Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 94485 times)

Andrew

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #100 on: 08 August, 2014, 06:40:09 am »
Yes, it does seem that we'll need a selection of evening wear. Still, on the plus side, temperatures are going to be cooler. I found yesterday here in west London to be just a wee bit sticky.

I've had a crap night's sleep, somewhat literally, and I hope it's just the usual pre-match nerves. Might ride over to HQ this evening just so as I know where I'm going tomorrow am.

« Reply #101 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:40:07 am »
Now I am not one to avoid any opportunity.

Did you know that the Belbroughton Control also happens to be the GHQ for that splendid event, The Kidderminster Killer?

If you fancy a revisit to Belbroughton in just over a weeks time as a warm-down from the WCW, I have three places out of seventy places still available.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #102 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:44:15 am »
I'm doing this too.
My first ever 600  :o

« Reply #103 on: 08 August, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »
I'm doing this one and I've convinced another to come along.  This'll be my first 600 too so wish me luck!  Also, whoever said don't look at the forecast, that was good advice.  I wish I'd listened :(

« Reply #104 on: 08 August, 2014, 02:52:40 pm »
From the Beeb:

"Given the unseasonable nature of the weather this could be sufficient to disrupt transport and make outdoor activities dangerous"

Been looking forward to this ride, forecast sounds reminiscent of LEL 2009
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #105 on: 08 August, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
Me too, looking forward to it. It might require a 600km TT to keep ahead of the advancing storm...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #106 on: 08 August, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »
I heard a rumour that the Pru RideLondon is going to be called off because of the weather. I think that's a little premature.

Looking at the forecast in more detail, I think we on the WCW might miss the worst of it.

(This post may contain traces of blind optimism.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #107 on: 08 August, 2014, 03:21:34 pm »
Just try to get round quick.  Looks like the worst of the weather won't be on us 'til 08:00 Sunday.

BTW does anyone know where to get a receipt in Chalgrove before 07:30 on Sunday?  There is an ATM, but I think it's inside a store.  Not that I am planning to be there quite that early, but just in case there is someone planning to do a quick one.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #108 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »
Looking at the forcast I think were I to be riding (and I'm a full-valuer) I'd just carry on through the night aiming to be at Honeybourne when the cafe opens at 9 am then sit it out there until lunchtime. 
I shan't have the luxury of choice though.  I shall be at Windsor with the kettle on, waiting to welcome a lot of 'soggy bottoms'.
Look forward to seeing you all at the Arrivée.

« Reply #109 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »
Looks as though, the further southeast you progress then the wetter it will become.  The later you ride further south, the more you will benefit from a westerly as opposed to a southerly cross wind.  Either way, it will be damp.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #110 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:18:21 pm »
Just try to get round quick.  Looks like the worst of the weather won't be on us 'til 08:00 Sunday.

BTW does anyone know where to get a receipt in Chalgrove before 07:30 on Sunday?  There is an ATM, but I think it's inside a store.  Not that I am planning to be there quite that early, but just in case there is someone planning to do a quick one.
You may well be out of luck. It's a funny little town, barely a village really. But you must go through somewhere bigger (after Chipping Campden) that would satisfy min distance, PROVIDED Herr Organiser is amenable.
[goes to look at routesheet ... ]

Ah, Controls on aukweb are out of date! So you control at Honeybourne, then Info at Bletchingdon, then Chalgrove. (Then home.)

Next two towns are Watlington - which has at least a Co-op, a "paper shop", a petrol station ... and almost certainly ATMs! - then, failing that, I suspect Henley enforces the distance perfectly well. So I'd ask Keef if Watlington is OK, should Chalgrove be shut.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #111 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
You may well be out of luck. It's a funny little town, barely a village really. But you must go through somewhere bigger (after Chipping Campden) that would satisfy min distance, PROVIDED Herr Organiser is amenable. [goes to look at routesheet ... ]
I think the route sheet says the Chalgrove control is open from just before 02:00 on Sunday  :)
I'm thinking there should be an ATM in Watlington, certainly in Wallingford, neither too much of a diversion (over mileage for sure).  As you say confirmation required from organiser on this one.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:44:30 pm »
The routesheet I'm looking at takes you through Watlington, but not Wallingford!

(At least on the return - on the First Leg it's t'other way around :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #113 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »
So a roll call?

Bikey-Mikey n Bairdy

Yeah I'm in, event sounds well organised, the unexpected weather gonna guarantee it's memorable  :D
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #114 on: 08 August, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
The routesheet I'm looking at takes you through Watlington, but not Wallingford!
Cool.  I'll ask the organiser first thing tomorrow, but I suspect someone will beat me to it.

On a totally different topic, should we start a sweepstake on how the weather forecast will affect the number of no-shows tomorrow?

My guess - there will be only 60 people taking the start.

« Reply #115 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
But looking on Google street view, looks like the ATM may be inside the Co-op in Watlington  ???
Anyone know this area for ATMs?

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #116 on: 08 August, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »
Unfortunately I'm a no-show but not on account of the weather ... bit of a financial fuck-up between me and my wife means we're pretty much skint and me spending £40-50 on train fare + food and drink on the ride is unfortunately too much at this particular moment in time. I'm pretty gutted, though whether I would have been up to riding the distance is another question, it would have been my first attempt at a 600.

Apologies for the late withdrawal. I have emailed and DMd Keeff & Sue.

Andrew

« Reply #117 on: 08 August, 2014, 06:32:14 pm »
Looking at the forecast in more detail, I think we on the WCW might miss the worst of it.

I share your optimism. We're going to get wet at some point, I reckon that's a given, but.... nah, I like my hat too much to have to eat it. No fate tempting here.

I'm just back from Windsor HQ - a note on its location because the Scout Hall is not immediately obvious nor signed (at the moment anyway!). It IS opposite the BP garage but BEHIND the West Berkshire Ambulance & NHS Dialysis unit. You'll see St John's Ambulance at the end of the car park... the Scout Hall is down there too, next to it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #118 on: 08 August, 2014, 08:52:45 pm »
Well, I'm safely ensconced in my hotel room, drying out and warming up after a very wet ride over, so I'll definitely be at the start tomorrow.

The nice young lady on reception asked if I'd travelled far. She was pretty impressed that I'd cycled all the way from distant Teddington - a mammoth 21km away! I thought it best I don't tell her what I'm planning to do tomorrow.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #119 on: 09 August, 2014, 03:34:10 am »
Hopefully all the riders are asleep now (or at least tossing n turning) ....

But it's really gorgeous outside right now. Clear starry sky, warm, big moon. I shall pray that some riders gets these conditions in 24hrs time!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #120 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:45:54 am »
About 65 on the road this morning.  Beautiful morning down in Windsor, sunny with a bit of a breeze on their backs.  Lot of rain last night.

Good to see everyone and I wish them well on what may well be a ride of two halves depending on what the weather does tomorrow.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #121 on: 09 August, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »
First rider at Belbroughton at 14:05
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #122 on: 09 August, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
Keep that up and I reckon he (she?) will be back at Windsor around 10:00 am ?

« Reply #123 on: 09 August, 2014, 09:04:07 pm »
Bit grey down here in Belbroughton. Forecast is 8mph average southery wind gusting to 16mph, backing westerly around midday. Wet from 6 until midday.

17 beds in Belbroughton for any tired riders.

First rider has already reached Chester  :o

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #124 on: 09 August, 2014, 09:48:57 pm »
Fungus and I are taking a well earned break from Belbroughton control in the pub.  So if you want to use any of those beds, you'll have to get us out of them first. :-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.