Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45758 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #125 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »
Surprise, surprise! It's been pissing down all day. Think Summer was last week . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #126 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »
Knowing today wasn't going to be great, I got up early (early for someone on holiday) and started cutting the lawn just after 8 am.  I managed one pass and down came the rain.  As it's an electric mower, I had to stop.
It's still raining now.  :(
Mrs B wanted me to light the fire this afternoon.  I didn't, but I'll probably not get away with it on Wednesday.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #127 on: 07 July, 2015, 03:46:20 pm »
We've just had a deluge in Furryboottoon. Water was spurting up from a manhole cover in the road like an aqueous volcano.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #130 on: 16 July, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »
37c shade temp.  Cooler tomorrow, 33 and on sat it plunges to 28 with the promise of thunderstorm and rain :thumbsup:  It last rained in May.
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

fuzzy

« Reply #131 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:04:05 am »
Talking of storms, I stood at the top of the stairs at midnight last night, looking eastwards out of the landing window and watched 30 minutes of electric awesomeness as a storm lit up the clouds towards London. I saw very few actual bolts of lightning but every 5- 10 seconds the clouds were lit up or profiled by flashes from within. The cloud bank didn't look to be very far away and I could see stars on my side of it. Didn't hear a thing though.

The display had me thingking of all those apocolyptic alien invasion films where the Mothership emerges slowly from a giant cloud with it's attendant ligthing display.

It were great.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #132 on: 17 July, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
Talking of storms, I stood at the top of the stairs at midnight last night, looking eastwards out of the landing window and watched 30 minutes of electric awesomeness as a storm lit up the clouds towards London. I saw very few actual bolts of lightning but every 5- 10 seconds the clouds were lit up or profiled by flashes from within. The cloud bank didn't look to be very far away and I could see stars on my side of it. Didn't hear a thing though.

It were great.

This ^^^ Only it was about 1100pm and I was on my doorstep. Must have been drifting your way.

Made me late for bed, it did.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #133 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »
I didn't notice anything last night, but we had one just like that in London a week or two ago.  Thought it was someone messing about with a flashgun at first.  The lightning must have been a long way away and diffused by overcast cloud.  Flashes every few seconds for half an hour, with barely a sound.  Outrageous thunder came in the end, though.  Funny how you can get to middle age and still experience weather conditions in your home town unlike anything you've seen before.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #134 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »
I had quite a lot of flashy stuff with little sound around 1am today in our corner of NW Outer Londonton.
My Broadband failed at 01.15 so I switched off my computer and went to bed.
Broadband worked when I got up.

« Reply #135 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:40:43 pm »
It is alright for you lot . I spent the evening beating aliens back to their ship in the rain  ::-) ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #136 on: 17 July, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »
The lightning must have been a long way away and diffused by overcast cloud.  Flashes every few seconds for half an hour, with barely a sound.  Outrageous thunder came in the end, though.  Funny how you can get to middle age and still experience weather conditions in your home town unlike anything you've seen before.

I had quite a lot of flashy stuff with little sound around 1am today in our corner of NW Outer Londonton.

Sounds like a re-run of the other week: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91436.msg1886056#msg1886056

My Broadband failed at 01.15 so I switched off my computer and went to bed.
Broadband worked when I got up.

Time to repost https://clueless.aa.net.uk/stormtrack.cgi maybe.

The effect can be quite dramatic when proper weather hits the south-east.

« Reply #137 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:07:39 pm »

The display had me thingking of all those apocolyptic alien invasion films where the Mothership emerges slowly from a giant cloud with it's attendant ligthing display.

It were great.

A while back I emerged from the tunnel at Calais around dusk.  Turning south I could see bright patches appearing in the sky and the further I went the more they appeared.  It was around Chartres, level with Paris that the lightning show really began, still way in the distance.  After Orleans I was in the thick of it on the autoroute with rain so heavy the traffic, even the madmen, slowed to 50 km/h or less. The lightning was constant and the thunder was banging and crashing around.  At that point I decided to pull over for a break.  Fortunately i carry earplugs and when I awoke it had all gone.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #138 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:15:23 pm »
Rain?

What's that?

Can't remember when we last had a decent amount.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #139 on: 18 July, 2015, 07:22:15 am »
We're down for 11mm between 11pm and 12am.  That's going to be interesting if it happens (81% chance). 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #140 on: 29 July, 2015, 07:56:37 am »
I have just watched a weather forecast. Frost is forecast for tomorrow night. In England and Wales. In July. I shall be camping in Edinburgh.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #141 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
We're down for 11mm between 11pm and 12am.  That's going to be interesting if it happens (81% chance).
We keep being promised rain, but not getting any, or not getting enough to be any use.  However, its drizzling here in Nades, right now.  Its only about 20 right now, but we've had over 43 in the shade early last week.  No proper rain since May.. Pascal and I used a petrol post-hole borer yesterday evening, at 700mm deep, the soil was still rock hard and bone dry, a little worrying for all his trees, which are beginning to look a bit sad.  Usually within a day or two of arriving here, I am spending entire days on the tractor cutting the grass, but this year we have not cut it at all.  Its beginning a "green up" a bit right now, though.   
We're back to the UK tomorrow, so we still wont be cutting it...
Wombat

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #142 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:19:23 am »
We keep being promised rain, but not getting any, or not getting enough to be any use.  However, its drizzling here in Nades, <SNIP>

IRTA Hades...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #143 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

« Reply #144 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »
And here it's mid-Winter and forecast to reach 28 on Monday.  I'm listening to the gardening show on the radio and the presenter is recommending bringing all the Spring preparation jobs forward by a month.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #145 on: 01 August, 2015, 01:04:39 am »
OTOH a post elsewhere says its been the coldest July in Melbourne since records began, and people are chasing penguins out of their sheds.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #146 on: 01 August, 2015, 11:44:41 am »
52C in Iraq this week  :o

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #147 on: 01 August, 2015, 02:16:10 pm »
It wasn't far off that when I was in DETH Valley last year.  Altogether too warm to be funny.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #148 on: 01 August, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »
During the Israeli 1000 a couple of years ago, I couldn't ride uphill from the Dead Sea at 47 degrees. A couple of hours later it was 37 degrees and I could finally climb above sea level.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #149 on: 03 August, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
I get used to heat.  Then it's a problem when it gets below 25c..  It's 34c today.