Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 61628 times)

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2019, 04:07:25 pm »
Ooh, that bracket is rather neater than my cable tie bodge  :thumbsup:

Mine was bodged similarly (twisted wire instead of cable ties) plus a bit of duck tape for extra security. Battery cage is much neater and will allow easier maintenance.

« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2019, 12:09:09 pm »
New 2020 Domane's look sweet. Bugger.  ::-)

Most interestingly to folk in this thread - - - THREADED BB! (T47)

« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2019, 08:52:06 pm »
New 2020 Domane's look sweet. Bugger.  ::-)

Most interestingly to folk in this thread - - - THREADED BB! (T47)

Have to admit it's taken the Domane SL5 from "also ran, not being considered due to the bottom bracket" where it languished with the Giant Defy Advanced 1 to possibly edging out the Roubaix Sport for first place on my "next bike list".  Don't currently have the £££'s for an immediate purchase so have plenty of time to keep changing my mind between them, but it seems that Isospeed has lower maintenance requirements than FutureShock?

tedshred

• AKA: Dirk - Let me see those hands
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »
About time too.  My original Domane had a succession of BB failures which has made me very cautious about them.  I don't think I have ever had my Emonda out in the rain.

I have converted my newer Domane to the Token BB and will probably do the same with my Emonda.

That seems like a decent compromise but a threaded shell in the first place would be preferable.

The T47 is probably just about universal enough to make the Domane a contender as a fast tourer.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2019, 09:55:32 pm »
I did 5 days touring on my Domane a couple of days ago. I used a bar bag and the bontrager lightweight disc rack with Alpkit panniers. Worked an absolute treat. I have changed the front chainrings for absolute black super compact oval rings.

tedshred

« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2019, 04:50:33 pm »
Help needed from the group with my SLR.

I have an annoying click that happens on every revolution of the cranks with any power but not whilst freewheeling.

I have replaced and greased the Ninja BB with the correct spacers but no difference.

The 4iiii powermeter on the left crank does not seem to come into contact with the frame and everything else seems fine.

Anyone else had similar ?

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2019, 04:54:56 pm »
SPD pedals will do this when they get a bit worn, IME when the right one is close to the top of the stroke.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

tedshred

« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »
Good point.  They are pretty new (I think, depending on which ones I actually put on that bike).

Will swap them out and see what happens.

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2019, 07:20:28 am »
Have you done the basics, like take th epedals off, clean and grease the threads and reattach?

tedshred

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2019, 10:32:13 pm »
No, that’s far too obvious for me  :facepalm:  but I will.

« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2019, 07:16:16 am »
 :thumbsup:

Certainly try it. I've had several creaks and clicks I was convinced were terminal that were infact just a little bit of crap in a pedal threads.

« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:05 pm »
I had a similar clicking/ticking with each revolution on my SLR6, I had double checked everything and it was driving me nuts.

I noticed that my shoe laces (exustar) whilst double knoted still had fairly long ends which have a plastic end - so I fixed them into the lacing - solved !
I was going to post this in DOTD !

I have never noticed this on my other bikes - they are all steel frames - so it must be the hollow plastic/carbon chainstays increasing the noise.

tedshred

« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2019, 03:01:26 pm »
Yes, the first time I rode it any distance I was becoming increasingly worried about the loud squeaking noise the frame was making - it was my left shoe (attached to a tired leg) rubbing on the fairly hollow crank and echoing through the frame  :facepalm:

They are very echoey bikes but I am very pleased with it so far and it is a huge step up from the old 4.3 that I managed to kill.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:55 pm »
First time I took mine out I kept thinking there was a car behind me.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

tedshred

« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2019, 11:28:14 am »
The pedal thing, it was the pedal thing  :-[

Thank you for the reminder.

It's a bit disconcerting riding around on a silent bike.

I am really enjoying the SLR.  The direct mount brakes are fantastic - even in the wet.  I had built up a stainless steel Genesis Equilibrium to be my take on the ultimate audax bike - good wheels, dyno hub, disc brakes, Ultegra groupset etc.  It is a wonderfully comfortable mile muncher and it moves along nicely but it just doesn't have the fun factor that you get with the SLR.  The SLR is as comfortable, if not more so, and it just seems to move quickly.

For the first time I feel like I need n-1 or even n-2 as my Emonda is starting to look a bit redundant as well.