Author Topic: Spa Cycles Elan Ti  (Read 3712 times)

Spa Cycles Elan Ti
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »
Does anyone on here own one? In 105 Triple flavour? I have been looking for reviews but haven't found much.

Any comments from the wise? Thank you.

Re: Spa Cycles Elan Ti
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »
I don't think I've even seen one... but I've seen a couple of Spa Audaxes in steel and they look very nice. Someone otp who owns a Ti bike (Sabbath IIRC) has had a look at the Audax in Ti and pronounced it "gas pipe titanium" and when it was reviewed in Cycle magazine, Chris Juden (I think it was him) said it was ok but not worth paying the extra for over the steel version. So I'd be wondering if that transfers over to Spa's other models and if so, do they make a steel version of the Elan?
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Spa Cycles Elan Ti
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
I don't think I've even seen one... but I've seen a couple of Spa Audaxes in steel and they look very nice. Someone otp who owns a Ti bike (Sabbath IIRC) has had a look at the Audax in Ti and pronounced it "gas pipe titanium" and when it was reviewed in Cycle magazine, Chris Juden (I think it was him) said it was ok but not worth paying the extra for over the steel version. So I'd be wondering if that transfers over to Spa's other models and if so, do they make a steel version of the Elan?

A fine train of thought. Thank you. Still blue sky mining. There are lots of variables involved before my plan comes together, but the research is oddly very satisfying.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:05 pm »
I've seen one and it looks nice enough, but the front end geometry is not quite my preference (though fitting a 50mm offset fork would sort it). I've not ridden one, but there's a review out on the web somewhere - says it's very smooth. The chaps in shop seem to have enjoyed designing it.

Spa own Sabbath now, and hopefully will do something with the brand. The Mondays Child looks fun.

The steel Audax is excellent. Mine has surly pacer steel forks, which avoids the alloy steerer and gives more tyre clearance than the carbon forks usually supplied. I've got the 50mm offset forks, rather than the 45mm 'standard' and I prefer the handling on these with 28 to 32mm tyres.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
I was looking at one when I was in the store getting all my bits and bobs moved over to a Ti Audax frame.  The Elan is quite different in its build to other Spa frames. More engineered, for want of a better word. It had the same style head tube as the Sabbath it was next to and upon mentioning it I was told they were built in the same factory "but for Spa customers" i.e. steady handling and smooth riding. If I'd been going from scratch rather than just a frame swap it would have been very high on my list. I guess a factor might be if you want to hop on the bolt-through bandwagon as it has 9mm at both ends. Perhaps it's partially how they manage such a good price?

As for the gas pipe Ti Audax, it's not a totally unfair description. The steel possibly has a more exciting ride with more twang to it but carries a little more weight. I fully intended to get the steel but curse my lanky limbs, they only did a 60cm in the Ti. I'm still over the moon with it. In the polished finish I think it's as pretty as a picture, very comfy and the best handling road bike I've owned (my previous bike was a Sabbath Silk Road).

If you can make a trip to the store I would head over for a test ride. The service I received was top notch with every size available, plus Harrogate is a nice place for lunch.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »
There is an extensive review in the Jan issue of C+ of six British designed 'all-roaders', inc the Spa Cycles Elan Ultegra. Interestingly, it came second, with them saying 'it combines a good price with a smooth, swift ride and weeks of riding confirmed that it really was that good'. Winner was the Mason Bokeh, honourable mentions to the Shand Stooshie and Enigma Ecroix, duffers were the Genesis Croix de Fer Ti (heavy, poor value spec) and Kinesis Racelight GF Ti Disc (way too expensive - £3800 v £2400 for the Spa, both Ultegra). The Spa was the only frame set with perfect fork, dropout and stem to stern alignment.

For such a good bike, it's a shame not to see it better presented and with more information on the Spa site.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:57 pm »
Thanks for these posts. eBay has been very good to me. Not quite so good on my home-brew equipment, canoe and gubbins AND one of my lawn mowers! Good bye my pretties.

Things are looking good

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:49:46 pm »
Oh I dunno, it could go either way with the home brew; either you'll drink less, get fit and fast and really enjoy using all the potential of the Elan (or whatever you end up getting) or... you'll blow all the money you've made from eBay down the pub!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:00 pm »
Oh I dunno, it could go either way with the home brew; either you'll drink less, get fit and fast and really enjoy using all the potential of the Elan (or whatever you end up getting) or... you'll blow all the money you've made from eBay down the pub!

I haven't used the home-brew stuff since my youngest daughter was born 7.5 years ago. Time thirsty these kids.

AND...You know that dry challenge in January? Well I didn't miss anything so I'm still going. I'm probably saving £10-£15 a week. Some of that goes straight on rooibos and AUK entry fees.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
Excellent! So are you Ball Bustering on Sunday?

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:23 pm »
Sadly not. But I'm going down to Dorset next Sunday to get some lumps in. Sounds like a great route.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »
FWIW I have just bought an Elan Ti. 105 Triple HY/Rd brakes and Hydro wheels.
Not had it long but first impressions are excellent. I am what could be described as a "Clydesdale" and I bought the Ti after reading the review from the comfort perspective. I test rode one at the shop and they sent it by post, very, very pleased all round. It really is as comfortable as the review suggests, especially round here (Shropshire) where the roads are not quite as smooth a somewhere like - Tibet. My last Audax bike never felt good and I think it was ultimately too big, I nearly gave up for good after the last century ride as I was in agony - but this has been a revelation. Funny thing is I was a bit dubious about the 32mm tyres and rolling resistance, first time out on my training loop of 10 miles I equalled my best time on my "sportive" bike, and that was after a layoff. Price is excellent for what you get, though I did OD on lighting and charging gear. 10/10.

Samuel D

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »
My last Audax bike never felt good and I think it was ultimately too big…

Was it a Spa Audax?

Funny thing is I was a bit dubious about the 32mm tyres and rolling resistance, first time out on my training loop of 10 miles I equalled my best time on my "sportive" bike, and that was after a layoff.

Aye, the wide tyres do well for rolling resistance. This is especially true when comparing heavy, durable tyres of different sizes. And it’s especially true if you yourself are heavy. However, wide tyres have more aerodynamic drag. So when you really hammer it – which might be just the situation in which you want best performance – the narrower tyres are still better.

For covering ground on B roads, solo, at a significant all-up weight, wide tyres are probably far better than the traditional 23–25 mm jobs.

Anyone got any photos of their Elan?

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:58 am »
No it was a 27" Kinesis T2, I'm 5'9" - it was too long. Should have had a size smaller, even though I was measured for it.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 02:36:34 pm »
What size Elan did you get?
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)