Author Topic: Attention, runners! - Why I run long distances by The Oatmeal  (Read 1175 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
I reckon that anyone who runs (or in my case, used to run) is going to love this awesome new cartoon by one of my favourite artists, Matthew Inman (aka "the Oatmeal").  It had me sniggering and sympathising in equal measures.

I remember finishing my first marathon and feeling overwhelmed with a sense of immense pride,  I felt like I'd beaten the impossible, I'd ended world hunger, found like on Mars, defeated the KRAKEN.  But in reality, what did I accomplish?

I shuffled, groaned and sweated over a 26.2 mile stretch f pavement before gorging myself on granola bars and passing out in the warm afterglow of a runner's high.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Amirite, Mister Gates?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Attention, runners! - Why I run long distances by The Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2013, 09:11:02 am »
(not just for runners)
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2013, 09:20:09 am »
This *is* me when I cycle commute

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2013, 09:24:04 am »
Aye.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2013, 12:33:01 pm »
We were discussing this one on IRC last night.  I don't really relate to it, except for the meditation thing and the Garmin feature illustrated on the first page.  They all have that, the smug little electronic bastards.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »
He's only really using the Garmin like 'we' have been using £6 magnet computers for decades (i.e. "How far?" )

I do know runners who never look at the pacing stuff etc, and never upload their data I'm more of a time/intensity than distance person, but I can see the appeal, and the budget for a basic running GPS is waaaay below the cost of most bikes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles