Author Topic: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 5th June 2016  (Read 28983 times)

Martin

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 8th June 2014
« Reply #100 on: 06 June, 2014, 08:17:35 pm »
you will prolly double the year's total riders on Hammingdean Lane (should be called Sun Lane God knows where that noo faangled name came from ) so please take care at Highbrook; you have to turn R into the paddock walk across the road for facefill then turn R again out of the paddock, the locals wil not expect you

I'll be the Fairy with a stamp and or / kettle

« Reply #101 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
we know that you will ave zee water bubbling the SFA CC are renowned for their catering

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #102 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:18:28 pm »
we know that you will ave zee water bubbling the SFA CC are renowned for their catering

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's not a SFA CC event  :)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #103 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »
The village is handling the catering so we will have nothing to do...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #104 on: 07 June, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »
Looking forward to the ride and the catering tomorrow! My first 200 Audax and looks like a cracker!

« Reply #105 on: 08 June, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »
Well, it looks like you all had a great day for it.

Martin

« Reply #106 on: 08 June, 2014, 05:28:27 pm »
just back from continuing my 100k perm after card sticking duties at Highbrook with Zoom jr

could there ever be a more idyllic control? the villagers worked their socks off to provide first class snap  :P let's hope we were all well behaved enough * to be asked back next year  :)

* which includes NOT leaving your bikes in the farm opposite; apart from the very real danger of mass immolation from whatever was going on in the barn involving old cars and mains electricity there is a very nice paddock specially provided 10 metres down the road

« Reply #107 on: 08 June, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »
Firstly thanks to Manotea and all helpers for organising another cracking Ditchling Devil; perfect weather, brilliant controls, good company and a lovely route - what more can the seasoned audaxer wish for.

This is my third time riding this event and it just get's better, i've just found my report from last year (handily indexed on page 3 of this thread) and could easily copy and paste as my experience was quite similar this time round. But, that new first control was indeed idyllic - somewhat off the old route but all the better for it, those bacon and egg baps hit the spot. In fact it was only 1 km from the Ardingly lay-by of old but the journey through the lanes to get there was a bit special. After that, the Beacon, Tongdean and Devils Dyke presented their familiar challenge, all were despatched with little grace but some endeavour.

I was riding with Gavin, on his first 200km audax which he is writing up for the Milltag blog, and ekimeno OTP and fine companions they proved, all sharing the work in that nagging headwind present on the journey to the second control, the now infamous back-garden extravaganza. Tea, pasta and peaches all hit the spot and set us up well for the flattish run to Chiddingfold. It gets a bit lumpy then, leading to the final significant climb of Coombe Lane, where we lost ekimeno and I helped Gav out as the miles stared to take their toll. I felt good though, so gave it a good go on the run home on familiar roads from the Surrey Hills back towards SW London. Caught up with ekimeno at the end, arriving at around 5pm. A beer and ice cream hit the spot before the final 8km back home.

Once again thanks to all for this great event - I'm sure the feedback this year will be equally favourable, if not more so. Long live the Devil.

menthel

« Reply #108 on: 08 June, 2014, 10:21:00 pm »
Wonderful day thanks to all the organisers out there! It means I have my first ever 200k audax under my belt. Had a great day with a really nice group of people. Controls were great and the food brilliant (all apart from the lack of savoury at the last one but the cake was great!). I am absolutely shattered and will sleep well tonight.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #109 on: 09 June, 2014, 08:53:27 am »
The best DD yet! Good to ride with blueskies and Gavin for most of the route, and sorry we split company on the last 50k or so. Thanks Manotea for organising the support and a fantastic route yet again. I was amazed to see so many riders out on an audax, and it's great to see audaxing gaining in popularity.

menthel

« Reply #110 on: 09 June, 2014, 09:19:07 am »
Turn out was astounding but I think the weather really helped that. Some good groups formed and kept the pace/energy up. I was personally pleased to finish in under 12 hours for my first 200, I think my next one will be a little faster as it doesn't have the big lumps in it. I don't get on well with hills- I get a bit excited at the bottom and if the hill is long enough (I am looking at you Coombe Lane) I tend to blow up just before the top! I think I need to practice and perhaps also consider adding a triple at the front so that I can't go as fast!

Oh and above, I don't blame the last control for not having savoury things, I should have stopped and got something as I had just about had my fill of sweet by that point!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #111 on: 09 June, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
What a cracking day!

My first experience of the DD event as I have always been away for it in the past, though I have ridden the perm a number of times.  I was on the other side of the counter yesterday and enjoyed it greatly.

I popped over to the park in the morning to pick up start sheets etc. from manotea, and the atmosphere was great.  Huge field, with a large number of club riders (especially Kingston Wheelers) and what was shaping up to be a very warm day indeed. 

Once everyone had been sent on their way, I popped home to change into a bike with gears and made my way, roughly, back down the course to Chiddingfold, where I first enjoyed a fabulous sausage sandwich at the fete, before heading over to the control. 

Mountains of cake were being cut up as I arrived and helped move some tables outside etc.

With so many fast (looking) riders on the road, we were expecting arrivals not too long after opening - but, the heat and wind must have got to you all.  First rider through was the last rider off (we'll mention no names as we don't do winners etc. - let's just say he features prominently on the video below!).

Into the real heat of the day, both meteorologically and workload-wise - riders came through thick and fast, with plenty of smiles and compliments about a great route and controls which is great to hear.

Riders kept on coming, all the way to control cut-off.  I think everyone we saw, even at the cut-off, made it back safe and in time as the last section is pretty quick save for the grimp up Combe Lane.

Once we'd packed up, I followed the route back - well I followed the way I have ridden it on the perm, as that was what I had on my GPS - I did manage to leapfrog a number of the riders without seeing them, so I am not sure which of us was off-route! 

Back to Richmond - to the pub for a celebratory orange and lemonade, chat with Paul, tally up the rider sheets from our control and home after a great day.  Not sure I'd have fancied riding in the high heat of the day though - think I had the easier job sat in the cool! 

Little collection of video and photos from the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-Nd946364

Edited to add - obviously it's really sad to hear of riders down - I wish George all the best with his recovery. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #112 on: 09 June, 2014, 06:24:57 pm »

George has a broken collarbone, a good spread of road rash and a slightly smaller wardrobe :) .

He told me he was taken to Redhill where he was treated by a former Dulwich Paragon rider - always nice to see the Club propping-up the NHS when they run short of staff  ;D .

He is currently taking some serious painkillers and applying Rule 5 to his injuries. Six weeks off the bike; try telling that to a cyclist!

Rich I (DPCC)

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #113 on: 09 June, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
Ah, that sucks to hear about George - I rode a good bit at the beginning with him. Get well soon if you're reading this mate!

Oh, and be sure to upload your Strava file with the abrupt ending so we can see where it all went wrong :)

Martin

« Reply #114 on: 09 June, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »
from Bikergirl who was riding with Ludwig; and this was at the finish  :-\ clearly not trying hard enough most of them were like soggy blotting paper by Highbrook

« Reply #115 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:26:57 am »
Thanks to Paul et al (especially the CC who ran the Upper Beeding control - great control). Top route, top food and love the new section through Highbrook - lovely views.

My friend blew up on the way to Chiddingfold and so we diverted to Haslemere station. Annoyingly Witley station was closer, involved half the climbing and was less than 1km off the route (after Chiddingfold); I could have got him there and then carried on myself but it was not to be (part of me was happy getting a beer earlier). Still a 100 mile day in the lovely sunshine.

I'd found it tough in the heat, being too heavy, not having enough fitness and only having one gear (I got up the Beacon without walking but plenty of stopping - did walk up quite a bit of Tongdean Lane though). A good reminder I need to get back on the bike more often (and not just commuting).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #116 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:35:05 am »
First rider through was the last rider off (we'll mention no names as we don't do winners etc. - let's just say he features prominently on the video below!).

cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-Nd946364

Yes he whizzed past me somewhere near Gatwick as I was whizzing past back markers.

At least my ar*e is less prominent in this one than a previous video of yours. That one was heading into "connoisseur" territory.

It's a cracking route and it was great to see so many riders, most clearly not Audax regulars. Best overheard comments "Oh my god, we've got another 9 hours of this" and "It's much better than sportives"!
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #117 on: 10 June, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »
Impressive numbers out there. Anyone know how many finishers?
I liked the revised controls this year. The first control was validating and victualling riders in slick production line style by the time I arrived.
Great to be welcomed into someone's back garden at the Beeding control. It's stuff like that which makes audaxing great.

Good turn out from the Kingston Wheelers. I'll have to have a word with my tribal elders and see if some more of my people can be motivated to get out there next year.

Thanks for the video marcusjb. Never before have the love handles been placed under so much scrutiny!
&
Thanks for the suncream ian_oli. It was a flesh BBQ out there. I didn't believe the weatherman and so arrived in the morning with arm warmers! 

Manotea

« Reply #118 on: 10 June, 2014, 03:53:05 pm »
I'm going to let the dust settle a bit more before I submit my organisers return, but the magic numbers are ~215 starters and 180 finishers. About 20 riders stopped at Brighton and a couple headed straight for home on reaching London. All bar a dozen finished inside 12 hours for a Cafe finish in Richmond Park. From 8pm we relocated to the Rose of York to welcome the last riders home with a pint. Yes, it's a lot tougher at the back of the field...

All in all, this was an excellent performance from a field fairly evenly divided between AUKs, club and recreational riders, many of the latter riding their first audax/century ride. It seemed to me all were much more relaxed this year. Where previously the first group of riders would rock up looking for a card to be stamped and to be off, this year they rocked up, parked their bikes and had a picnic! The perfect weather  and lovely setting all played their part of course.

I'm still coming down from the high of organising this event. Everything went just about as well as it possibly could, and I feel 'happy and proud' for everybody who helped make it happen, from the local community groups who catered the controls to the AUKs who acted as event marshalls. The only downpoint was GeorgeC's fall. The thing all organisers want is for everybody to come home with the same number of arms, legs and collarbones that they set out with but alas that's not in our gift.

Paul

menthel

« Reply #119 on: 10 June, 2014, 06:47:17 pm »
It does seem a great into to Audaxing and 200km rides more specifically. It was my first 200km Audax (and second 200km ride) and the three chaps I started with were on their first Audax. All of us loved it and appreciated the organisation of it very much. We ended up in a group of 7 of us going round and all managed less than 12 hours, with which we were all pleased. Being such a successful ride hopefully means that audaxing might stick with some of those whom hadn't done one before. It also means I will try and up my distances as family life allows! I might even try and do a proper write up of the ride!

« Reply #120 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »
Congrats, Paul and all your team. More proof of concept perhaps, that 'modern' publicity methods pay off!

Manotea

Re: The London Ditchling Devil, Sunday 7th June 2015
« Reply #121 on: 19 March, 2015, 09:27:33 am »
Entries for this years Ditchling Devil (google it) are ticking along ahead of last years event though we don't have that many AUKs on the rosta. It may be that AUKish thoughts are more focused on PBP qualifiers right now.

But be aware we closed the door on 250 entries last year, so if you want to catch the devil, don't plan on being the hindmost...  :demon:

menthel

« Reply #122 on: 19 March, 2015, 02:47:06 pm »
I got mine in nice and early- can't miss this after having such a great time last year, especially as it starts and finishes pretty much on my doorstep!

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #123 on: 19 March, 2015, 03:22:58 pm »
Entries for this years Ditchling Devil (google it) are ticking along ahead of last years event though we don't have that many AUKs on the rosta. It may be that AUKish thoughts are more focused on PBP qualifiers right now.

But be aware we closed the door on 250 entries last year, so if you want to catch the devil, don't plan on being the hindmost...  :demon:

hm, interesting as I have already earmarked that weekend for my RRtY Audax. So far, I've only ridden Ditchling Beacon in the early morning hours on Friday Night Rides - how is it traffic-wise in during the day?
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

menthel

« Reply #124 on: 19 March, 2015, 03:31:33 pm »

hm, interesting as I have already earmarked that weekend for my RRtY Audax. So far, I've only ridden Ditchling Beacon in the early morning hours on Friday Night Rides - how is it traffic-wise in during the day?

Last year it was fine- plenty of bikes and few cars!