Author Topic: Snazzy new TT helmet  (Read 2135 times)

Working my way up to inferior.

red marley

Re: Snazzy new TT helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:14:48 pm »
I was in two minds as whether to get one, but then I noticed that the "ventilisation was optimsed", so I've put an order in for a couple cos I don't know whether the pointy bit goes forward or backward.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:52 pm »
Thanks, but I might just go for one of these instead.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:26:23 am »
All these helmets have pointy tails, whereas the Kask helmets that Team Sky use have done away with the tail.
I'm interested in why, from a proper fluid dynamic point of view.
Does anyone have any knowledge or links?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:38 am »
It's got anti-fog coating, so you can use it in Yorkshire.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:52 am »
Tails cause more drag when riding 'head-down'. Cutting the tail off might not cause excessive drag, depending on how the helmet is designed. Many current aero frames get around the UCI's 3:1 shape limitation by using an aerodynamic quirk where an appropriate shape behaves as if it has a long tail, despite being cut off short. Many current cars are designed the same way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:03 am »
Tails cause more drag when riding 'head-down'. Cutting the tail off might not cause excessive drag, depending on how the helmet is designed. Many current aero frames get around the UCI's 3:1 shape limitation by using an aerodynamic quirk where an appropriate shape behaves as if it has a long tail, despite being cut off short. Many current cars are designed the same way.

The Kamm tail - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback - look at some 60s sports cars with the suddenly truncated tail is the backgruond here I suspect

or

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
For nine-hundred quid, the helmet should have an articulating tail that adjusts by itself when you put your head down.  It could involve electronically operated animal muscle.  You'd have to feed it to keep the tissue alive.  Actually, forget that, just have a trained lizard on your head.  It'd be cheaper, I think.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:48:00 am »
I was in two minds as whether to get one, but then I noticed that the "ventilisation was optimsed", so I've put an order in for a couple cos I don't know whether the pointy bit goes forward or backward.

It's to be fitted with the bell end on the top of the saddle.
Getting there...