Author Topic: Spa NIDD , (B17 ish)  (Read 8564 times)

Re: Spa NIDD , (B17 ish)
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:48 pm »
Spa sent me a new clamp, gratis.  Very impressive.  They say it's the first one they've ever known break; they don't have spares so they took one off a saddle in stock.

It's the "U" shaped bit that grabs the front of the rails - it just snapped at the bottom.  The roads round here are a bit rough but I suspect the metal had a flaw in it.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »
I have an aire which has been comfortable from day one so got a nidd for the tourer, jury still out but it is a lot more rounded in the cross section whch is taking some getting used to. it also has a slight rise towards the nose of the saddle which has caused some "interesting" moments when encountering the odd unexpected pothole at speed .
are we nearly there yet?

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:10 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a Wharfe and cutting a slot, à la Brooks Imperial or Selle Anatomica.
If it all goes pear shaped I'll only be £40 out of pocket.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 03:11:11 pm »
Year End Update

Nidd No1 in Matt Black - 4000km in. Now has developed dimples ala B17 (this only started happening after about 2500km). Supremely comfortable. Finish has gone from matt black to shiny so looks even better. Even did 70km last weekend without padded shorts and felt comfy all the way. Longest ride was 620km in September for which I took full advantage of the 42 hour time limit and was in the saddle for what seemed like most of it. No physical side effects whatsoever (mental scarring was another issue!)

Nidd No2 in Honey matt finish - bought to replace a Brooks Swift which was too narrow. Only done about 500km so still not broken in. Finish has faded badly whilst left in the shed by the window so doesn't look great. Still, colour doesn't really matter while I'm sitting on it. I'll give it a bit of a polish to see if that helps.

Nidd No3 in Brown - this is brand new and not yet fitted. Bought to replace a Brooks Team Pro which is starting to hammock and leather has ripped around the brass rivets. Finish and colour is shiny brown and looks superb. Bonded material on the underside has a flowery pattern on it. Guess this must be a new batch. Also purchased some Spa saddle cream which I will try but it's not made from cow fat and lemon juice like proofhide. Seems to be petroleum based.

Can you tell I'm a fan of this saddle yet?

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 06:43:00 pm »
Spa now have a titanium railed version for additional £40, saving some 195 grams - any views on whether this is worth the extra?

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 04:42:01 pm »
So how much does a waterbottle weigh???  ;D ;D ;D

Within reason those sort weight savings are really of little significance at Audax level---maybe cat 1 / pro racing it may matter.

HOWEVER maybe Ti rails make saddle more comfy being a more flexy material than steel ??
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »
Certainly I find a Ti-railed Swift more comfortable than a chrome one - different bikes though, so apples/oranges ...

(I did have a Ti Swift on the bike that's now got a chrome one for a while and think it was more comfortable, but I then used a Team Pro for quite a long time and have modified position a little, so it's certainly not a completely straight comparison.)

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »
I have an aire which has been comfortable from day one so got a nidd for the tourer, jury still out but it is a lot more rounded in the cross section whch is taking some getting used to. it also has a slight rise towards the nose of the saddle which has caused some "interesting" moments when encountering the odd unexpected pothole at speed .

Also just bought an Aire to replace a warped Brooks Swallow --- although very hard has been comfortable from outset and now 500km use only just beginning to show any `wear` marks. Really impressed---120km last w/e on it no issues at all, just feels so right. And with bag loops can securely fix an Ortlieb bag  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »
I have a black Spa Wharfe on my Genesis Equilibrium which has done about 1000 miles now, quite comfy shape but still seems as hard as new.

Previously the Equilibrium had a B17N on but I have transferred that to my Claud Butler Dalesman- it is about 5 years old and soft and hammock like.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »
Bit of an update. honey one is as comfy as anything, much newer black one on t'winter bike is ...well as it was when I dragged Blodwyn out in to the sunshine about april time.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:23 pm »
Bit of an update on this saddle, some 3 years plus,later.

The saddle has been the only one I use, since 2013, but recently I was getting increasingly uncomfortable  on it,  and didn't know why. I ended up lowering it about 8mm , but it was still as hard as anything, and I know Christophe,  OTP  went away from the Nidd to a GB saddle,due to  comfort issues. So I've bought a GB Aspin (in post ).  Now this got me thinking. Why is  the Nidd so hard.  If you pick up a Brooks the leather is almost supple, and waxy, like a quality pair of shoes,but the Nidd leather is...well... like a tack biscuit. Ahhh!!!!! thats it,  thats whats wrong!! The leather is too dry,especially after a long hot summer, its like a biscuit.  I read an article  by someone called 'Rando Riichard' IIRC, and he always soaks his new leather saddles in Mink oil.  :o  So in the absence of Minks I  did the following...

With nothing to lose,  I went to the kitchen cpd, and got some rapeseed oil, and poured a little into a saucer,  then dipped 2 fingers in the oil, and spread the oil over one side, then 2 fingers to the other side, then 2 fingers to the sit bone area. The saddle immediately went a much darker colour, and was absorbed into the saddle within 10 mins.  Then an hour later I did it again, and this time it took an hour to soak in.  Then I rode my commute and back,  it was a bit better, then I did 2 lots more of 2 fingers, ONLY on the sit bone area working it round in a circle.  Left if for the  weekend, then today and yesterday, I did my commute, so 90km, and wow, what a difference.  this saddle is now extreemly comfy,  and going over bumps ,there is a bit of 'bounce' in the saddle, not like  a plank. My reasoning is that the saddle won't sag or stretch, due to he bonded mesh underneath. It is now so comfy, I do not wish to try the Aspin,  in case its not as good, and I lose my position.  So the Aspin will go into store , for  now, and see how the Nidd develops,   as I havehad  it since 2013,  and its been my only saddle. It is now like a qulity horse saddle,  dark and supple, but still firm, and with a zip tie thro the lace up holes.  See how it goes for a  few months,  or see if I  have ruined it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 08:39:28 pm »
Interesting, I didn't think they were really made of leather!

Have to give rapeseed oil a try
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on