• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Wasps
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:16:31 pm »
The pub we had lunch in today had a load of these wasp traps out:

:-X

Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »
That's a lot of dead wasps.  I remember when I was a kid, my grandparents house always used to have a jam jar with holes punched in the metal lid, and some jam still left in the bottom.  It always used to be full of dead or dying wasps. :sick:
Actually, it is rocket science.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 07:39:28 pm »
A dead wasp is the best kind of wasp.  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:29:10 pm »
I can understand the first one or two being taken in, but the fiftieth?  Did it think it was a wasp swingers' party or something?
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »
Hornets eat wasps.  We had a hornet's nest in our hollow tree - scary at first but we found they left us alone, unlike the wasps.  Isn't GWB a wasp?  No, better not go there :o
Sic transit and all that..

Pete

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:08:30 pm »
Despite their fearsome reputation, in my experience hornets (which are more nocturnal than wasps) are never aggressive, nor have we ever been pestered by them, unlike wasps when one is having a meal outdoors in hot weather.   I empathise with those who want to do away with wasps at this time of year - they will have done with breeding and are becoming moribund, anyway...

For a moment, though, I thought I was looking at Wowbagger's new avatar... :o

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:51:09 pm »
Finally, the truth about real ale comes out.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 06:00:58 pm »
Or this WASP (link not safe for work):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5r3gVs6UG5Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5r3gVs6UG5Q&rel=1</a>

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:25 pm »
I put some beer in our wasp traps this year.  They seem to also catch a load flies, so they are more than good in my eyes.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:32:10 pm »
Despite their fearsome reputation, in my experience hornets (which are more nocturnal than wasps) are never aggressive, nor have we ever been pestered by them,

We had a hornets' nest in the loft at the last house.  I managed to get one down my shirt when I was ver' ver' drunk and standing on one leg on a kitchen stool.  It didn't sting me :)

I left it until February (I had  a quick look in December and saw a few too many shiny eyes looking back when I looked into the nest) when they'd all died off and took the nest down.  It was huuuuge.  Really big cell sizes too, probably 4 times the area of the ones in the wasps' nest next to it

Treewheeler

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:16 pm »
On the South coast Wasps are known as 'Jaspers'...
 In a previous life, I was at an outdoor conference dinner for the firm I worked for 'Rohan Designs' One diner had had enough of chasing wasps from his lager and cried out 'OH FUCK OFF JASPER' very loud...
 A stunned silence followed and a hard stare from the design director...
A Mr Tim Jasper who was sitting on a neighbouring table.
 Well... it was funny at the time... >:(

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 08:58:40 pm »
On the South coast Wasps are known as 'Jaspers'...
Also in the West Midlands and South-West.