Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 42297 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »
That's my bike !

I've had mine for a good few weeks now, initially got off to a really bad start with the Bottom bracket bearings needing replacement after about 34 miles ! - I think there was an installation issue at the factory - LBS were sending back to Trek for review. This was my main concern with a press fit and this has not helped develop any confidence in the system.

I posted elsewhere - my current ones lasted <6000km, but soe on another bike are at 15800km and still going strong.

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »
So far I've needed a new set each year (2 years, 7,500 km / year?) and TREK LBS suggest that's not unusual. On both occasions the bearings have gone without there being obvious play beforehand.

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »
Is it just me, or have Trek effectively made a carbon touring bike (obvs faster and without the load-carrying capability as consequence of the frame material)? Longish wheelbase, 72 degree head angle, tallish front end, plenty BB drop, etc, etc... the geometry is pretty much exactly the same as any 1980's "fast tourer" or a Surly LHT.

Have we just come full circle?

[pseuds corner]
Or is this actually convergent evolution? Something evolved from the road bike, and ended up looking much the same as something that evolved from utility machines?
[/pseuds corner]

Surely there's no inevitability about carbon not being able to carry a load? I'm sure there are carbon frames with rack eyes.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2016, 04:08:33 pm »
My BB90 lasted about 9,000 miles.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2016, 11:20:01 am »

Surely there's no inevitability about carbon not being able to carry a load? I'm sure there are carbon frames with rack eyes.

I would have thought the point loading at the rack bolts would be too mch for the individual fibers? But I don't really know and I suspect designers could make it work. However, I've not see carbon frames with rack eyes (plenty with mudguard eyes but that's not carrying load).

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2016, 11:47:47 am »
It's possible I was getting carried away by knowing some have mudguard eyes then.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2016, 12:44:37 pm »
Koga have done carbon touring and trekking bikes in the past. From memory, the dropouts and rack mounts were variously aluminium and titanium. Really, this problem isn't a big one.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2016, 01:31:25 pm »
The Orbea Avant takes a bespoke rack designed to fit its concealed mounts -
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/19/new-orbea-avant-fondo-road-bike-rim-or-disc-brakes-racks-fenders-or-not/

By the way, fans of endurance road bikes (which is what we're calling the category the Domane fits into) should keep an eye on the bike news websites tomorrow for an interesting announcement...

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2016, 01:34:05 pm »
The Orbea Avant takes a bespoke rack designed to fit its concealed mounts -
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/19/new-orbea-avant-fondo-road-bike-rim-or-disc-brakes-racks-fenders-or-not/

By the way, fans of endurance road bikes (which is what we're calling the category the Domane fits into) should keep an eye on the bike news websites tomorrow for an interesting announcement...

Nah, sorry, that won't do! Spill 'em.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »
Nah, sorry, that won't do! Spill 'em.

New version of an old favourite officially launches tomorrow, with some interesting new features to rival the Domane SLR. You can probably guess the rest - rumours have been doing the rounds for a while.

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2016, 03:19:41 pm »
Ooh Ruby / Roubaix update? Sis is looking at getting a Ruby Comp Disc.

I've heard that the ATR tripster will be going hydro & thru-axle next year.

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:46 pm »
Ooh Ruby / Roubaix update? Sis is looking at getting a Ruby Comp Disc.

Hope it is, I've been thinking about another Roubaix

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2016, 09:22:59 am »
That new Roubaix has lost the plot , you need to be very careful just using springs for damping unless you like very old motorcycles or springy brooks saddles 🙄

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2016, 10:18:48 am »
I've not ridden it yet but I've had a close look and played with the bouncy handlebars. Really quite odd, though m'colleague who has actually ridden the bike is a big fan...
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/specialized/roubaix/1640/specialized-roubaix-review-first-ride

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2016, 12:14:59 pm »
Oh wow, that new Ruby looks gorgeous... :o

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »
Not sure Ill be rushing to change my SL4.   Would really want to have a ride, they seem to have stretched and lowered it as well as given it bouncy bits, and my SL4 fits just right.   Ill be looking at all of the competition ( Domane, Synapse, Datum etc ) as well before moving

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2016, 04:42:56 pm »
I would not get a Synapse in Hi mod form as they are more a race bike , I have had one two years and it is very stiff and very fast but nowhere near as comfy as the mrs's Specialized Ruby , I have done a 400 and 600 on it this year and it does not look after you to well on those distances .
After speaking to Drmekon on the first part of the Heartbeat 400 I am seriously looking at a Slr or the new Sl Domane Frameset to ride LEL next year .

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2016, 05:33:49 pm »
I do love my Domane - finishing a 600 without any aches is lovely.

I do still want the Isocore bar from the SLR - or indeed, an SLR.

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2016, 08:05:59 am »
I've not ridden it yet but I've had a close look and played with the bouncy handlebars. Really quite odd, though m'colleague who has actually ridden the bike is a big fan...
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/specialized/roubaix/1640/specialized-roubaix-review-first-ride

Do you know if it has fittings for mudguards? Much of its direct competition does

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2016, 07:34:06 pm »
Do you know if it has fittings for mudguards? Much of its direct competition does

Good question - no idea, sorry!

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »

Good question - no idea, sorry!

No worries, cant find any reference to this anywhere. I'll have to go and look at one :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2016, 04:59:31 pm »
I will be able to find out quite easily, but not until next week...

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2016, 02:47:54 pm »
Can one of you lucky sods with an SLR tell me how you find the isocore bar? One of the big lads in the shop hated it because he said it was too flexible, but it sounds ideal for someone like me who couldn't sprint for the lights, let alone be interested in sprinting in a race.

TimC

• Bike pilot
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2016, 03:06:39 pm »

I would have thought the point loading at the rack bolts would be too mch for the individual fibers? But I don't really know and I suspect designers could make it work. However, I've not see carbon frames with rack eyes (plenty with mudguard eyes but that's not carrying load).

According to the Gravel Bikes supplement in the October 'Cyclist' magazine, the Specialized Diverge Pro has a carbon frame with rack and mudguard mounts front and rear.

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2016, 07:18:18 pm »
Well DrM, I'm fairly lightly built and I can't say I've found them 'too flexible' maybe a little bit of give - but I've never had carbon bars before to compare - never really noticed it.
As too how effective they are Its difficult too isolate just one element of the bike as it all has some give that adds up to the comfortable ride.

Be aware they do them in two different reaches - mine were changed to short reach (75mm I think) from the standard ones - the local LBS may still have them  - 400cc's width - maybe they would do a deal to clear ?