Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45230 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #700 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:24:48 pm »
I'm cold. Wearing trousers at home for the time in ages, under a fleecy blanket and a cat.

(Yes, I know, the not scorchio thread is that way > )
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #701 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:30:41 pm »

I'm in Paris for a few days visiting a friend. We just walked out of the pharmacy to find a deep dark sky.

By the time our taxi arrived it had started to rain. Great big drops of rain. Within a minute or two the roads are like streams.

We're now home, and getting a wonderful sound and light show from all the thunder and lightning.

And there's fucktons if rain falling. Temperature has dropped. It's lovely.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #702 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:37:26 pm »
Could desperately do with some of that here.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #703 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:45:51 pm »
Could desperately do with some of that here.

It has now progressed to "bucketing it down".

Lots of lightning. All very close.

Drains are not entirely coping.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #704 on: 16 August, 2022, 05:59:13 pm »
I went to the post oriface earlier.  When I left the house it was warm and muggy.  By the time I got to the Raddlebarn River (which was fast-flowing and foamy, with the 4x4 drivers dodging the floating fridges[1]) I was gloriously soaked to the skin (for those not familiar with Silly Oak, this is about a two minute ride).  By the time I'd locked my bike up a few minutes later, I was actually cold.

The address on the parcel I was carrying would have been chromatography if it hadn't been laser printed.  And that's just from the time it took to extract it from the trailer, put a mask on and walk the 10 metres or so to the door.

It's calmed down and had a bit of light rain since, and is now warming up and drying out.

[1] This statement may contain lies or traces of lies.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #705 on: 16 August, 2022, 06:04:16 pm »
By the time I got to the Raddlebarn River (which was fast-flowing and foamy, with the 4x4 drivers dodging the floating fridges[1])
[1] This statement may contain lies or traces of lies.
You mean the fridges weren't actually floating, because they were weighed down by Bojo or pieces of Bojo?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #706 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:11:10 pm »
I went for a swim at Old Leigh today. There appeared to be a lot of rainy activity towards the Isle of Sheppey, on the other side of the estuary. None fell on this side.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #707 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:15:45 pm »
Mostly cool & overcast in Liverpool, but no rain. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #708 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:22:58 pm »

Lots of rain in Amsterdam today. At one point this morning it was very heavy. After that it calmed down to just a steady flow for most of the rest of the day. Has stopped now.

The plants on my balcony are very happy.

I wonder how long it will take for the grass in the park to go green again.

J
--

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #709 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:38:05 pm »
Jumper on this evening.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #710 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:44:05 pm »
Still using fans in the Great Hall & Estate Office, though the latter is down to a chilly 28 degrees when I switched the Babbage-Engine off just now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #711 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:44:44 pm »
The Suffolk desert (or at least my bit of it) is in no danger of losing its place in the competition to be the next Death Valley. We did actually see some raindrops today, but not enough as to be entitled a 'shower'. More a kind of intermittently leaky tap. My patio changed colour for a while as the layer of dust accumulated some H2O, but by sunset was back to its now-customary shade of brown. The temperature, however, has moderated and is now a mere 19C outside. Positively chilly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #712 on: 18 August, 2022, 07:54:13 am »
Here no scorchio no more.  Pissing down, 18°C, and due to go on doing it. Bleh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #713 on: 18 August, 2022, 08:01:10 am »
It got biblical at work yesterday roundabout 15:00, just as I was leaving to go home.
We had thunder, lightning and industrial quantities of rain.
By the time I'd got home ~14 miles away, it was clear to me that not a drop had fallen where I live.

« Reply #714 on: 18 August, 2022, 08:12:41 am »
I went for a swim at Old Leigh today. There appeared to be a lot of rainy activity towards the Isle of Sheppey, on the other side of the estuary. None fell on this side.

It must have just missed you on all sides.  About 25 miles NW of you, we got 30 minutes of heavy but not torrential rain with accompanying thunder and lightning at around 3pm.  Just what the doctor ordered, not too heavy that it ran straight off but heavy enough to do some good.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #715 on: 18 August, 2022, 09:34:55 am »
It got biblical at work yesterday roundabout 15:00, just as I was leaving to go home.
We had thunder, lightning and industrial quantities of rain.
By the time I'd got home ~14 miles away, it was clear to me that not a drop had fallen where I live.

And the wind was blowing from the perfect direction to ensure a damp bed again last night >:(  Window wasn’t wide open like last time but the rain still managed to find a way in chiz.

« Reply #716 on: 18 August, 2022, 10:31:22 am »
Still no real rain in a quickly browing leafy Bucks. Temperatures moderated and pleasant. Hosepipe ban from next Weds. Hope it's lifted in time for the summer-to-winter wheel change and bi-annual wash and polish on the car come October/November.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #717 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:07:43 am »
I almost had to put my socks on yesterday.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #718 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:22:25 am »
Next scheduled sock day is still more than a month away :P

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #719 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:23:24 am »
Oh jolly good. The garden might not be completely dead when we get back from the IoW.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #720 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:34:52 am »
24°C here again, inside and out. I'm still wearing Very Little around the house.

TimC, your reference to Death Valley is an interesting one in that in the past week or two they've had massive floods, which I saw described as "the third once-in-a-thousand-years event in the past 3 years." Obligraun: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/10/death-valley-floods-climate-crisis

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #721 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:44:34 am »

It must have just missed you on all sides.  About 25 miles NW of you, we got 30 minutes of heavy but not torrential rain with accompanying thunder and lightning at around 3pm.  Just what the doctor ordered, not too heavy that it ran straight off but heavy enough to do some good.

It's often like that. It probably accounts for the fact that Southend is pretty much the driest large town in the UK.

« Reply #722 on: 18 August, 2022, 12:30:47 pm »
Very little rain the night before last. Nothing else since. 23 Deg C atm and muggy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

« Reply #723 on: 18 August, 2022, 12:31:35 pm »
24°C here again, inside and out. I'm still wearing Very Little around the house.

TimC, your reference to Death Valley is an interesting one in that in the past week or two they've had massive floods, which I saw described as "the third once-in-a-thousand-years event in the past 3 years." Obligraun: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/10/death-valley-floods-climate-crisis

Haha, yes I saw that! A friend of mine recently completed an ultra marathon in Death Valley, so stuff about the place keeps coming up in my SM feeds. I rode through DV in 2019, and frankly it didn't feel as hot as it has here recently - the benefits of very low humidity (and November).

TimC

« Reply #724 on: 18 August, 2022, 12:33:11 pm »
It is actually spitting right now (the sky, not the cat). I can hear wet tyre movement on the road at the front, so it might even be a significant amount. Of course, this happened as I was preparing to go for a ride...

Edit: it is actually properly raining. Maybe one of those thousand-year events,, Wowsa.

Oh. It stopped. Before I had a chance to take a piccy.