Author Topic: Spa NIDD , (B17 ish)  (Read 13620 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Spa NIDD , (B17 ish)
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »
Ok there is quite a bit of banter on here re the Spa saddles, but  relating to the AIRE, (brooks swift ish) I have one of these, and it is a very good , comfortable saddle, however , I see it rather more of aperch than saddle, in that one has to get off the saddle to relieve pressure a tad now and then, which I put down to its narrowness, and my ample girth. So I've just ordered a Honey coloured Nidd, (as I have another 'aged B17 on another bike and it like an armchair in comparison, but tho be fair the Aire was billed as a racing saddle). and see how we go. I used to love my B17, before it hammocked, and was also very slippery, which i hated. So I will keep you posted, and if all is well, then i will flog my Aire.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Spa NIDD , (B17 ish)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:58:08 pm »
Not arrived yet, but found this VERY good appraisal in a blog.

http://pedal-trikes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/19th-october-2012-and-arrival-of-nidd.html

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »
Yes I did read that article, but a bit inconclusive, as you hardly use it.

dod

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
I've had my Nidd for almost a year and around 2500 miles - it's still much harder than any Brooks I've seen, but the dimples at the sit-bone contact points are coming along nicely and it has a lot more give than it did when I got it (i.e. it's not rock solid anymore)

Definitely more of a perch than an armchair, but it suits me just fine.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:10 am »

Your "good appraisal in a blog" had some great pictures but the dude had had the saddle for two days.  Whereas I'd been using it for 4 months at the time of writing.  I might sound "inconclusive" but it's a pretty boring product.  It's a cheap saddle.  It works.  End of story.

I was to say anything about it NOW, I would make EXACTLY the same comments as dod, similar mileage, similar experience.  Which amounts to the same thing, boring thing but it works.

I haven't used the Nidd for a 300km audax or anything like that.  Not because I hate it or anything, it's just on my commute bike and ICBA to fit it on my best long distance bike.

Would I buy another one? Yes
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »
Re. the Aire, I'm up to ~3000km on it. It's properly dimpled, and doesn't sound like wood any more, but it's not sagged at all. In my mind, I figured it now to be equivalent to my team pro. Then I sat on my team pro, and that feels like a busted couch in comparison. Still, the Aire feels very soft compared to my Fizik Arione.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:44 pm »

Your "good appraisal in a blog" had some great pictures but the dude had had the saddle for two days.  Whereas I'd been using it for 4 months at the time of writing.  I might sound "inconclusive" but it's a pretty boring product.  It's a cheap saddle.  It works.  End of story.

I was to say anything about it NOW, I would make EXACTLY the same comments as dod, similar mileage, similar experience.  Which amounts to the same thing, boring thing but it works.

I haven't used the Nidd for a 300km audax or anything like that.  Not because I hate it or anything, it's just on my commute bike and ICBA to fit it on my best long distance bike.

Would I buy another one? Yes

Yes indeed, but did you read the rest of the blog , up to april 2013? he does mention it a few times, but a bit shy of giving it a really good trial.

Boring product? Yes you are prob right, but there has always been the debate about the rail length , compared to a Brooks, and whether it can be 'shoved back further. So I took some pics. (for those that might be interested)

This is with the nose pressed up against a box, and a saddle clamp as far forward and back as will go., measured front to back.

ditto, with saddle turned round.

fitted and

compared to my Aire.

Sorry.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »
I'm on th Nidd as well. Great saddle. Done about 700km so still breaking in. Still feels very hard with no dimples. No discomfort from day one though really. The best thing about it now is the fact that I don't even notice it so must reasonably comfortable. Pretty impressed and will be in the market for another if and when the Brooks on my other machines fail.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:46:23 pm »
well, managed to get out for a quick 40km t'smornin', and apart from a 'fettle' after 1km, to lower the post about 5mm, i completely forgot about it, i didn't have to lift myself off to relieve the sit bones. Also this was a good test as I'm recovering from flu (NOT man flu, the real jobbie) and I have no strength in my legs or lungs, so spent most of the time sitting down. 
Better than a B17?   I'd say a confirmed yes, 
Why?   well for a start its laced up, and despite what others had said I left the laces in. It seems firmer but springier, a bit like an old bus seat, also its NOT SLIPPERRY AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. magic! Also I managed to set the seat virtually level, something I could never do with a B17, (team pro yes).  And the rails being longer, it goes back where I want it.
Would I buy another ? yes,
Would I buy another B17?... NO.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:51:12 am »
You've cleared up a good few queries of mine in that last post stumpy, cheers.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »
Just ordered a Spa Wharf.  I currently use a Team Pro on my audax/tourer.  I previously tried a B17 but didn't get on with it so did not want to risk a Nidd.  It seems that none of the Spa saddles correspond to a Team Pro so will try the Wharf and see how it goes.  Can't afford the current price of a Pro.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »
Ok  , bit of an update on the Nidd.   I've had it on my Pearson for just under a month, in which time I've done almost 1000km on it. I honestly love it, I forget I'm sitting on it. All this on a pair (well I have 2 pairs) of cheap as chips Ozzo knee length padded shorts, that are at least 6-7 years old, and the padding is that thin blue stuff. well and truly hooked. Here's a pic after almost 1000km.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:37 am »
Finally got around to fitting my new Wharf saddle.  It is almost exactly the same length as my Team Pro but I managed to get it 15mm further back that the Brooks on the same seat post (Velo Gran Cru).   Pleased with that.  I had to lower the seat post approx 10mm as the Wharf sits higher than the Brooks.  Only been out for one 20 mile ride on it so far.  Initially it was bone hard but after a short while it seemed comfortable.  Further reports to come after longer rides.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:13:52 am »
Likewise with Stumpy I'm finding my Nidd more comfortable even with my cheap shorts which would be chewing me up after 50km on previous saddles (Brooks Swift and Team Pro). I've just bought a second one in honey (very nice colour) to replace a Brooks Swift which was just too narrow for me. Spa Cycles have been getting a bit of stick just lately for poor dispatch times but I ordered on Monday and received the new saddle on Wednesday which I would say was excellent service.

Doing a 400km tomorrow on my broken in Nidd so will be the first major long distance test. Previous longest ride was 120km.

Will report back with (hopefully favourable) results later.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:19:05 am »
By the way Stumpy does yours look even vaguely used? The photo you posted up thread doesn't show any signs of discolouration or marking. I'm finding my black one after about 1000km still looks as new. Not a mark or dimple to be seen even though it is feeling more and more comfy. A Brooks by now would be starting to show a few crease marks and alot of discolouration.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
By the way Stumpy does yours look even vaguely used? The photo you posted up thread doesn't show any signs of discolouration or marking. I'm finding my black one after about 1000km still looks as new. Not a mark or dimple to be seen even though it is feeling more and more comfy. A Brooks by now would be starting to show a few crease marks and alot of discolouration.

If you look at my last pic, you'll see a diagonal line about 3" wide, over the seatpost, going from front to back  over the top (diagonally, if that makes sense). This is discolouration, as the sweat seems to have leached the colour out a bit, but I really dont care, no visible dimples tho' how'd you get on with the 400.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
If you look at my last pic, you'll see a diagonal line about 3" wide, over the seatpost, going from front to back  over the top (diagonally, if that makes sense). This is discolouration, as the sweat seems to have leached the colour out a bit, but I really dont care, no visible dimples tho' how'd you get on with the 400.

400 was a DNF due to eating issues, a 25mph headwind and torrential rain for 150km. Never mind. I'll try again next month.

As far as the Nidd is concerned I now have slight creases where my sitbones are. Was very pleased with overall comfort and performance. Can't recommend these saddles enough.

Now you've said about the discolouration I can JUST about see what you're saying. No different to what you'd expect from any other honey colured leather saddle though really.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:34 am »
Had a 68 mile ride on the Whafe last weekend.  It is still hard a nails and I experiences a bit of tendon rub on one side that was a wee bit painful.   Hopefully that was just getting the position correct.   However, no chafing at all.  Out again tomorrow for a similar ride so fingers crossed.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 11:40:00 am »
ok bit of an update, now just over 2000km and still a great saddle, still level, and still no slippery surface. No dimples, but getting slightly more flexible on the 'wings', as I proofed up under the lip when I did the saddle. I'll up date again at 5k :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Love mine probably about 500km in.... Will defo to anyone

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »
My Wharfe is pretty good now after 8 months' commuting, and has some sort of visible bum shape.  It's getting back to its original honey colour (measured with reference to the honey handlebar grips) as the neatsfoot oil dries out.  They are stupendously hard when new, though - much more so than any Brooks I've had.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »
This is useful guys, thanks a lot.  I have recently bought a second used Moulton and after initially being impressed with the Iscaselle saddle that was fitted I have decided that it is less comfortable than I thought.  I was pointed towards Spa Cycles when I asked the Moulton forum about a saddle which I had seen recently, but couldn't identify.  It looked like a B17 except that it had a wide slot down the middle, made out of leather and cost £99.  Probably new to the marketplace.  If I can't find out what it is the Nidd may suit my needs.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »
... a saddle which I had seen recently, but couldn't identify.  It looked like a B17 except that it had a wide slot down the middle, made out of leather and cost £99.  ...

That sounds like it might be a B17 Imperial.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:16 am »
The nose clamp snapped on my Wharfe this morning.  Seven months' use and I am not heavy.  I doubt spares are available but will check.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.