Author Topic: GPS for Audax - which one?  (Read 6807 times)

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
GPS for Audax - which one?
« on: 16 April, 2013, 11:34:05 pm »
I've recently dipped a toe into the world of GPS for cycling with a nice little app for my old Window Mobile phone.  While the app works reasonably well I realise that it's nowhere near as functional and user friendly as a dedicated unit.  As I don't want to spend much money (having spent nothing to get to the functionality which I already have) I will probably be looking at picking up a second hand unit on Ebay. 

It looks like the choice is coming down to the Etrex Summit, Legend or Vista.  Can anyone give me any guidance on which of these is best suited for Audax use (including GPS validation).  I'm not too worried about bells and whistles, but I would like to know whether the colour screen and the memory card option make much difference in practice.   

thanks
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: GPS for Audax - which one?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2013, 07:39:38 am »
Either a Garmin eTrex E20 or E30 will suit your needs.  I use an E30 for audaxing.  The benefits are the units are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, have all the functionality you need plus, most importantly in my view, run on AA batteries so it's easy to take spares. Having said that my E30 will give 24 hours use.

You then need to decide which mapping software you're going to use.

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2013, 07:57:27 am »
Another etrex 30 user here. Also got an hcx vista I've passed on to my wife's bike.

If you don't want bells and whistles (cadence and hr), etrex 20 is equivalent to the old etrex (legend / vista) without the problem of the 'rubber band'. It also has a nicer bar / stem mount. I think the firmware changes are a step back, but it's not a deal breaker. Either a legend hcx or an etrex 20 would be a good solution.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2013, 08:28:44 am »
I have an eTrex 20 and it is better than a smart phone for actual navigation

Plus points
  • batteries last a long time
  • bounces when you drop it
  • operated by switches not touch screen
  • clips nicely to bars
  • guide by Frankly Frankie on how to setup for audaxing http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

Minus
  • expensive, £100+ and you need to add batteries, sd card etc
  • it's a gps that needs feeding files of routes

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2013, 08:45:00 am »
^^^  Nicely summed up.  Nuff said.

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2013, 01:40:02 pm »
From when I had an eTrex and an Edge 605.

The eTrex had facility to 'Mark' a Waypoint into its listing, and allow the user to use that Waypoint to construct a Route in 'Stand alone' mode, ie NOT connected to computer.
The Edge didn't do this.

Therefore, for Audax, eTrex.

You will be able to sit anywhere, 'Marking' points on the map as Waypoints, then construct the Route with these marked Waypoints.

Not so the Edge ??? It is a cycle racing data recorder, not specifically a guidance tool.

And then when you've bought your eTrex 30 and loaded OpenCycleMaps, talk to Ben T OTP.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
Edge 705 for me, but then I bought it to do both navigation and recording HR and Power data.

Before that I used a plain old yellow Garmin eTrex. No maps but pre-prepared routes were easy to follow on it.

Sadly there's nothing that does both ANT+ recording [edit] including powertap data [/edit] and takes AA batteries; otherwise I'd upgrade. (I know you can do external battery packs but they're not as simple as just sticking fresh batteries in every so often).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »
Edge 705 for me, but then I bought it to do both navigation and recording HR and Power data.

Before that I used a plain old yellow Garmin eTrex. No maps but pre-prepared routes were easy to follow on it.

Sadly there's nothing that does both ANT+ recording and takes AA batteries; otherwise I'd upgrade. (I know you can do external battery packs but they're not as simple as just sticking fresh batteries in every so often).

Is there a Garmin Forerunner that has ANT for HR and PowerTap, plus 'DIY by GPX' et al ?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:08:43 pm »
Doesn't the Etrex 30 do ANT+?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »

It does, but it doesn't have any of the functionality for handling Powermeters that connect over ANT+.

« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »
Is there a Garmin Forerunner that has ANT for HR and PowerTap, plus 'DIY by GPX' et al ?

Again, none that do PowerTap data, even if they didn, they still don't take AA batteries.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »

It does indeed - for heartrate, cadence and temperature.  I don't think it understands wheel speed sensors (a bit redundant, really) or power meters, unfortunately.

To the OP: The discontinued eTrex HCx models are also suitable for Audax.  I recommend the Legend or Vista (only difference between the two are the compass (useless on a bike) and altimeter (for smoother elevation readings), if you can still find them.  Don't bother with the even older non-HCx models, they're into the world of serial ports and crippling lack of on-board memory, which is only going to be a source of frustration later on.  I'd be wary of second-hand units that have actually seen a proper amount of use - the rubber surround becomes slack and compromises the buttons/waterproofing with age (presumably heat and/or UV exposure exacerbate the process).

I've recently replaced my much-loved but faulty Vista HCx with the new functional equivalent, the eTrex 30.  The hardware is lovely (they finally did away with that sily rubber band surround, and the new-style bike mount is neater).  The software is annoyingly different (some useful HCx features are dumbed down or missing, plus plenty of new ones), but it does the job well enough once you know what you're doing.

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2013, 05:23:21 pm »

Again, none that do PowerTap data, even if they didn, they still don't take AA batteries.

??? There was a guy on last Sunday's 10 mile TT who was recording a Powertap hub with a Garmin head unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-310xt/prod27335.html

Bit pricey tho',,,,  :o

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
It looks like the choice is coming down to the Etrex Summit, Legend or Vista.  Can anyone give me any guidance on which of these is best suited for Audax use (including GPS validation).  I'm not too worried about bells and whistles, but I would like to know whether the colour screen and the memory card option make much difference in practice.   

I would avoid the Summit.  (Even if you can find one, which is doubtful). 

The colour screen models paradoxically had much better battery life - newer, more efficient chippery inside. (Probably doesn't apply to the new E10/20/30 series.)

The memory card makes a big difference on those models, and especially useful if recording for GPS validation (not essential, but definitely helpful) - the Summit doesn't have a card.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:35:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice, folks.  I have just come into possession of a reasonable looking Legend Cx and am now in the process of learning how to persuade it to do its stuff.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:40:38 pm »
Quote from: Ningishzidda link=topic=70628.msg1464764#msg1464764
??? There was a guy on last Sunday's 10 mile TT who was recording a Powertap hub with a Garmin head unit.

[url
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-310xt/prod27335.html[/url]

Bit pricey tho',,,,  :o

Edge 800 will do that and also Edge 500, but Edge 800 for Audax.

« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:46:20 am »
Thanks for the advice, folks.  I have just come into possession of a reasonable looking Legend Cx and am now in the process of learning how to persuade it to do its stuff.

I had one of those. IIRC, I still have the replacement backcover with integrated mount. I had both size handlebar mounts.
I will check tonight

IINM, you are local to north Birmingham ???

Update. Looked. couldn't find. Must have given it to someone.

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2013, 11:09:28 am »
The important things to remember about a GPS are making sure you know how it works in various situations.

Do trial runs on routes you know.
Deliberately go off course and see what the GPS does/shows.
Deliberately take a different route to see if the GPS sorts itself out when you get back on the route.
Plot a route that uses an off-road cyclepath or some other route that motor vehicles can't use to see what the GPS does.
Stop and turn the GPS off mid-ride, then turn it on again and see how easy it is to get it navigating again.
Try a route made up of several loops from a certain point so you can see if it tries to send you the wrong way first time.

« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2013, 05:56:07 pm »
The important things to remember about a GPS are making sure you know how it works in various situations.

Do trial runs on routes you know.
Deliberately go off course and see what the GPS does/shows.
Deliberately take a different route to see if the GPS sorts itself out when you get back on the route.
Plot a route that uses an off-road cyclepath or some other route that motor vehicles can't use to see what the GPS does.
Stop and turn the GPS off mid-ride, then turn it on again and see how easy it is to get it navigating again.
Try a route made up of several loops from a certain point so you can see if it tries to send you the wrong way first time.

+1

"Time in reconnaissance is never time wasted."