Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 97631 times)

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1000 on: November 19, 2018, 09:09:28 am »
figs, figs and more figs, it's a bumber year both in size and number this year.  Looks like there may even be a few second crop that reach ripeness if the weather remains warm.
I've just noticed this (from August, sorry) - we had two, yes 2, figs this year. Normally - here in Leicester - we have so many we don't know what to do with them. I think it was the dreadful Monty Don that said that the hot dry summer (I think I remember that) made the fig trees think they were in the tropics, and they lost the main crop and produced a huge number of buds for a later crop. I spend a happy hour or two removing bucket loads of thumb sized figs off the tree over the last couple of weeks to try and encourage next year's crop.
We missed out on our poached figs in Cassis this year.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #1001 on: November 19, 2018, 09:18:41 am »
I've spent an inordinate amount of time at the allotment plots this weekend.
I've constructed a small wildlife habitat out of a couple of old boots I found in shed number 3, bricks with holes in, bits of old bamboo cane, roofing tiles and hazel cuttings. It looks a bit pathetic at the moment, but hopefully it'll become home to a few bugs/ mammals.
I've managed to get a few new 'semi raised beds' made that will be at a  height that Mrs M can get to to weed - unfortunately they are in the area where she has been planting flower bulbs for the last few years, so as much as I construct the beds I'm digging up perfectly salveagable bulbs that need to be replanted in the new beds - but the new beds aren't as big as the old patches ('cos of paths between them) so I may have to find a way of repurposing the old bulbs, possibly just dumping them in a trench in plot #2. And more importantly I need to stop Mrs M from buying new flower bulbs for at least 12 months.
Plus I've been able to do a fair bit of weeding / hoeing done - it's astonishing how well the weeds are growing at the moment!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1002 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:07 pm »
  The sprouts are already boiling so I thought it was time to lift a few parsnips for roasting on Christmas day.
This year I thinned them quite hard as in previous years I have had lots of small roots.

« Reply #1003 on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:09 pm »
I've managed to get out into the garden for the first time in what feels like months. Only for half an hour or so before it got dark, but I did manage to get the Braeburn apple (which has cropped wonderfully this year) upright again. It has been gradually leaning over all year and once the fruit started to swell the extra weight got it nearly horizontal. It now has a fairly hefty stake holding it up.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1004 on: December 31, 2018, 10:46:48 pm »
Not done anything for a while, but last week I, Mrs B & Mrs B mere were walking beside the river near where my mother in law lives, in a suburb of Tokyo, & passed some allotments, which I (but oddly, not Mrs B) had seen before. We paused to look, & a woman who was there greeted us. Turned out she was the administrator (an unpaid voluntary post), & she showed us round. Very well organised. Very neat. They have a little office in a shed. Oh, & no fence around the site. Wide open.

They have a scheme to donate vegetables to a local special school, for cheap meals for the kids.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897