Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960251 times)

Jakob

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5775 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:54:03 am »
Hateful Eight (70mm version). Not sure. It's beautifully lit and shot. Gripping story, typical Tarantino over-the-top characters, but he.........................drags...........................................it......................out.....................

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5776 on: 26 December, 2015, 10:38:06 am »
Paddington

As a childhood fan of the animated TV series, I was instinctively against this film when it came out last year - it just looked wrong, with the cgi bear, and too much 'action' etc. But my wife has been desperate to see it for ages, so Father Christmas popped the DVD in her stocking and we watched it yesterday evening and... I bloody loved it. Laughed out loud several times, really sharp script and very well acted throughout. And I adored the style of it, with the dolls' house gimmick and the calypso band. Really very good indeed.

It can't compare to the TV series, which holds a special place in my heart, but it deserves to be judged on its own merits.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

« Reply #5777 on: 26 December, 2015, 11:00:45 am »
The Apartment - a 1960 Billy Wilder film with Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Fred MacMurray. Despite it's dubious morality and portrayal/treatment of women (which was, I think, it's point and so one must take account of the era of it's production), this was a remarkably entertaining watch. Jack Lemmon is excellent and the dialogue fizzes. It's maybe a tad too long but is none-the-less a recommended watch.

I watched Carol again, this time on the small screen. It's a brilliant movie, no question, but you miss a deal of the nuance of Blanchett's performance, she does so much with her eyes and micro-expressions. Makes me want to invest in a big screen and projector.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5778 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:31:12 pm »
Brave - the pixar thing on Christmas Day.

Scottish tom-boy princess rebels against arranged marriage to comedy "braveheart" scottish types.

Almost perfect (if you liked stuff like Up and Toy Storys anyway!).

(I'm not really bothered by the quality of modern animations ... but her hair! Just wow. )

The Double - Richard Ayoade's 2nd film, a dark comedy with Jesse Eisenberg in the title roles. Quite closely based on the Dostoevsky story, apparently (which I havent read, sorry. )

Not perfect! But intriguing. Undisguised homage to Brazil visually, but there's no harm in that.
I think I wanted something a bit less grim. And the final act was ambiguous:

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5779 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:13:20 pm »
Hateful Eight (70mm version). Not sure. It's beautifully lit and shot. Gripping story, typical Tarantino over-the-top characters, but he.........................drags...........................................it......................out.....................

Oh Christ .. it's 3 hours!!!

Why does he insist on doing this?

Djanjo Unchained was a great film but 45 mins too long.  So much dead time.  I think it's a big failing of Tarantino's that he mistakes boring scenes for tension-filled dialogue.

He needs to hand over his work to a good editor.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5780 on: 27 December, 2015, 12:31:02 am »
Speaking to my sister on the phone earlier, they were watching the entire Godfather trilogy.

I settled for Skyfall this evening, seen it before, but I do think Craig and Dalton got closest to the Fleming writing of Bond.

Watched the Dark Knight Rises over the weekend, but really couldn't follow the disjointedness and lost interest.     

Just finished reading 1984, want to watch that again now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jakob

« Reply #5781 on: 27 December, 2015, 02:45:11 am »

Djanjo Unchained was a great film but 45 mins too long.  So much dead time.  I think it's a big failing of Tarantino's that he mistakes boring scenes for tension-filled dialogue.

Apparently it's only the 70mm version that's that long..the general release will be shorter. I'll watch it again...maybe not in the cinema, but I'll definitely watch it again.

« Reply #5782 on: 27 December, 2015, 09:30:31 am »
The Birds.
Move Faster and Bake Things

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5783 on: 27 December, 2015, 11:23:30 am »
Chappie

I like Niell Blomkamp's films and this one does not disappoint. Mad Saffers, robots and an ED-209 clone.

Fun and funny, in places, bloody in others.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5784 on: 27 December, 2015, 03:56:38 pm »
The Birds.

I named my son Miitch after the lead character, 27 years ago.

[/familytrivia]
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5785 on: 27 December, 2015, 04:44:52 pm »
Chappie

I like Niell Blomkamp's films and this one does not disappoint. Mad Saffers, robots and an ED-209 clone.

Fun and funny, in places, bloody in others.

Saw that on Christmas Day.  Great film.  Now I must see District 9.

That same evening, we also watched Pixels.
Mr. Sandler is not one of my favourite cinematic artists, but that film was brilliant.   :thumbsup:   I well remember spending too much time and money in video arcades.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5786 on: 27 December, 2015, 07:18:33 pm »
District 9 was very good.  Chappie was not.  I remember the Tetra Vaal short he did, and thought it might be worth it, but I prefer Short Circuit.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5787 on: 27 December, 2015, 08:52:29 pm »
I enjoyed Chappie, but I don't think it'd stand up to re-watching.  It suffered from never being sure how cutesy it was trying to be, and the plot's general failure to make sense.

ian

« Reply #5788 on: 28 December, 2015, 12:40:25 pm »

This. It's been a downhill slide since Inglourious Basterds and those overextended scenes. Tarantino's dialogue is entertaining, no one forgets the riffs from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but they don't stand being extended into long scenes because people only talk like that in Tarantino films and that soon becomes gratingly obvious.

I'm off to see Star Wars this evening. Da-daaa da da da daaaa da da da daaaa!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5789 on: 28 December, 2015, 01:55:24 pm »

This. It's been a downhill slide since Inglourious Basterds

Pfffft. It's been downhill since Reservoir Dogs.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5790 on: 28 December, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »
Pulp Fiction was great, but after that, the law of diminishing returns applies. Inglourious Basterds was the movie that cried out for someone to tell Tarantino to cut. There was that awful, contrived scene in the basement that went on for what felt like forever and for all I know is still running. At least a third of the movie could have left on the floor and it would have been all the better for it. I'm a bit so-so on the violence too, I kind of get the shock value, but then it goes on and on, like it's being applied with a trowel. Less is sometimes more.

« Reply #5791 on: 28 December, 2015, 09:18:01 pm »
Sexy Beast.  Ben Kingsley makes a fantastic psychopath.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5792 on: 28 December, 2015, 09:47:58 pm »
Escape to Victory.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5793 on: 28 December, 2015, 09:55:50 pm »
Sabotage.  Brilliant film but not my favourite AH.
Milk please, no sugar.

red marley

« Reply #5794 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:21:40 pm »
Escape to Victory.  ;D

Is that the one that proves actors can't play football and footballers can't act?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5795 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:31:11 pm »
Escape to Victory.  ;D

Is that the one that proves actors can't play football and footballers can't act?
Since disproved by Vinnie. Surely?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5796 on: 28 December, 2015, 11:15:00 pm »
Based on Mr Jones' performance in:
  • a Wimbledon shirt, and
  • "Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels"
I'm not sure the latter counts as acting.  Except that he didn't try to twist off anyone's knackers in the latter.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

« Reply #5797 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:19:04 am »
Pulp Fiction was great, but after that, the law of diminishing returns applies. Inglourious Basterds was the movie that cried out for someone to tell Tarantino to cut. There was that awful, contrived scene in the basement that went on for what felt like forever and for all I know is still running. At least a third of the movie could have left on the floor and it would have been all the better for it. I'm a bit so-so on the violence too, I kind of get the shock value, but then it goes on and on, like it's being applied with a trowel. Less is sometimes more.

Wasn't too keen on Inglourious Basterds (although it does have it's moments), but I loved the first 2 acts of Django. 3rd act, not so much and I tend to skip it when I put it on.

« Reply #5798 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:35:28 am »
Luckily for me I watched Inglourious Basterds when the alternative would have been doing b*gger all in a foreign city where b*gger all happens until it is time to leave.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5799 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:14:21 am »
Escape to Victory.  ;D

Since disproved by Vinnie. Surely?!?
Eric Cantona's not the worst actor I've ever seen.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.