Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 47615 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »
I too have a Trek Domane 5.2 (2014) with the BB worn. It is currently with Trek UK warranty. I am hoping they replace the frame rather than try and bodge a fix. It has been 3 weeks now without my bike and not happy at all about it. I have had at least 3 new BB fitted since new - it really is a flawed design and can't believe Trek have not changed to a more suitable BB.
So fingers crossed that I too get a new frame.

« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2018, 07:45:18 pm »
I’m in the process of building up a Domane. I have the Trek BB but am trying to source a Token BB3724 bottom bracket.

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/20-ninja/470-bb3724

I’ll let you know how I get on.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2018, 09:51:39 pm »
I’m in the process of building up a Domane. I have the Trek BB but am trying to source a Token BB3724 bottom bracket.

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/20-ninja/470-bb3724

I’ll let you know how I get on.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:04 am »
So, it seems that the Token BB "Thread Through" bottom bracket is readily available from the UK Importer of Token (though the installation tool seems a bit expensive).
EDIT: Ah, the tool for this BB is a long steel item, not the small cup-like ones I've seen for £6. So maybe not sooo bad a price.

Also there is an "oversize" bb version available (presumable for after an original 2-bearing type BB has eroded the seat) in 37.2mm o/d.

"The Token Ninja BB you require for the BB90/BB95 fitting (TK-BB3724) is currently in stock with ourselves ready for immediate despatch as is the tool required. The bottom bracket retails at £59.99 and the tool is £26.39, these can be ordered direct or through your local bike shop.
Any questions let me know
Regards,
Carey O’Callaghan
Sales Support Team Leader
+44 (0)1444 243000"

This type of BB might eliminate some of the creaking issues there can be with PF bottom brackets - although the Hope PF41 (a similar design) I have on my Argon 18 does still occasionally creak, though I note that Token say to grease the cups before installation.  Anyway I'll be getting the Token one to try out on the Domane.

« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2018, 10:51:35 pm »
Thanks for this ratfletcher. I heard from the shop that the new frame is in, and they've built it up. I suspect its an SLR frame rather than SL. The low end shimano hydraulic front brake was leaking and they've changed that under warranty also. I don't know if it will include the changer or just the caliper. I was going to pick it up tomorrow, but they called me to say that the rear free hub has seized up and they've put in a warranty claim on that now. Sheesh. Maybe get it back for next summer.

« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
So, it seems that the Token BB "Thread Through" bottom bracket is readily available from the UK Importer of Token (though the installation tool seems a bit expensive).
EDIT: Ah, the tool for this BB is a long steel item, not the small cup-like ones I've seen for £6. So maybe not sooo bad a price.

Also there is an "oversize" bb version available (presumable for after an original 2-bearing type BB has eroded the seat) in 37.2mm o/d.

"The Token Ninja BB you require for the BB90/BB95 fitting (TK-BB3724) is currently in stock with ourselves ready for immediate despatch as is the tool required. The bottom bracket retails at £59.99 and the tool is £26.39, these can be ordered direct or through your local bike shop.
Any questions let me know
Regards,
Carey O’Callaghan

+44 (0)1444 243000"

This type of BB might eliminate some of the creaking issues there can be with PF bottom brackets - although the Hope PF41 (a similar design) I have on my Argon 18 does still occasionally creak, though I note that Token say to grease the cups before installation.  Anyway I'll be getting the Token one to try out on the Domane.

Would be interested to hear what you think of the Token BB. I have had owned Domanes since 2013 and lost count of the number of non-drive side bearings I have to replace primarily as a result of water ingress causing the bearing to fail. This is another major weakness of the BB90 which Trek have never really solved, even with the latest bearings with the integrated plastic seal. Seriously thinking about trying the Token system as they claim,in addition to solving any creak issues that the bearing seals they use are better than the standard enduro bearings.

« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »
4500km in and my BB is now creaking too. I suspect riding through knee-deep flood water in April didn't help. I was able to service all bearings except the BB that time.

Interested in the Token BB too. I have shimano press-fit BB's across 3 of my bikes now and am universally unimpressed with their life and ease of replacement.

« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
Update on my Domane 5.2 BB issue - Bike was sent to Trek UK and it has been repaired and new BB fitted. First ride out on it today and exactly the same problem as in it sounds like a bag of spanners being rattled ! Not happy at all. Lost 4 weeks already with the messing about from Trek.

« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:32 am »
Update on my Domane 5.2 BB issue - Bike was sent to Trek UK and it has been repaired and new BB fitted. First ride out on it today and exactly the same problem as in it sounds like a bag of soanners being rattled ! Not happy at all. Lost 4 weeks already with the messing about from Trek.

Did they fit the oversize bearings?

« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2018, 06:10:09 pm »
Update on my Domane 5.2 BB issue - Bike was sent to Trek UK and it has been repaired and new BB fitted. First ride out on it today and exactly the same problem as in it sounds like a bag of soanners being rattled ! Not happy at all. Lost 4 weeks already with the messing about from Trek.

Did they fit the oversize bearings?

According to LBS yes they did fit oversize bearings. Typically when the mechanic had a quick go on bike it wasn't making the rattling/creaking noise but i explained that for a few miles it was OK then it would suddenly start playing up - especially when going uphill or trying to push the pace a bit. I honestly thought on my ride that the bike was going to seize up !

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:59 am »
I haven't yet fitted the Token BB - a bit of an hiatus in the build whilst I waited for parts - but for reference they also do it with the oversized bearings if you need to replace a failed standard unit, as opposed to a "first fit" that I'll be doing.  I have been very happy with the Hope PF41 I have on another bike, which operates on the same principal of threading the two halves together to pull the bearings into place.

« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2018, 07:43:32 am »
Has anyone tried fitting a power meter to a modern Domane?
I'm talking left crank Stages or 4iiii.

The clearance seems tight and the 'clearance checker tools' (paper stencil) seem to suggest probably not.

« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2018, 08:41:32 am »
A quick google suggests that a 1mm spacer can be fitted to the spindle to space out the LH crank if clearance is an issue. Assumes a Shimano chainset tho.

« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2018, 09:22:55 am »
Is that to space the BB shell out from the frame, or to sit on the crank axle between the crank and the bb? I would have thought the later would damage to face of the bb or encourage crap to get in.

« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2018, 12:54:35 pm »
Is that to space the BB shell out from the frame, or to sit on the crank axle between the crank and the bb? I would have thought the later would damage to face of the bb or encourage crap to get in.

I could be wrong, but I suspect it's between the BB  and the crank arm, and that the spacer bears on the rotating part of the bearing.  Maybe a question for the "knowledge" thread.

« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »
Has anyone tried fitting a power meter to a modern Domane?
I'm talking left crank Stages or 4iiii.

The clearance seems tight and the 'clearance checker tools' (paper stencil) seem to suggest probably not.

I have a 4iiii fitted to my 2016 model year Domane SLR. Fits no problem. I also have an earlier 2013 Domane 5.9 and it will also fit this model. Hope this helps.

« Reply #241 on: October 17, 2018, 05:01:46 pm »
Cheers. I've ordered one (and some spacers just in case).

It'll spend most of its time on the other bike that i use on the turbo and for going fast-fast, but I want it to be able to fit both.

« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2018, 05:45:39 pm »
Cheers. I've ordered one (and some spacers just in case).

It'll spend most of its time on the other bike that i use on the turbo and for going fast-fast, but I want it to be able to fit both.

Have to say the 4iiii has been pretty well bomb proof!, connects every time and has never dropped put on ride. You can also set it up for left/right leg imbalance through a phone app which you can download. Power readings match closely with Wattbike that I use as well. Also had no issues with water ingress which was a problem on early stages units.

« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2018, 09:01:48 am »
I got "my" Domane back yesterday.
The frame was replaced under warranty due to the bb shell being ovalised. It was a 2016 frame replaced with a 2018 (I think model) Still an SL though, not an SLR. I'm very happy with it.
The wheels (Vision Metron) were replaced under warranty: They were fine when the bike went in, but the freehub on the cheap hubs seized and the shop put a claim in. Trek replaced with Bontrager Aoulous Pro5's which look great and have good hubs.
The f.brake calliper and lever were also replaced due to a leak.

I still have grave misgivings about the press fit b/b but hope thats a few years down the line for me now.

Looking forward to riding it now. The long wait when it was in the shop doesn't seem so bad at all now.
Triggers Broom by sg310, on Flickr

« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2018, 09:04:42 am »
Same as mine, except the snazzy wheels.

Do you take that strap off the front wheel when riding? ::-)

« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2018, 02:02:59 pm »
Very nice

Has anybody tried the Token BB yet?

« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2018, 12:46:11 pm »
No  :-[ I’ve still not gi5 my act together to start that build, weathers been too nice. But if it’s anything like the Hope PF41, which is a similar design, that I’ve got in my Argon, it’ll be great. When built I’ll report back.

« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:55 pm »
Thank you

I took my domane in to be serviced as I was running out of time.  Oh yes they said we can fit a better bottom bracket, we know the supplier.

Picked the bike up and they said" there is no other bottom bracket for these!"

Ah well!  They also subtly managed to decrease the quality of the Di2 change.  I think they have adjusted the limit screws to limit the Di2 travel rather than trusting the Di2 to do its job.  really very disappointed.  There are apparently 2 mechanics in the shop and guess who did the work this time?

« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:15 pm »
There are  two alternatives to the standard Trek fitted BB90 that I am currently aware off.

1. Token BB3724 which is a complete assembly:  https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/470-bb3724

2. Sugino BB90 ceramic bearing which is claimed to have a better seal arrangement: https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/bb/bb90.html

If anyone is aware of any other alternatives, perhaps they could post links?

regards

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2018, 08:00:16 am »
Just replaced the non-drive side bearing again! same problem, water ingress eventually leading to the bearing running rough. No matter how much grease you put on, always the same result! I replace these things pretty much every quarter, fortunately with the right tools, its only a 10 minute job at most, but its the one thing that really annoys me on what is otherwise a great bike. I am clearly not the only one who suffers these problems, so major design flaw in my opinion. The later Trek Domane, I have one of those as well, changed the bearing design slightly, it has a slightly bigger inner diameter, 25mm as opposed to 24mm, but the seal has a sleeve which sits inside the bearing (which makes up the extra 1mm) and wraps around the outside face of the bearing. I have had to replace at least one of these as well, so while the new design may be a bit better, it only delays the inevitable