Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 531122 times)

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9050 on: July 31, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »
And thusly the weekend. I sense a looming apocalypse. Or it might just be the bulk of a Chunky Baldwin blocking out the sun. I hope he doesn't give me sparkly babies.

I've not had this much fun as the time I watched all the Nic Cage films (I'm told there are new ones, I really want to see the Color Out of Space on account that Cthulhu is Finestre's second cousin twice removed).
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #9051 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:32 pm »
Blade runner 20wotsaname. Mmm ok ish.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9052 on: July 31, 2020, 10:55:15 pm »
Knives Out.

I really enjoyed that. And when I turned down getting another drink because I thought we were nearly at the end I found we were only an hour it and I was soengrossed the time had flown by  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well worth a watch and for those that have Amazon Prime it has just become available to watch for 'free'.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9053 on: August 01, 2020, 08:04:42 am »
Started watching Babel yesterday, but it was too late, I was too tired adn couldn't keep it straight in what passes for my BRANES so gave up and went to grumble about the temperature in the bedroom
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9054 on: August 01, 2020, 10:58:18 am »
I've not had this much fun as the time I watched all the Nic Cage films (I'm told there are new ones, I really want to see the Color Out of Space on account that Cthulhu is Finestre's second cousin twice removed).

I had to check this, because Cthulhu doesn’t appear in the book, but it seems he's made it into the film :thumbsup:  Also, Terrible Things happen to some alpacas.  I'm not sure L.P. Hovercraft would have recognised an alpaca, but he certainly wouldn’t have put one in Arkham.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9055 on: August 01, 2020, 08:13:09 pm »
Unhinged.

It was shocking to see how much weight Russell Crowe has put on. Gladiator?  Not these days, pal.
Sic transit and all that..

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #9056 on: August 02, 2020, 10:14:23 am »
There are actors who wax and wane as the part demands, but Crowe doesn't look like one of them.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #9057 on: August 02, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »
Book of Eli (again)  I really like that film

« Reply #9058 on: August 02, 2020, 05:52:10 pm »
The Bucket List  :'(

ian

« Reply #9059 on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:54 pm »

I had to check this, because Cthulhu doesn’t appear in the book, but it seems he's made it into the film :thumbsup:  Also, Terrible Things happen to some alpacas.  I'm not sure L.P. Hovercraft would have recognised an alpaca, but he certainly wouldn’t have put one in Arkham.

True enough he doesn't. I used to live in a spooky bit of New England (I put the noise in the Quiet Corner). Never did find Arkham.

Anyway, the movie in question doesn't appear to have turned up on a streaming service near me yet. It's bound to feature Mr Cage going suitably unhinged as only he can as the mysterious happenings take their toll.

ian

« Reply #9060 on: August 03, 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
More goodness at the weekend. Earthstorm, Chunky Baldwin was back (looking less chunky and less stoned, but terrible, terrible hair). Cynics may have called it a rip-off of Armageddon, but whatever. Asteroid smacks into the moon, oh noes, moon rock is pelting the Earth and the moon itself is losing mass, adjusting its orbit, and threatening to pull itself apart and trounce the Earth. For several milliseconds it came perilously close to science, but then they saved themselves by declaring the best way to stop the moon breaking in half was magnetism.

Anyway, it's catastrophe in the making, and by now you to know how we avert a catastrophe. Say it with me people, say it with me: nuclear bombs. On the Moon. It's always nuclear bombs. But not just plain old nuclear bombs, these were magnetic nuclear bombs. Chunky Baldwin the roughneck demolitions expert willing to turn his hand to a bit of lunar nuclearing. The female lead had entrancing freckles.

Seattle Superstorm. The title really sums it up. The ever-dependably silly US military blasts a UFO that isn't a UFO that is threatening to fall on the Earth. So it falls on the Earth. A chunk of lands in the Seattle harbour, fuming away. Some splendid off-kilter chemistry is invoked (chemistry has got a lot better since my A level, for sure). And Russians. Pesky bickering teenage kids (who all look about 30, but they age differently over there). Global disaster is aversion takes a different track via heavy water. Disappointing lack of nuclear bombs, but you can't have everything. Kids solve their differences (in case you were worrying).

Geo-Disaster. Actually, this one went all out with an apocalyptic checklist. Volcanoes. Check. Earthquakes. Check. Storms. Check. Arguing teenage kids. Check. Mega-twister. Check. Oh, and dark matter. Which pierced the Earth like a bullet causing the aforementioned problems. Other than the kids, who were for once, plausibly teenage enough for you to want to keep clear of Prince Andrew.

I keep finding these movies. They're gloriously addictive. I think 500mph Storm may be next.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #9061 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
I'm kind of sad that I lost interest in cheesy disaster movies when I realised I was living through one, and unfortunately this one doesn't appear to have been written by Russell T Davies[1].  Since I'm far too old to be a bickering teenager, and my freckles fall somewhat short of entrancing, I'm left with being some sort of redshirt-lesbian-hacker-scientist cliche, and we all know what their chances of survival are.  I suppose if there's a submarine I might make it to the second act, but I've been trying to avoid those on account of all the gruesome dismemberment headlines.  Maybe I should get a dog?

[1] Obviously if it were, I'd be busy saving the world with little more than a snarky comment and a yo-yo.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #9062 on: August 04, 2020, 07:26:30 am »
I'm kind of sad that I lost interest in cheesy disaster movies when I realised I was living through one, and unfortunately this one doesn't appear to have been written by Russell T Davies[1].  Since I'm far too old to be a bickering teenager, and my freckles fall somewhat short of entrancing, I'm left with being some sort of redshirt-lesbian-hacker-scientist cliche, and we all know what their chances of survival are.  I suppose if there's a submarine I might make it to the second act, but I've been trying to avoid those on account of all the gruesome dismemberment headlines.  Maybe I should get a dog?

[1] Obviously if it were, I'd be busy saving the world with little more than a snarky comment and a yo-yo.

POTD

Erm, have you tried making some snarky comments and swinging a yo-yo? Might be just what we need.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9063 on: August 04, 2020, 07:49:43 am »
Darkest Hour.

An enjoyable romp through the beginnings of the Second World War, following Gary Oldman as he squeezed into a Churchill suit. It was interesting that Churchill’s failings were more than hinted at, although not in a way as strong as Black Lives Matter.

As I watched him at the Despatch Box I was minded to think what a nincompoop popinjay we have as Prime Minister today.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #9064 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:35 am »
Olympus Has Fallen. Basically: Die Hard.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #9065 on: August 04, 2020, 08:30:38 am »
I keep finding these movies. They're gloriously addictive. I think 500mph Storm may be next.

One of J. G. Ballard's disaster novels was called The Wind From Nowhere. It involved a 500 mph wind, but this ain't that. 2.2/10 on Imdb, probably for spelling the title correctly.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #9066 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:28 am »

Isn't that a standard winter breeze on Lewis?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9067 on: August 04, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »

POTD

Erm, have you tried making some snarky comments and swinging a yo-yo? Might be just what we need.

Kim is actually Paul Hewitt in disguise?  Who knew?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #9068 on: August 04, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
Knives Out.

I really enjoyed that. And when I turned down getting another drink because I thought we were nearly at the end I found we were only an hour it and I was soengrossed the time had flown by  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well worth a watch and for those that have Amazon Prime it has just become available to watch for 'free'.

I enjoyed that as well. Not least Daniel Craig's accent.