Author Topic: AUK Website and online entry  (Read 53607 times)

London Edinburgh London

Re: AUK Website and online entry
« Reply #450 on: 06 March, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »
Would that not, serendipitiously, blow the 50% rule clean out of the water?
If I can organise a calendar ride with minimal red tape then I might as well put all my DIYs through the calendar and I have effectively got a loop hole.
]

Let's hope so. I never agreed with it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #451 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »
Would that not, serendipitiously, blow the 50% rule clean out of the water?
If I can organise a calendar ride with minimal red tape then I might as well put all my DIYs through the calendar and I have effectively got a loop hole.
Let's hope so. I never agreed with it.
They'd still be (group) perms, n'est-ce pas?

Hillbilly

« Reply #452 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
I don't really undertand the advantages of going regional.  AUK have resisted this for 30 years and the country hasn't grown any bigger.  Once you get up to distances of 400km plus, the events tend to cross several regional boundaries anyway.   
Is this about event clashes, or 'seeding' to spread them around -
or is it about reducing travel - or what.

My opinion is based on the lack of an SR series in the South East.  The model of relying on individuals in a particular area, with little or no direction from the national body, has arguably failed in an area that is likely to have the highest headcount of cyclists in the UK. 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #453 on: 06 March, 2013, 05:54:11 pm »
I've organised quite a few audax rides with distances up to 600km and fields of up to double figures, however, none of these have been calendar events.  I've used YACF and the Audax Ecosse Facebook group to share routes, identify dates and sign up participants - I view this as the web 2.0 side of audax with a strong social networking element to the activity.  The people who take part in these rides also tend to be the people who ride almost every calendar event in Scotland and also include most of the active organisers.  These rides do not therefore detract from the calendar based events and in my mind they are actually the foundation for an audax future in Scotland.

You could view these events as the VIP room of Scottish audax :D

Hillbilly

« Reply #454 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »
I did have in the back of my mind how things are done in Scotland, which strikes me as  a region which is more cohesive than most and which has (my perception) a relatively growing AUK scene.  Mind you, it includes YLG's events, which do a sterling (or should that be stirling) job of keeping the full blown calendar events alive and thriving. 

Of course, it also helps that you chaps are so telegenic.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #455 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
I did have in the back of my mind how things are done in Scotland, which strikes me as  a region which is more cohesive than most and which has (my perception) a relatively growing AUK scene.  Mind you, it includes YLG's events, which do a sterling (or should that be stirling) job of keeping the full blown calendar events alive and thriving. 

Of course, it also helps that you chaps are so telegenic.

We have a decent set calendar events, it's just that they don't fill every weekend and there is an appetite amongst some riders for more rides.  Our group perms and DIYs also tend to be a lot more sociable than calendar events, so it adds to the variety of the audax smorgasbord.

« Reply #456 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
If the web people are still reading, embedding a tencc YouTube channel on the aukweb front page would be awesome. I'm envisioning something like VideoGaiden for Audax.

« Reply #457 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:16:46 pm »
We have a decent set calendar events, it's just that they don't fill every weekend and there is an appetite amongst some riders for more rides.
Is that wrt you locally, or nationally?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #458 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »
We have a decent set calendar events, it's just that they don't fill every weekend and there is an appetite amongst some riders for more rides.
Is that wrt you locally, or nationally?

I am referring to nationally i.e. Scotland

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #459 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
have there been 100 pages and several threads about the brilliant new homepage of the auk site? Next six weeks of events, clearly laid out, bold text, etc etc, a really clever idea. If i missed the comments, sorry, but it's really clever. I commend it to The House.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #460 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »
have there been 100 pages and several threads about

Yes.

[irrespective of how that sentence ends]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #461 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:13:22 am »
have there been 100 pages and several threads about the brilliant new homepage of the auk site? Next six weeks of events, clearly laid out, bold text, etc etc, a really clever idea. If i missed the comments, sorry, but it's really clever. I commend it to The House.
I do not think I understand web sites. This brilliant new idea saves one click. I know I sounded jaded but has this made any difference?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #462 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:15:43 am »
I think this is what they call a quick win.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #463 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:17:49 am »
I do not think I understand web sites. This brilliant new idea saves one click. I know I sounded jaded but has this made any difference?

BB
Well, there is now even LESS stuff explaining Audax events to the newcomer ;)
(remember - 2 clicks was apparently "too many" for such people ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #464 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:49:00 am »

BB
Well, there is now even LESS stuff explaining Audax events to the newcomer ;)
(remember - 2 clicks was apparently "too many" for such people ... )

I think probably, given the context of your post matt, you mean FEWER stuff.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #465 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:20:06 am »

BB

Yes got me 2 more entrants to an event.   they had looked at the old front page and then closed it,  after I mentioned that it had changed they then looked and entered.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #466 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:21:03 am »

I know.  I completely agree with you but the reaction has been ... interesting.  And possibly educational.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #467 on: 07 March, 2013, 08:45:28 am »

BB

Yes got me 2 more entrants to an event.   they had looked at the old front page and then closed it,  after I mentioned that it had changed they then looked and entered.

Geoff

Yay!
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #468 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:25:08 am »

BB

Geoff

Yeah but remember they won't be real audaxers as they weren't prepared to go looking for information so obviously will have no chance of completing a ride ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #469 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:35:46 am »
Two days ago, I circulated a link to AUK’s website around members of the Bicycle Users Group ( BUG of mainly C2W guys ) where I work.

Responses have returned and by far the most popular comment was a sentence with the words “too long” in it.  ;)

I initially asked for comments about the website, and not necessarily its content.
A selection of comments for this were:

‘Link to handbook should be on the Homepage’,
‘Like how the links light up yellow’,
‘Great. Easy to use’.
‘Entering by PayPal is easy’,

There were no negative comments about the construction and ease of navigation around the website.

I am working on a few of them to enter some 100s  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #470 on: 07 March, 2013, 09:38:24 am »
Two days ago, I circulated a link to AUK’s website around members of the Bicycle Users Group ( BUG of mainly C2W guys ) where I work.

Responses have returned and by far the most popular comment was a sentence with the words “too long” in it.  ;)

I initially asked for comments about the website, and not necessarily its content.
A selection of comments for this were:

‘Link to handbook should be on the Homepage’,
‘Like how the links light up yellow’,
‘Great. Easy to use’.
‘Entering by PayPal is easy’,

There were no negative comments about the construction and ease of navigation around the website.

I am working on a few of them to enter some 100s  :thumbsup:

Thanks for going out and the feedback as they are better reviewers of the site than any of us on here.

Oh and good luck with getting them to ride some BPs :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #471 on: 07 March, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »
I've just spent lunch time on RUSA's website and San Francisco Randonneurs' website.

I don't think AUK have anything to worry about.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #472 on: 07 March, 2013, 11:15:50 pm »
Just found my calendar where's the like button
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #473 on: 07 March, 2013, 11:56:51 pm »
I think this is what they call a quick win.
I have worked in IT for a long time and in the business I am in this term "quick win" has come to mean something that initially looks good but offers no real benefit.

Is this what the interweb thing is all about?

If you have pictures and make people read your page for three seconds and not the normal two?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #474 on: 08 March, 2013, 07:49:33 am »
I find the 'KISS' principle works.  ;)