Author Topic: Silly signs  (Read 219508 times)

Re: Silly signs
« Reply #1550 on: January 05, 2021, 06:53:57 pm »
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1551 on: January 05, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #1552 on: January 16, 2021, 11:38:02 am »

Is it because the Welsh are faster walkers than the English, or because the English waste 2 minutes trying to read the top sign?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1553 on: January 16, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »
Interesting. I live on the Welsh borders so am used to seeing and hearing some Welsh words that are easy to translate into English, or maybe French, then English (e.g Eglwys, Eglise, Church).

Now I see that more = mwy, so if you pronounce the Welsh version as it should be (I think), it actually sounds like "more".

FWIW, in the early days of the excavation of the machine hall at Dinorwic power station, a geologist friend of mine took me (as another geologist) down on his night shift to see the works in progress. Heaven forbid - no way that could be done now. In the canteen after the shift the miners were chatting in Welsh, naturally, but then every so often there would be a word for which the miners presumably had no Welsh equivalent, such as "hydraulics", or "explosives".  Those were the days.  It was a huge span of roof too, they'd just opened out the arch and were working on cutting out the hall, downwards. 

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1554 on: January 16, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »

Is it because the Welsh are faster walkers than the English, or because the English waste 2 minutes trying to read the top sign?

Separate shops on the other side of town for non-Welsh speakers? :)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #1555 on: January 16, 2021, 01:29:58 pm »
Interesting. I live on the Welsh borders so am used to seeing and hearing some Welsh words that are easy to translate into English, or maybe French, then English (e.g Eglwys, Eglise, Church).

Now I see that more = mwy, so if you pronounce the Welsh version as it should be (I think), it actually sounds like "more".
It's interesting that three of the four nouns on that sign (minutes, shops, cafes) are recognizable in English. Though I think only shops is actually an "English" word.
Portaloos for Brexit

« Reply #1556 on: January 16, 2021, 03:35:54 pm »

It's interesting that three of the four nouns on that sign (minutes, shops, cafes) are recognizable in English. Though I think only shops is actually an "English" word.

And once that's lined up with the translation, the top bit obv. says "It's a Welsh 6 minute walk... "

« Reply #1557 on: January 16, 2021, 04:47:17 pm »
Welsh minutes are longer...  :P
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1558 on: January 16, 2021, 05:03:32 pm »
At least the Welsh version wasn't the translator's out of office autoreply.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #1559 on: January 16, 2021, 06:10:24 pm »

And once that's lined up with the translation, the top bit obv. says "It's a Welsh 6 minute walk... "
Mae'n cymryd = it takes. Or so google translate tells me.

The shops must be uphill from the sign. English people, being unused to Welsh mountains and Welsh rain, find walking uphill in the rain slower. But coming down, they slip and slide the whole way. There must be a sign outside the shops that says it takes 6 minutes back to wherever that is, in Welsh, and 4 minutes in English!
Portaloos for Brexit

« Reply #1560 on: January 17, 2021, 08:35:05 am »

Mae'n cymryd = it takes. Or so google translate tells me.

Yes, apparently
Cymry = Welsh People
Cymryd = Take
Cymrydd = Welshman

That's not confusing at all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1561 on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:49 pm »
<pedant>