Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964474 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7400 on: 01 August, 2017, 10:27:30 pm »
Both Marigold Hotel films, back to back. What film should be. Lots and lots of tears mixed with out-loud laughter.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #7401 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:17:38 am »
Rewatched Heat after so many years.
How can a crime movie get better every time i see it?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7402 on: 07 August, 2017, 12:54:32 pm »
Funny, that: I go to sleep every time I see it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7403 on: 08 August, 2017, 05:59:40 pm »
Not since I endured The Expendables, have I wasted so much time on one film as I did recently on The Sweeney. Every cliche in the book, plus Ray Winstone as a sex god, FFS.

Just don't.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7404 on: 08 August, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
Moana

I know I'm way too old for this stuff but I still love a good Disney film and had high expectations for Moana after the rave reviews but it was awful. Crap story, crap songs, crap racial stereotypes.

Doctor Strange

This, on the other hand, was somewhat better than I was expecting - reminded me of The Matrix in many ways, which is a good thing, and the first Iron Man movie. Most modern superhero films are way too earnest and dull for my liking but this was quite fun. Largely thanks to Benny C.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7405 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:03:43 pm »
Rogue One (again).

I wasn't overly impressed the first time around, partly as I thought it departed too much from the first concept*, where Jyn was much more rebel/reluctant hero like and the movie being messy in general...but everyone around me thought it was one of the better SW movies, so I watched it again to figure out what I missed.
The space battle scenes are still the best in any of the movies, but the rest still only ranks above Ep1-3. Force Awakens held up better, I think...at least the story/character development flows a lot nicer.
The droid, however, is hilarious.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7406 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:04:02 am »
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

It's not sad, honest.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7407 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:54:17 pm »
Get Out.

Fantastic horror film. Reminded me of the Wickerman

« Reply #7408 on: 09 August, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »
Captain Underpants.

Peurile, toilet humour based summer holiday trash.  Not up there with Shrek 2 but the kids enjoyed it and there was no need to claw my eyes out like I might had I been dragged to see that awful Alvin and the Chipmonks grade rubbish which abounds our picture houses these days.

I quite enjoyed it.  Worth seeing if there's nothing better on.  Catchy theme tune by Weird Al.

6/10

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7409 on: 09 August, 2017, 05:29:19 pm »
The recent Bonnie and Clyde with Emile Hirsch and Holliday Grainger. It might not have been such a hit as the 1967 version but it was good enough to keep me awake for all of its 174 minutes.

« Reply #7410 on: 12 August, 2017, 12:58:14 pm »
This Is The End

I watched this, because it was compared to The World's End, as being a sort of USA equivalent.  I can see why the comparison is made, but I find the characters in This Is The End a whole lot more irritating.  Maybe that's because they're mostly USA actors playing caricatures (I hope!) of themselves.  I don't really know many of them, and the ones I do know aren't terribly well known, at least not outside of the USA.

The World's End is a sort of Apocalyptic film, where it isn't actually the Apocalypse, whereas This Is The End does portray the Apocalypse.  In both films, the characters manage to spend a lot of time complaining about things, which only complete idiots would do if the world was collapsing around them, which I suppose is part of the point of the films.  I just found the USA characters to be way more annoying and petty than Simon Pegg et al in The World's End.  Maybe that's just because both sets of characters are also somewhat cliched USA and English portrayals, and I relate to the Englishmen more.

On the other hand, I didn't pay much for the film, so I think I more or less got my money's worth out of it!  Worth watching, it has its good points, but don't expect too much.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7411 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »
The Infiltrator

Bryan Cranston plays a nice guy doing an awful job that means he has to consort with criminals (undercover customs officer who infiltrates Colombian drug cartel). Wonder why they gave him the part? It was OK but nothing special - mostly felt like I'd seen it all before. Also the fact that it was based on the autobiography of the main protagonist probably explains why he was portrayed as a sympathetic character. I suspect that he's much less likeable in real life.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Steph

« Reply #7412 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »
This is the End
I found the yank film to be irritating shite, full of 'characters' (i.e. famous people I was largely unaware of) pretending to play themselves in a profoundly unengaging and irritating way.

« Reply #7413 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:43:10 am »
Nightcrawler.  Jake Gyllenhall playing a ruthless, amoral conman.  You just know how bad it's gonna get when he starts his career stealing a bicycle.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7414 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:18:10 am »
The World's End.  Peggy delivers as usual: the Apocalypse and How I Learned to Love It. Fun.

Steph

« Reply #7415 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »
The World's End.  Peggy delivers as usual: the Apocalypse and How I Learned to Love It. Fun.

Without going into spoiler territory, there are a few moments in that film that work really well on a deeply serious level rather than comedy.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7416 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:25:40 pm »
Yup - though if it hadn't been Pegg & MF in it I wouldn't have let it run past the first 10 minutes.  Glad I did now, might even watch it again.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7417 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:33:50 pm »
I was massively disappointed with it the first time around, saw it again about a year later and was still disappointed.  Pity, I really wanted to like it - enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, loved Hot Fuzz but that one didn't work for me.

Preferred Paul to TWE (even though it was weak in places and not part of the Cornetto Trilogy).

I think Scott Pilgrim demonstrated just what Edgar Wright could do outside of the confines of the Spaced fraternity, would have been really interested in his version of Ant Man, but was not to be.  Looking forward to Baby Driver when I get a chance to see it (missed it in the cinema).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7418 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
Dogma, for maybe the fourth time.  I need a refresher every so often.

« Reply #7419 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
Maybe this should be in another thread, but I've just had an email from Amazon that they're closing Lovefilm. Apparently streaming should suffice. Well if any of the streaming services offered a decent selection without the price randomly changing from free to £££ every time the wind changes it might.

I watch four films a week, and pay roughly what the BBC would charge if I had the slightest interest in watching broadcast telly. Is it too much to ask for a decent selection of films? It looks like Cinema Paradiso are the last service standing.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7420 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:30:21 pm »
And this week's selection was...

The Rover

Australian post-apoc drama. Strangely compelling despite lack of story, lack of character development, full of plot holes and a budget of about 5p.

Neon Demon

Complete dross. I'm quite a fan of Nicholas Winding Refn, but this was shit. Don't bother.

Hugo

Family entertainment with a *very* eclectic cast. I didn't know half those actors were still alive.

Still Life

Eddie Marson, brilliant as usual, plays a conscientious council employee who is made redundant and makes sure his last cases are fully closed before he leaves. The cinematography is a bit odd in that it's made to look like it's in some unknown past time even though it's actually 2013, but overall it works well and has a perfect pace and balance. Recommended.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #7421 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »
Atomic Blonde.

Very enjoyable. Worth a watch. I expect we'll get it on DVD for a re watch when it comes out.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7422 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:26:54 am »
The Intouchables

Laughed a lot at this enjoyable French film.
It is simpler than it looks.

Chris S

« Reply #7423 on: 16 August, 2017, 06:29:30 pm »
Valerian

Unwatchable tosh. We walked out after fifteen minutes.

« Reply #7424 on: 16 August, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »
Valerian

Unwatchable tosh. We walked out after fifteen minutes.

Oh dear!  Mrs A has gone to see that..  She won't walk out unless the others do, just go to sleep.
Move Faster and Bake Things