Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 105295 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1125 on: April 21, 2020, 10:27:53 am »
Hell will most certainly freeze over before Google has anything to do with my email :demon:

I use surgemail on the lowest paid tier with approximately bi-annual renewal. The free one would do these days but all the time my company still functions I may as well leave as is. Plus having support available seems to be an effective way of avoiding anything going wrong. Surgemail is vastlymassively OTT for my needs but it just works.

I very much hope the transition from Windows version to Linux is as simple as their help claims.
2020 targets: None
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1126 on: April 21, 2020, 10:40:44 am »
Given so many people use google for their email Google probably gets to read half of your email anyway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1127 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:04 am »
My mail server is better at not losing mail than Plusnet, better at not hiding things than Google, has effectively unlimited storage and is faster than my internet connection.  Given that it's a toss up between hosting it locally or paying for an equivalent service elsewhere, I consider it the path of least resistance.  Of course, there isn't any Windows involved, which helps.

When I ran my own mail server at home I did have an MX secondary elsewhere with a 2 week queue
I had to pay for that of course
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1128 on: April 21, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »
Given so many people use google for their email Google probably gets to read half of your email anyway.

Well yes, but at least they're not randomly hiding your incoming mail because it looks like it came from an automated system or mailing list.

(I'm also of the old-fashioned school of email users, who use IMAP folders effectively.  Gmail's search and categorisation stuff is much less useful to me than it is to the chaotic inbox people.)

Of course, for Google to read your email, you've first got to persuade them to accept it.  They've been taking a leaf out of the Hotmail playbook in recent years, and you need to be fairly fanatical about SPF and DKIM.

When I ran my own mail server at home I did have an MX secondary elsewhere with a 2 week queue
I had to pay for that of course

I have an arrangement to do secondary MX (and offsite backups) on a server in exchange for occasional unisex spaceadministry.

TBH, I think secondary MXes are less important than they used to be, in that most sending servers will retry for 48 hours or so.  It's the longer  - probably planned - outages where they become important.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #1129 on: April 21, 2020, 01:02:48 pm »
Yes, I out-source the spam filtering in hMailServer to various 3-rd party services.
But I can instantly white-list any false positives at my whim.

....almost as quick as adding an email address to contacts  :demon:

I do understand how some would prefer not to use Google, but I'd suggest that control over spam shouldn't be one of the reasons.

« Reply #1130 on: April 21, 2020, 01:19:46 pm »
I run Mercury/32, and route mail as above via Plusnet's server. There are good reasons not to allow mail to go out directly.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1131 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:41 am »
Most bizarre thing today.
On my work laptop, my Roundcube Webmail started playing up.
The page loaded, but the Inbox folder failed to populate, with "Server Error - Access Denied" messages.

Logging onto other user accounts on the same server worked OK.
Connecting to the Webmail server from another device ( same browser!) worked OK!

After trying many, many things, it turned out to be a problem with one specific message.
Deleting it from another client fixed everything.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1132 on: May 03, 2020, 10:38:32 pm »
Bash script for uploading GPX files to Strava.

I'd been using one that was mentioned by a forumite to good effect for ages, but at some point last year they changed the API and b0rked the authentication.

In the absence of anything better to do, I sat down with the relevant docs and cURL and worked out how to authenticate.

Having achieved that, I started tweaking things, so it's now many hours later a bit more featureful than I actually need.  But I've probably learned something about bash's semi-comprehensible handling of quotes, or at least how to avoid the worst of it.  Not that I'll remember any of it for next time.

ETA: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115548.0 refers
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #1133 on: May 04, 2020, 09:51:41 pm »
Yes, I out-source the spam filtering in hMailServer to various 3-rd party services.
But I can instantly white-list any false positives at my whim.

....almost as quick as adding an email address to contacts  :demon:

I do understand how some would prefer not to use Google, but I'd suggest that control over spam shouldn't be one of the reasons.

I can whitelist an mailing list. That's awkward to manage via contacts.
And, to be honest, there are many good reasons for not using mainstream mail providers. Especially as they can't keep their own email servers off black lists, which makes the whitelisting even more of a boon.
A Few Apples Short of a Strudel

SoreTween

« Reply #1134 on: May 12, 2020, 04:19:59 pm »
Completed changing out all the 'wrong' colour patch leads in the network, different colour per VLAN.  OCD tendencies satiated for now.

SoreTween

« Reply #1135 on: May 18, 2020, 05:10:32 pm »
Woohoo!  I'm windows free1

Server video card upgraded to a GTX1650, total overkill for the job it needs to do but that way the fans never run.  It's sitting not far above ambient whereas the fanless card it replaces used to sit ~ 83ºC
Memory upgraded - turned out it only had 2Gb not 4, it now has 16.  Thank you to Maverick for your offer of help with this :thumbsup:  It took 4 attempts to get RAM that would work, it is one fussy motherboard. I still think Corsair suck donkey balls for selling significantly different RAM (different number of chips and different SPD data) with the same part number and appearance.  The one set sold on ebay so far has recovered my costs inc postage, fingers crossed for the other two sets.
Test installation of Mint & surgemail blow away & all reinstalled fresh.
With a little help from technical support, Surgemail moved from Windows to Linux :-)

Now here's the kicker, Surgemail right up to the latest version was running just fine thank you very much on Windows XP.  Sometime around late 2011 I upgraded the hard disks in it to 500Gb hybrids but only allocated 78Gb to XP (and today 62Gb are still free). The rest of the space sat untouched waiting for me to install 7.

Surgemail absolutely flies on the new installation.  It was fast on XP, the last truly cruft free (or freeable) OS to come out of Redmond.  But with SSDs instead of hybrids, 6Gb/sec PCIE card instead of the 3Gb/sec mobo controller and the RAID card being capable of parallel reads (I get about 8.5Gb/sec off them) it is delicious.  If you run RAID I strongly recommend picking up an old Adaptec off the bay of E, at £25 for the card and £15 for the cable (the £3 cables on the bay don't work) they are silly cheap. 

Server should be good for many more years, certainly to the EOL of Mint 19 in 2023.

1 Lie, I still have:
- a laptop on Win 7, this will be my only 'available' Win machine.  It'll just sit there Justin.  The laptop I use is identical and was the 1st machine Minted up several years ago.
- Dual boot on the desktop.  Win7 now only gets used for reading my thermochrons and that'll end if I ever get java and the Maxim reader working on Mint.
- Dual boot on the server but it'll never go back to Windows unless something catastrophic happens.
Also in the house there is:
- Mrs Tween's Win 10 laptop - awful thing.  Going to be minted when I get time.
- Mrs Tween's old laptop - considerably less awful so that'll stay 10
So if all goes to plan eventually the only Win hardware in this house will be our 2nd fiddle laptops.

« Reply #1136 on: May 27, 2020, 11:11:26 am »
Completed changing out all the 'wrong' colour patch leads in the network, different colour per VLAN.  OCD tendencies satiated for now.

You aren't the only one!

PurpleBlueGreenYellowOrangeRedBrown
trunkLANManglementCCTVDMZWANRIPE Atlas

A Few Apples Short of a Strudel