Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960002 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7975 on: 12 March, 2018, 02:12:31 pm »
Deadpool. Puerile, but rather entertaining.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7976 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »
Annihilation on NF. Like a cliché-ridden knock-off of Ian McDonald's Chaga without a tenth of his originality but with battle fatigues and assault rifles for extra slaughterous US goodness.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7977 on: 13 March, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »
I'm a bit scared to venture into NF at the moment. The Cloverfield Paradox was enticingly inept but Mute was just awful and I should have stopped watching when the protagonist lost his voice in that most common malady of a the Amish: a family holiday speedboat accident. Now, I'll admit that I'm not the world's leading expert on the Amish (though I have an ex- whose mum is a lapsed Mennonite) but I don't figure that motorboat accidents appear highly in the statistics. Oh, and the bar brawls. Did the director not see Witness and remember the one thing the Amish are supposed to do when faced with confrontation, a significant tenet of their beliefs? Honestly, if you're going to spend a gazillion on a movie, at least fucking do some googling first.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7978 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:20:24 pm »
Baby Driver

Basically a very fun music video.  If you don't have a decent sound system then you'll miss 75% of the raison d'etre of this film.

Crank up the volume and the bass.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7979 on: 14 March, 2018, 01:08:25 pm »
^ Great film. Great acting. Great music.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7980 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:31:23 am »
I found that aside from the opening sequence, it was rather poor. I do not understand why people think it's good. The whole tendency with throwing a few 80s or 90s border culture hits at a movie (Atomic Blonde was guilty of this too) and then call it done is already old.

ian

« Reply #7981 on: 15 March, 2018, 09:01:29 am »
Indeed, I thought was a bit of a by-the-numbers heist movie with tunes thrown at it. Felt a bit like a decision made in conference room by white men in suits looking at Powerpoint and thinking about golf.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7982 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:17:44 am »
I do not understand why people think it's good.

Because they enjoyed it probably.

Samuel D

« Reply #7983 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:54:58 am »
Come on. Baby Driver was stylish, original, and loadsa fun. The music was great and the cars and driving sequences were enjoyable to watch, which is unusual bordering on unprecedented in action movies. It was full of clichés and had no depth but it wouldn’t have been an action film otherwise. Its creativity was precisely to turn a series of universally recognised clichés into an enjoyable romp … mostly by turning on the style.

The cinemas are clogged with derivative crap and unwatchable action and you pick on this one? Not fair.

ian

« Reply #7984 on: 15 March, 2018, 11:58:34 am »
Hey, I'm equal opportunity in my cinematic bullying. I'll admit I'm not much of a fan of the bank robbing genre, but it seemed like a by-the-numbers example that had some music thrown at it. It passed a couple of hours in a plane seat, but I didn't really get the raves, but as my mum says, I'm a very special child. I also have so much cynicism that I have to push it around in a stolen supermarket trolley.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7985 on: 15 March, 2018, 12:36:24 pm »
I found that aside from the opening sequence, it was rather poor. I do not understand why people think it's good. The whole tendency with throwing a few 80s or 90s border culture hits at a movie (Atomic Blonde was guilty of this too) and then call it done is already old.

The opening sequence was awesome, and it's a rare example of mainstream cinema doing sign language properly.  The rest was a competently stylish crime movie.

ian

« Reply #7986 on: 15 March, 2018, 12:49:46 pm »
They should have made him Amish. He could have been deafened at, erm, a rock concert. The Amish, as you all know, rock. You could put Def Leppard on top of a unbalanced washing machine during a fast spin cycle and they wouldn't rock as much as they do in Lancaster Co. Why did Jesus have a mullet? Rock, that's why.

There's few movies, as I'm finding in my head, that wouldn't benefit from a unlikely Amish lead.

fuzzy

« Reply #7987 on: 15 March, 2018, 11:42:12 pm »
On recomendation form some of you lot, I watched IOcarus tonioght on Netflix.

A bit thought provoking. Just goes to show that any foolproof system can be fooled.

« Reply #7988 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:14:07 pm »
Come on. Baby Driver was stylish, original, and loadsa fun. The music was great and the cars and driving sequences were enjoyable to watch, which is unusual bordering on unprecedented in action movies. It was full of clichés and had no depth but it wouldn’t have been an action film otherwise. Its creativity was precisely to turn a series of universally recognised clichés into an enjoyable romp … mostly by turning on the style.

The cinemas are clogged with derivative crap and unwatchable action and you pick on this one? Not fair.

Opening sequence was stylish and fun. The rest, not so much. Most of the cast were so 1-dimensional that I was surprised they didn't disappear when they turned around.

I like heist/gangster movies. This one I didn't.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7989 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:28:55 am »
Halfway through Bullet Head. Still trying to decide if it's ingenious drollery or just boring with the odd bit of slapstick.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7990 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:53:33 pm »
On recomendation form some of you lot, I watched IOcarus tonioght on Netflix.

A bit thought provoking. Just goes to show that any foolproof system can be fooled.

Especially when the money-men are happy to be fooled.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

fuzzy

« Reply #7991 on: 25 March, 2018, 11:57:00 pm »
The Counsellor

Ridley Scott film starring Michael Fassbender as a lawyer getting involved in a drug deal. Penelope Cruz is his girlfriend, Javier Bardem, Bradd Pitt and Cameron Diaz are other protagonists.

Two lovely cheetah as extras and Cameron makes an interesting use of a Ferrri windscreen......

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7992 on: 26 March, 2018, 04:37:04 pm »
"Hey! You boys at the back! Yes, you know who you are. Stop knocking Baby Driver!" It was a thoroughly enjoyable film, and one that I had no preconceptions about, other than that my niece is head-over-heels in love with the young chap who is the baby driver, who is 'gorge' apparently, and what more do you want. Fact.

Another film I saw a couple of weeks ago, which again I knew nothing about prior to seeing it, was Get Out directed by Jordan Peele. Odd film.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7993 on: 28 March, 2018, 03:01:56 am »
To be fair, Baby Driver did use Jon Spencer Blues Explosion for the opening sequence, which does give it a lot of bonus points.

« Reply #7994 on: 29 March, 2018, 11:24:08 am »
Justice League

Not a bad bit of escapism, overall.  I think it suffered a bit by taking itself a little too seriously.  The whole "Oh my gods, Superman is dead" thing, seemed a bit too dramatic.  It definitely wasn't up to the standards of Marvel's Avengers stuff, but wasn't too bad.

I was amused by "What are your superpowers again?", and I now understand why they always have Sheldon, in The Big Bang Theory, dressing up as The Flash, because they are almost the same person. :)

I did watch the second half of the film, whilst eating my breakfast, which may not be the optimal time for film appreciation.  ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #7995 on: 29 March, 2018, 01:13:17 pm »
Saw Justice League on the plane, not nearly as bad or po-faced as I feared based on the Batman vs. Superman rubbish that preceded it.

It was OK. I guess they had to cut the teenage orgy then they wrote the screenplay. I don't like clowns. Why did anyone think clowns were a good idea? Clowns in sewers is even worse.

American Made used Tom Cruise perfectly. No idea how true it was, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Dunkirk. It's still noisy even on a jet (awesome in the Imax btw). Entertaining enough, though as people have complained, the beaches look about as crowded as Blackpool on a wet Wednesday morning in November, rather than the panicked clamour of a half-million of so of desperate troops.

Three Billboards was very good.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7996 on: 30 March, 2018, 07:11:20 pm »
DID NOT watch what has to be the early winner in my annual "search for the shittest film in the reduced pile". Current all-time winner is till 'Left Behind'.

American Armageddon, aka Amerigeddon. The selling points on the cover are that it has lots of guns, explosions, guns, helicopters and guns, and while I read the blurb thinking "This is another Sharknado style piss-take" the film is alleged to have been made with serious intent. Here's the plot.

A terrorist organisation has cut all power supplies in the US, aided by that global terror network the United Nations. It is up to a number of well-armed patriots...

No. That is all you need to know.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #7997 on: 30 March, 2018, 07:33:41 pm »
My Name Is Joe

Ken Loach film about a Glaswegian alcoholic. Much, much better than it sounds. It's been on my waitlist for ages. One of the best Ken Loach films I've seen (though still suffers from the trademark poor sound, which, coupled with the strong accents made it a bit of a struggle).

Jar City

Icelandic murder mystery, recommended to me by the Prof OTP[1] and well worth watching. The dark, deadpan, Icelandic humour[2] is a current throughout, underneath the grey and harsh environment, with a cracking story.

1: Actually, she/he recommended the book, but I don't read Icelandic so it would have been tough
2: Cf: Rams
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7998 on: 30 March, 2018, 07:55:46 pm »
"Jar City" is available in translation, y'know :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7999 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
 :facepalm:

Thanks - just ordered a copy. 87p delivered, from the US. How can that be a thing?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.