit, which I haven't watched and have no intention of doing - I read the book. The hobbit is not a three film story. The last bit of Hunger Games is not a two film story.

Loads of boring tunnel tosh. Some stuff about living in a tiger's basement. Oh some babies are bombed. Oh the sister is dead. Oh who did that?! A bit more death then some nasty stuff done to a cat. Poor kitteh - it did not deserve that! But it acted well.

Finally a picnic setting. A baby that was as large as Jennifer Lawrence, and me wondering how they got these bottle of lemonade into this ruined Victors Village. Plus, where were these kids gonig to go to school...?
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #5715 on: 06 December, 2015, 11:57:47 pm »
Wanted- Weavers of old get attitude and start killing folk. This gives us Angelina Jolie with tatts, Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freemand and Mr Teatime slapping folk about. All set in Chicago.

Was good in my book but I'm easy to please.

« Reply #5716 on: 07 December, 2015, 02:01:07 pm »
Fail Safe 1964 version

Just thought I'd get in some prime time Cold War viewing.  It's still very good esp. compared to more hysterical US stuff produced subsequently.   How things have changed since then.  The special effects, I mean.   

Andrew

« Reply #5717 on: 10 December, 2015, 03:22:16 pm »
Carol - see it. Film of the year for me.

Stunningly shot, brilliantly acted, perfect pitch soundtrack. Blanchett once again shows what a brilliant actor she is,  and Rooney Mara damned near matches her. Films don't get better than this.

« Reply #5718 on: 10 December, 2015, 03:46:06 pm »
Wanted- Weavers of old get attitude and start killing folk. This gives us Angelina Jolie with tatts, Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freemand and Mr Teatime slapping folk about. All set in Chicago.

Was good in my book but I'm easy to please.

The film bore only a tangential resemblance to the graphic novel that apparently inspired it. Mind you, a faithful cinematic adaptation would have been 18/R-rated at best, and only after a lot of cuts to satisfy the censors/ratings agencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanted_(comics)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

spindrift

« Reply #5719 on: 11 December, 2015, 12:01:16 am »
I thought Wanted was a very nasty and unpleasant film that assumes every young man's fantasy was to humiliate female colleagues and fire guns round corners. Also getting a bit bored with Morgan Freeman doing his wise old man schtick.

« Reply #5720 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:44:48 am »
Ghost. My wife wanted to watch it. She gave up after 20 minutes  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5721 on: 11 December, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »
Victor Frankenstein

Just don't.

(click to show/hide)

Another on the 'she watches some right duds' pile.

« Reply #5722 on: 11 December, 2015, 11:56:06 pm »
Oldboy (2013 spike lee version)

No, I've never seen it before.

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5723 on: 12 December, 2015, 08:36:53 am »
The Matrix.

I fell asleep for half an hour during the middle of it, so wound it back and rewatched that bit.

It was an interesting experience. I can see why I've not rushed to rewatch it.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5724 on: 12 December, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »
I still quite enjoy the Matrix. The sequels. Meh.

It was one of those movies I had no idea about when I first saw it (we had one of those monthly cinema passes) so if it was raining we'd just go watch anything, on the grounds there was no loss if we walked out. It definitely benefited from a dose of wtf.