Author Topic: AUK Website and online entry  (Read 53340 times)

Re: AUK Website and online entry
« Reply #475 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:09:58 am »
I still like to see some pics of folks on bikes.... but the front page focus on the rides themselves (instead of some arcane "strategy document")  is big improvement IMO.
It is the rides after all that Audax is about.
Personally I think it's less aboutthe number of clicks and more about "first impressions".

« Reply #476 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
I find the 'KISS' principle works.  ;)
+1  :thumbsup:

And now a few words from a 'would be' Otto West ........
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #477 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:27:21 am »
I still like to see some pics of folks on bikes....

Yebbut - audaxers?  Really??  They are not, generally, a pretty sight.

Plus there is a small practical problem of, when one finds a suitable photo (medium-sized bunch, heading vaguely towards camera), obtaining permissions from everybody.  Almost worth setting up a photo shoot specially - fine weather preferred, only the beautiful need apply.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #478 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:43:55 am »
I don't think that would need to happen.

Using normal Audax photos would be using pictures of persons photographed in public places. There is no requirement for permission for the photo in this situation other than getting permission to use it from the photographer. It may be good manners however.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #479 on: 08 March, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
It's not the actual legal situation which is the problem - it's the potential for correspondence and discussion and explanation etc etc etc, with multiple people.  Same as when you photograph the houses of Parliament and then have to explain yourself to a dim plod.  It ends up amounting to the same thing - in other words, something to be avoided.

We don't obtain permissions for Arrivee cover shots - but somehow, people feel they have to be more sensitive about the web ...

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #480 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Yebbut - audaxers?  Really??  They are not, generally, a pretty sight.

Plus there is a small practical problem of, when one finds a suitable photo (medium-sized bunch, heading vaguely towards camera), obtaining permissions from everybody.  Almost worth setting up a photo shoot specially - fine weather preferred, only the beautiful need apply.

I've put loads of photos of audaxers on the LEL facebook page. In ones and twos, riding and stood in groups.

I've never had a complaint, and the photos are very popular with both the people in the photographs and the people reading the page. The Facebook page is incredibly busy, while the LEL group on here gets far fewer posts.

People like photos!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #481 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:06:02 am »
To be quite honest when I read arrivee, I rarely read much of the actual text, I only usually look at the photos.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #482 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:11:33 am »
me too

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #483 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:12:13 am »
I think this is what they call a quick win.
I have worked in IT for a long time and in the business I am in this term "quick win" has come to mean something that initially looks good but offers no real benefit.

Curious, I worked in IT for years and the term "quick win" was almost invariably used to describe something that was a visible step forward for minimal effort. It may have been a short-term solution to take some pressure off while a longer term fix was being developed but it always represented an improvement.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #484 on: 08 March, 2013, 10:43:45 am »
I have worked in IT for a long time and in the business I am in this term "quick win" has come to mean something that initially looks good but offers no real benefit.

Curious, I worked in IT for years and the term "quick win" was almost invariably used to describe something that was a visible step forward for minimal effort. It may have been a short-term solution to take some pressure off while a longer term fix was being developed but it always represented an improvement.

What you describe sounds like a 'Temporary Remedial Action'. Or wher I work, a 'TRA - la la.'

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #485 on: 08 March, 2013, 11:20:31 am »

What you describe sounds like a 'Temporary Remedial Action'. Or wher I work, a 'TRA - la la.'

:)

We always called it a "quick win" although there was one particular senior manager who always like the "quick win" and yet his proposals were usually anything but quick and it was highly doubtful whether they even remotely counted as a "win". Aside from that he had the idea down pretty well.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Phil W

« Reply #486 on: 08 March, 2013, 07:55:00 pm »
I've added LEL to my calendar :-)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #487 on: 10 March, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »
It's one of those fractal threads.

Is that like the R-H side of a BB after a drunken mechanic's been at it?

« Reply #488 on: 11 March, 2013, 07:38:10 am »
However the limited copy on the front of the page contains far too much sizzle and far too little meat. The rudimentary artwork looks amateurish, despite the well-considered layout. There is not a single event on the front page, nor a single image of cyclists, cycling, audax events or audax riders. There are no links to events, nor any suggestion that there are events that might be worth looking at.

The calendar page is profoundly forbidding. For a newcomer, there is no guidance, no leading to events that might be of particular interest. Many of the event have no information other than a name, a date, a start point and a distance.
Totally agree, and I write as a web design professional. BUT it's part of the charm of the AUK site that it looks like it was designed in 1996. Ditto Arrivee's layout: functional but lost in time. I wouldn't have it any other way.

« Reply #489 on: 11 March, 2013, 07:51:07 am »
The Quality Dept of a multinational company held a presentation to the board of directors to show how quality had improved over the previous financial year.
The company’s spend on Warranty repairs had reduced by 18 million pounds stirling.

The company’s CEO commented he didn’t like the shade of green the report author had used.

Moral, - “Whatever you do, someone is gonna moan at stuff that doesn't matter.”

The AUK website is fine.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #490 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:19:33 am »
I think the moral is: Ignore.
It is simpler than it looks.

Hillbilly

« Reply #491 on: 12 March, 2013, 06:56:10 pm »
MyCalendar.

:thumbsup:

Loving the way things are being rolled out with a minimum of fuss.  Very audax.

Martin

« Reply #492 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:19:24 pm »
any chance that the upcoming events on the front page could show AAA? maybe even the correct Grimpeur medal  :thumbsup: