Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45221 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #525 on: 20 July, 2022, 08:48:52 pm »
BBC app say 55% chance of rain practically now, but it’s only ever right when I need to ride somewhere.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #526 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:16:57 pm »
BBC app say 55% chance of rain practically now, but it’s only ever right when I need to ride somewhere.

You are Rob McKenna AICMFP.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #527 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:53:26 pm »
The house, being built of 9” solid brick walls, is taking a while to cool down, still 25.5 in the lounge and bedroom. Cooler out, and we’ve had maybe 40 minutes of steady though not very heavy, rain. I’ve still been putting the sprinkler on the veg patch.

The effects of the dry spell are obvious though. When the neighbours had a new fence installed, our side gate (attached to the house corner, in line with the fence) clashed with the new post, and I had to cut a notch to allow the bolt to pass.  The gap twixt bolt and post is now approaching 3cm, all due to the clay drying out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #528 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:39:14 pm »
Still 28° in here, and has been all day. 23°C outside now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #529 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:43:54 pm »

Humidity is at 52% internal temp has dropped to 27.8°

Every so often a gust of cool breeze blows through and it's heavenly.

The forecast said we'd have thunder and rain by now. But aside from a couple of drops earlier. Nothing has come down.

This afternoon bwe had a few minutes of rain. And the petrichor was beautiful. It didn't last long...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ian

« Reply #530 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:57:28 pm »
On-off light but fat raindrops all evening, one big burst, which timed itself perfectly for the walk between restaurant and pub. The temperature for outside drinking was perfect. The Asbestos Palace though seems to have been constructed out of asbestos to contain the infernal heat, it's still 30+ degrees upstairs. Staying downstairs, hopefully sans murine company tonight.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #531 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:11:50 am »
The whole of Larrington Towers save the bathroom is still altogether too warm for comfort, and I can’t sleep in the bathroom coz it’s too small chiz. When If I grow up I'm gonna have a proper-sized bathroom with a free-standing bath-tub at least eight feet long.  On lion's feet.  Gilded ones.

« Reply #532 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:21:37 am »
Living as I do in the wilds of Buckinghamshire, it was much cooler this mornong. 24 in the bedroom, 23 in the lounge, 15 outside.  Very pleasant.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #533 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:29:22 am »
Fan turned down from “VC10 leaving Jan Smuts on a hot day” to “cruising turboprop” last night.  Altogether more restful.  Shame I couldn’t stay in bed until the TdF starts.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #534 on: 21 July, 2022, 10:08:41 am »
The BBC has a helpful "is your postcode vulnerable to extreme heat?" checker, which says I am.  It is fairly unscientific and just uses satellite measurements.  I seriously doubt it gets hotter here than in central London.  Also, the Square Mile seems unusually cool, mostly in the lowest-risk category :facepalm:

Amusingly, Didcot and Northampton cannot be mapped.  The twin arses of hell are presumably off the scale.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #535 on: 21 July, 2022, 11:12:40 am »
A belated shout-out to the young women who were outside their house hosing down passing cyclists on the C10 cycle route near South Bermondsey on Tuesday. Very much appreciated, in the conditions.
Not especially helpful or mature

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #536 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:03:35 pm »
The indoor temperature here has dropped to 26°C. 24°C outside at the moment. Minimum outside temperature since midnight: 18.2°C. For the past few nights I've been sleeping naked with no bed covers. At some point today just before dawn I felt the need for a duvet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #537 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:06:01 pm »
Its weird here.  Silent apart from birdsong outside. This time of the year there should be the noise of combines and bailers all around the village but apparently everything is too dry. Not enough moisture in the wheat and barley and the bailers cant make a bail that passes the minimum weight due to the lack of moisture. First time I can remember this happening.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #538 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:10:19 pm »
Aand normality returns, with 2 cow-orkers complaining the A/C makes it too cold (our office has three separately controlled tandem units - what could possibly go wrong), and foraging for an under-desk oil radiator.....

« Reply #539 on: 21 July, 2022, 12:12:00 pm »
It's a bit chilly here now. Still got the french doors open to help the washing dry and invite the local kitties in but I might need to put on another layer.

« Reply #540 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:00:35 pm »
22.3°C Outdoors at present.
25.1°C Indoors.
All openable things have been opened.
The fan has been deployed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #541 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:15:14 pm »
Just been visiting a friend whose 1990s terrace (small section in the middle of a longer terrace dating back to 1700-ish) has stayed delightfully cool – thanks to triple glazing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #542 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:26:35 pm »
On the subject of "other countries are designed for it", there was a really good episode of 99 Percent Invisible a few years ago about how air-conditioning has killed vernacular architecture, and ultimately creates more problems than it solves. Well worth a listen.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/thermal-delight/
That was very interesting and not only in the ways I thought it might be.  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #543 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:35:53 pm »
Well, at least my lawn has stopped growing.  It's ages since I last cut it.
Rain tonight or tomorrow morning apparently.   Bugger.  It will grow like something from a hammer horror movie.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #544 on: 21 July, 2022, 11:22:19 pm »
News of BRITAIN'S The Weather has reached the snowy shores of Lake Ontario; a chum in Toronto has just expressed the hope that I am not melting.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #545 on: 22 July, 2022, 12:35:11 am »
On the subject of "other countries are designed for it", there was a really good episode of 99 Percent Invisible a few years ago about how air-conditioning has killed vernacular architecture, and ultimately creates more problems than it solves. Well worth a listen.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/thermal-delight/
That was very interesting and not only in the ways I thought it might be.  :thumbsup:

Roman Mars’ voice, right? It’s the aural equivalent of warm toffee.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #546 on: 22 July, 2022, 07:55:53 am »
Maximum temperatures today forecast to be less than half of what we had on Tuesday here.  Also, looks like a second cloudy day.  There was barely a break in the cloud yesterday here.

My Christmas has come early!

« Reply #547 on: 22 July, 2022, 08:25:54 am »
Its weird here.  Silent apart from birdsong outside. This time of the year there should be the noise of combines and bailers all around the village but apparently everything is too dry. Not enough moisture in the wheat and barley and the bailers cant make a bail that passes the minimum weight due to the lack of moisture. First time I can remember this happening.

Speaking with a couple of local farmers, there is all sorts of wired stuff going on.  Crops where the ear is exceptionally dry and needs harvesting but the stem is still a little green and is binding on the way through the combine.  And Contractors refusing to cut and bale fields because they are so dry and the ground is fairly flinty so they assess the risk of a spark and fire as just too great.  There were more combines out yesterday after a light shower Wednesday night so hopefully all goes well over the next few days.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #548 on: 22 July, 2022, 09:05:20 am »
Maximum temperatures today forecast to be less than half of what we had on Tuesday here.

What, -155ºC?  ;)

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #549 on: 22 July, 2022, 09:06:21 am »

Speaking with a couple of local farmers, there is all sorts of wired stuff going on.  Crops where the ear is exceptionally dry and needs harvesting but the stem is still a little green and is binding on the way through the combine.  And Contractors refusing to cut and bale fields because they are so dry and the ground is fairly flinty so they assess the risk of a spark and fire as just too great.  There were more combines out yesterday after a light shower Wednesday night so hopefully all goes well over the next few days.
Next year won't be good for bakers.