Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963957 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6700 on: 27 October, 2016, 09:54:18 am »
Yes we watched that.  Your review is good.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6701 on: 01 November, 2016, 09:21:53 am »
Let The Right One In

The saddest vampire film I ever saw. They had the US remake on BBC2 but I went for the original on the Horror channel, even though I've seen it before (cf Jaded).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6702 on: 01 November, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »
Monsters vs Aliens : Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space &
Monsters vs Aliens : Night of the Living Carrots

Halloween themed short follow-ups to the original Monsters vs Aliens.  Not quite as good as the original film, but still relatively humorous. ;D

(on BBC iPlayer for about a week, unless you're not in the UK, or don't have a TV license).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6703 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:27:09 am »
The Thin Red Line
I read the book some years ago, couldn't remember the plot or characters, just the general sense of it.

The film is visually stunning, but very confusing since two of the main characters have similar voices, faces (when covered in dirt) and both do voiceovers. Having watched all of the film and read the plot summary on wikipedia I'm still confused.

Terrific performance from nick nolte as an utterly revolting character.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6704 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:37:41 am »
The Thin Red Line is excellent.

I watched Renoir on catchup last night. Another visually stunning film. Its about August and Jean Renoir in the last year of WWI along with August's last model and Jeans future wife Andrée Heuschling.
Slow paced but haunting.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6705 on: 03 November, 2016, 11:17:10 am »
The Little Prince on Netflix.

I think I went into this with rather high standards, as the novella has been one of my favourite books ever since I was a child. I wasn't sure of the movie at first, and wasn't entirely sold on the "new" bits of the plot straight away, but quickly changed my mind. A really sweet film and well worth a watch.

fuzzy

« Reply #6706 on: 03 November, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »
I got a bit of a homo erotic fix by watching Top Gun the other night.

ian

« Reply #6707 on: 03 November, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »
I hated the Thin Red Line, sorry, one of those tedious exercises in auto-erotic auteurism. I've tried to watch it twice and fallen asleep the first time and given up the second time.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6708 on: 03 November, 2016, 04:49:08 pm »
It’s a great and brutal book – the real main character of the story is the company as a whole.

It’s quite a good film if you edit out all of the ‘fall of man from paradise’ stuff that the director shoehorned in.

There's an earlier version with wossisname from 2001 in that I've never seen.

« Reply #6709 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:37:50 pm »
"London has Fallen" The sequel to the masterpiece "The Whitehouse has Fallen", which was actually quite enjoyable trash.
I wouldn't call it good, but for a crappy action movie, it wasn't actually too bad.

« Reply #6710 on: 07 November, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »
Arrival.

I think I should report them for mis-selling.

« Reply #6711 on: 08 November, 2016, 06:20:29 pm »
Men & Chicken

I like an odd film, but that was seriously weird.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hillbilly

« Reply #6712 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:25:10 pm »
Nocturnal Animals

Best film I've seen so far this year. Great script, acting and direction. Can see it winning some awards come the Oscars.

« Reply #6713 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:41:22 am »
Men & Chicken

I like an odd film, but that was seriously weird.

I'm sure my local cinema doesn't show that sort of film.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6714 on: 09 November, 2016, 11:30:31 pm »
The Accountant.

I rather enjoyed that!  The friend I went with guessed the twist at the end.
Milk please, no sugar.

hillbilly

« Reply #6715 on: 11 November, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »
Doctor Strange

Marvel does Kung Fu Panda, via Inception and Heroes.  Thankfully it doesn't rely too much on the Avengers bloated universe.  Cumberbatch is surprisingly well cast, even if his accent is the equivalent of an aural uncanny valley.  Well designed but a little FX laden (and some of the FX confuses the action) with decent script that chugged along despite it being slow in places as it set up the premise.  Not essential viewing, but not a bad way to put off doing other things.

ian

« Reply #6716 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:13:13 pm »
Doctor Strange was OK if nothing special, relied a bit too much on VFX and the eponymous doctor never stopped being a bit annoying. At least Tony Stark does the ego-thing with panache and gets slapped down often enough.

Finally saw Ghostbusters, wasn't expecting much and it delivered no surprises. But I don't think I was that hot on the original, tbh. Apropos of nothing I managed to walk by Sigourney Weaver the other day without noticing. Apparently.

The Nice Guys which I enjoyed, a nice blend of 1970s LA set pieces and noir. The leads played off each other well, but the kid won out.

The Conjuring 2 which I quite enjoyed and managed to pack in a few shocks, plus some seventies nostalgia (clicking TV remote ftw), and the incongruity of landing gigawatt-toothed American ghosthunters in a late 1970s Enfield. Lights Out, another ghostly shenanigans thing, formulaically OK.

Finally The Shallows another one of the pesky shark versus humans (the sad reality is this). I think, to be fair, I like sharks more than surfers. Quite enjoyed it but I wasn't exactly 'nerve-shredded' as the blurb said. I did hide behind a pillow when watching The Conjuring 2 though.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6717 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:18:15 pm »
Arrival - intelligent and moving.  Well worth a look.

« Reply #6718 on: 16 November, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »
The Secret Life Of Pets

This actually did live up to the expectations of the trailer, which is largely just extracted directly from the start of the film.

It's a fun film, with lots of things happening at the side or rear of the image, as well as sounds not directly related to the story.  I keep on spotting things I didn't before, like Chloe sitting in a tiny box, the Super Mario Bros sound effects, the Some Like It Hot reference, and various appearances of Minion related items.

Good for kids and adults. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

fuzzy

« Reply #6719 on: 16 November, 2016, 01:58:51 pm »
Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom.

Was good.

hillbilly

« Reply #6720 on: 17 November, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »

I endorse this message.

(Tip: Don't go in thinking this is like Independence Day with smarts.  It's more like an M. Night Shyamalan film before he turned to shite, in a sci fi setting.  I found it strangely uplifting, if a little bit obvious towards the end.  Although, like M. Night Shyamalan films, whether I say that in retrospect or not is a mystery).

« Reply #6721 on: 17 November, 2016, 08:15:32 pm »
Seven Psychopaths - a film I've long had recorded on the PVR. I'm glad I finally got round to watch it. It ain't one to watch with kids nor on a first date. Gore & gruesomeness abound, as well as some very choice Anglo-Saxon liberally sprinkled throughout. I had to listen carefully as I heard the opening bars of Trumpton Riots by Half Man Half Biscuit in one scene & sure enough it was there. The icing on the cake.

I now need to watch In Bruges sober.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6722 on: 17 November, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »

I endorse this message.

(Tip: Don't go in thinking this is like Independence Day with smarts.  It's more like an M. Night Shyamalan film before he turned to shite, in a sci fi setting.  I found it strangely uplifting, if a little bit obvious towards the end.  Although, like M. Night Shyamalan films, whether I say that in retrospect or not is a mystery).

Saw it last night.  Best film I've seen in ages.  Loved it.
Milk please, no sugar.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6723 on: 18 November, 2016, 12:12:06 am »

I endorse this message.

Saw it last night.  Best film I've seen in ages.  Loved it.
We saw it together, with a friend. What struck me was watching Ruthie, whose body language was fixated. Me? I loved the film.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6724 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:35:47 am »
City of God again, with the missus this time. She'd been fighting shy of it - favela, violence, etc - but thoroughly enjoyed it in the end.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight