Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 48884 times)

Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #425 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
At least Petsafe do sell replacement bits - I don't think a lot of ours is original by now,

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2019, 02:48:07 pm »
Looks like the (non PetSafe) magnet is holding the flap. Kit is still pending delivery.

Well, we have two cat flaps so spares may be needed in future.

« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2019, 11:06:54 am »
We lost one of our three Embden geese just before Christmas, so we're hoping to bring up some goslings this year.  We're left with a gander (Clarence) and a goose (Geri), who I think are father and daughter.  With hopes of diversifying the gene pool, I've been given three (hopefully fertilised) Brecon Buff eggs by a neighbour, which I slipped into Geri's nest this morning.  In order to get her to go broody, I've left her own eggs in there, but I don't want them to hatch.  Should I
a) get some of these,
b) buy some eggs from the butcher, which should be unfertilised, or
c) hard-boil her own eggs and pop them back into the nest?

I'm thinking that, since we'd rather keep a female rather than male gosling, I'd take a punt on which one to keep at 16 weeks based on the colour of the down and the pitch of the call (I don't feel qualified to try vent-sexing!).  I've got a friend who'll happily accept juveniles to his flock.  (Of course, there's a 1-in-8 chance of them all being male, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they'll hatch out.  I'm wary of premature poultry enumeration ;D)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom/experience?

So I went for the hard-boiling option.  Today's the 28th day she's been sitting so we're (perhaps) expecting the arrivals imminently.  Strangely, the gander has also been sitting on the nest, which is rather spread-out so that they sit side-by-side.  Getting them both off the nest at the same time has been difficult, so I haven't had the opportunity to candle the eggs, or to pick them out in the past few days to listen for peeping.  I've left a seed tray of water outside the shed for them, and will pick up some starter feed for them in case they make an appearance.

« Reply #428 on: May 07, 2019, 02:19:16 pm »
The smokers have been informed not to use the ash tray in the smoking shelter at work.

There's a clutch of 11 eggs been laid in it!

The comment has been made about passive smoking.  :demon:

« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2019, 02:09:20 pm »
BTW, the goslings didn't show up, otherwise they'd have been making an appearance on the "squee" thread  :'(  Threw the dud eggs over the hedge.  No embryos inside, just yucky month-old yolks.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »
20°C outside but the bees that have come into our house, three or four of them today, are all groggy or dying. Either farmers are making the most of the last neonic/glyphosate years or some neighbour is ignoring the outright ban on garden insecticides.  I've seen a couple of bluebottles in a similar state, too.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2019, 01:20:47 pm »
It's no wonder insect populations are declining; I wiped out a couple of hundred on yesterday evening's ride. With my eyelids. Time to wear glasses whenever out of the house.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2019, 01:44:04 pm »
It's no wonder insect populations are declining; I wiped out a couple of hundred on yesterday evening's ride. With my eyelids. Time to wear glasses whenever out of the house.

I had to stop and expend a non-trivial amount of my remaining water on washing the smeared remains of something insectoid (suspect a partially-emerged pupa) from my glasses, after impacting it at speeds in excess of R17.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...