Author Topic: Arturo Cycle Shoes - handmade by William Lennon in Derbyshire  (Read 6150 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
I saw a piece about William Lennon footwear on Robin Wood's blog (he's a green woodworker and heritage craftsman who organised a spoon carving course I did last year).  Robin's big on buying traditionally made craft items and William Lennon still makes traditional footwear in their Derbyshire factory.

Browsing the website (I have a thing for well made boots) I found these:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/categories/arturo-cycle-shoes.html

Just over Fifty quid for handmade cycling shoes?  Holy shit, the tragic hipster Rapha crowd would pay four times that.  Anyone got any?  They look just the job for the Brommie.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Arturo Cycle Shoes - handmade by William Lennon in Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
In a nice way...

DAMN YOU!

I *REALLY* don't need any new shoes (or boots) right now, but that site...

ARRRRRRGH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »
These I like.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 12:51:02 pm »
Nice, but its a shame they put a rubber sole on. If they put something stiffer on....
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »
That's about £20 cheaper than made-to-measure non-cycling shoes from the bloke at the top of Christmas Steps (who in any case has closed down recently) not to mention about a third the price of Quoc Pham. What does "handmade" actually mean though? More to the point, do they take SPDs - there's no mention of it?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:09 am »
I had 2 pairs of these when I started cycling, it's amazing they're still being made, although being made to order would mean they stay in production forever.

"Handmade" being a much abused term, I would guess they're mainly made on hand fed and hand operated machines (not hand powered), with a little actual hand work. You can see how shoes are manufactured on Youtube. There are also videos of how actual hand made shoes are made, using simple tools such as knifes, hammers, pliers etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LsE4nsEOJk

The sole is a sort of quite hard plastic, not rubber like, and the sole is fairly rigid but still flexible enough for walking.

AFAIK Quoc Phams are made in a factory in Vietnam, so def not VFM.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:42:56 pm »
Thread Resurrection:

I got a pair as a result of this conversation, and they lasted since they in weekly if not daily wear until the sole on one split at the front of the heel. Inside they have a wooden shank and a thin cork midsole.

Italian footgloves they aren't; the leather is very thick and boot-like, but comfortable once you get used to them. In fact, I'm thinking of converting them into clogs by attaching the uppers to some old Birkenstock soles.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 05:54:16 pm »
These shoes are still available and about 150% of the OP's price. I have a set of Arturo for use with toeclips but mostly ride in a set of Quoc Pham Gran Tourer because they are SPD-compatible. Quocs are still three times the Arturo price though.

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/heritage-footwear/arturo-cycle-shoe/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
I ordered a pair with leather soles (and rubber half-soles) and slightly different uppers (holes punched for ventilation). I use them for touring with flats, and they're great - I think the extras added about £20 to the price, but after 3 years they're still going strong (save the minor scuffs from the half-clips and from an off).

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 12:54:38 pm »
I have gotten myself à pair, like them a lot. Rigid sole and comfortable after a few rides. They are slighly larger than expected, but I guess I won't mind a bit extra space for my toes when it gets hot. The nice thing about leather shoes is that you can care them with wax and they look as new.