Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 67206 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2019, 06:04:22 pm »
I have given my thoughts on the Token above and cannot recommend it , I’m now back with the std Trek set up .

« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2019, 12:35:59 am »
BenT
Where are you based ?
I'm just down the M5 from Bristol and have one.

Richard.

« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2019, 09:37:43 am »
BenT
Where are you based ?
I'm just down the M5 from Bristol and have one.

Richard.

In the north, but thanks anyway.
I was wondering if anybody who has a tool might be willing to post me it to lend and I'd post it back when I've used it, I'd give them the postage of course - but I'm not quite there yet, I am going to give the bbinfinite that's on at the moment a bit longer to satisfy myself that it is definitely that that's creaking.
I've emailed bbinfinite and the guy is adamant that it won't be, but I think it is.

I have given my thoughts on the Token above and cannot recommend it , I’m now back with the std Trek set up .

When you say it "failed", what actually happened to it - what, specifically, do you mean by "failed"?
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2019, 12:44:36 pm »
Drive side bearing was seizing up

« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »
I will post you my tool if you decide to go that route I won’t be using it again

« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2020, 06:20:30 pm »
Any tips for new rear gear cable routing? I'm literally stabbing in the dark.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2020, 06:31:53 pm »
Any tips for new rear gear cable routing? I'm literally stabbing in the dark.

Get a better light in your workshop :-D

« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:11 am »
Got it done, but jesus, internal routing really is the work of the devil. The first leg (down tube) was easy enough to drop downand poke out the BB shell. For the Chain Stay leg, I had to thread the old cable in from the deraillier end and out of the BB shell. Tie some cotton thread to the end of the new cable and pull it through. Sounds simple enough, but the hole it has to come out of is very awkward so needs alot of patient gentle too-ing and fro-ing for the cable to find the hole.

Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I've heard of this but didn't think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

- If your bike is still new-ish, undo and grease the tiny c/s allen bolts (2.5mm) that hold the cable grommets into the down tube. They are made of cheese.)

- Buy a bike with externally routed cables in future.....

« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2020, 11:39:08 am »
...Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I did think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

- If your bike is still new-ish, undo and grease the tiny c/s allen bolts (2.5mm) that hold the cable grommets into the down tube. They are made of cheese.)

Good advice.

« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:25 pm »
...Lessons:

- If replacing a cable, tie cotton to the old one and pull the old cable through from the shifter to leave a tracer path of cotton. I did think to do it as I was preoccupied with getting the disintegrated cable out of the shifter and was just happy to get it out at all.

Good advice.

Particularly the last.

I’ve just abandoned the internal routing for the dear mech on the Yellow Peril as there is too much friction for Shimano 10 speed. Would possibly be ok with 11, but that’s not on the roadmap. There also were any room to run a full outer internally, so I’ve used a couple years fnwrapsnofngorilla tape to fasten it outside the frame tubes.

« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
The tiny bolts (made of cheese )  best bet is getting replacements . Good model/rc  shops have the slot/hex bolts in SS, all sizes and the heads don't strip. Another example of cost cutting for a few pence causing grief down the line. ;D