Author Topic: Protection from sun cream  (Read 2073 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Protection from sun cream
« on: 30 May, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
My D80 went off to Kenya last year with someone who needs quite a lot of sun cream. When it came back most of the markings on the back had disappeared. I'm not that concerned as it is quite old (and has done about 50k exposures) and as long as I don't think about it, I know what the buttons do.

But, later this year that same person is going off again to parts forrin, and I was going to let him take my D7000, which I would quite like to come back with the markings in place. So I was wondering how to protect them.

Tape seems the easiest way, as long as removing the tape doesn't remove the markings as well - what does the panel think about electrical tape as being the best stickyness/protection compromise?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: Protection from sun cream
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:10:14 pm »
Helicopter tape?

I dunno what it is about sunscreen. I ruined a mobile phone using it at an athletics event. It was sunny, I was constantly applying sunblock to kids faces and got it on my phone. All the markings and the plastic over the buttons came off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zipperhead

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
That's a good idea, thanks. They markings would remain readable as well!

Now to try and find some 3M 8562 in less than 33m lengths!

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:28:04 pm »
Could you use a screen protector for a mobile phone?  It wont fit properly, but if you bought one for a big smart phone you could probably hack it about to cover most of the back, and you can get the cheap ones for a lot less than helicopter tape/Zagg screen protectors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »
what does the panel think about electrical tape as being the best stickyness/protection compromise?

Wholly unsuitable for temperatures where suncream is appropriate...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Proper (i.e. the expensive stuff that you can buy for AV / production use) low-adhesion, minimal residue gaffer's tape might just work.

Or you could just live with it.  My D7000 doesn't know its ISO button from its arse after a trip to Australia.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »
This reminds me, I've nearly run out of real gaffer tape.

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2013, 05:22:17 pm »
I just wouldn't lend them it, sorry. I have no problem lending stuff to people but I expect them to give it back in the same condition I lent them it in.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Zipperhead

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2013, 09:10:22 pm »
I just wouldn't lend them it, sorry. I have no problem lending stuff to people but I expect them to give it back in the same condition I lent them it in.

Normally I would be with you on that, but as he's my son and he's off to the other side of the world (and he's earning the money to pay for it!) then I have to bend the rules a little.

And I'm at least 50% to blame genetically for his need for large amounts of sun cream  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2013, 10:00:44 pm »
Cling film.

You know you want to.

Not sure what to do with the camera though.
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2013, 10:02:26 pm »
Tell him to wear rubber gloves ;)

I don't have this problem, I haven't found a sun cream that I'm not allergic too so don't use it and stay covered up most of the time instead.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2013, 10:06:58 pm »
Taking the problem from the other end - P20?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2013, 10:34:20 pm »
Dremel. Engrave the markings on the back. Then there is no problem with them rubbing off 9or if they do then you have more problems than that to worry about).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:15:27 am »
Let him use it and claim a reason for N+1, camera-wise.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2013, 11:02:23 am »

Teh SUN laughs in the face of P20 in my (limited, but very unpleasant) experience. :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Zipperhead

« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:01:55 pm »
Let him use it and claim a reason for N+1, camera-wise.  ;)

Sssh, I already did! There's no way that I'm going to make do with a D80 for 6 months whilst he's gone!

Zipperhead

« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:02:47 pm »

He's a ginger. P20? He needs silver paint!

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »
What about getting him a cheap second hand DSLR of his own as a present ? A nice Olympus 510 or something should be quite cheap these days (£150 on ebay with the 14-42 lens)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:12:16 pm »
The trouble with super-sticky tape will get getting the goo off afterwards without using solvent, otherwise I'm sure it won't do any harm.  Insulating tape will stay well enough even when hot as long as it's on a dead flat smooth surface, but it's hopeless on curved or textured surfaces when hot.  Not that it's good to let the camera get very hot anyway.

How about giving the boy the camera, with the promise that it's his last big present ever!?

http://www.gloverhowe.co.uk/ are good insurers.  No too many get-out clauses (at least true when I signed my contract some years ago).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »
Let him take the D80 instead? Or get him a D3100.

My D80 is still plodding along (as seen on various threads) - hoping to upgrade at some point.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #20 on: 01 June, 2013, 09:35:07 am »
I have to apply masses of suncreen (always have), and before handling my camera either, wash my hands (if indoors/near basin), or use some alcohol based hand sanitiser (degreaser) which I generally have in my rucksack or nearby, or if all else fails wipe my hands on hat or shorts to get most of it off.   I don't see that one really need to handle any camera with hands dripping with sunscreen...   :P
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson