Author Topic: Welsh Coast-to-Coast (was "I may have some time on my hands...")  (Read 22043 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Welsh Coast-to-Coast (was "I may have some time on my hands...")
« Reply #50 on: 05 August, 2013, 12:01:34 am »
It will probably turn really autumnal and we will be surviving on tinned soup!

Edit: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Machynlleth~2643251/long.html

*blows raspberry in the general direction of the weather forecast*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #51 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
Well, I have called all the campsites and they all still exist.

Chris N

« Reply #52 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »
Your routes for Hay - Rhayader and Rhayader - CAT are ambitious.  I'd stick to closer to the Wye and NCN 8 from Hay through Glasbury, Erwood, Builth and Newbridge to Rhayader and head round the west side of Clywedog after Llanidloes.  Wyeside campsite in Rhayader is nicer than the Gigrin (next to the river - good swimming!) but could be busy.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #53 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:40:42 pm »
I'd already decided on the Wyeside campsite based on the reviews I'd read.

I'm undecided at this stage whether to choose the easier roads or the up & over options. I did the river valley route from Hay to Builth last year. I suspect I will decide on the day which to do, and it could well depend on the weather.

Chris N

« Reply #54 on: 05 August, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »
Fair enough, but I would very much advise against the B4518 from Llanidloes to Staylittle.  It's a soul destroying succession of monstrously steep climbs.  The minor roads along the Hafren and to the west of Llyn Clywedog are much, much nicer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 05 August, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »
Fair enough, but I would very much advise against the B4518 from Llanidloes to Staylittle.  It's a soul destroying succession of monstrously steep climbs.  The minor roads along the Hafren and to the west of Llyn Clywedog are much, much nicer.

Thanks. That sounds like the sort of advice I need!

I remember driving over that road, W to E, a few years ago and I found it hard to believe how much up there was. I suppose my considering riding it could be described as the triumph of youth over experience.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #56 on: 05 August, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
No chance of changing your other plans, Kim?  :demon:

The CrinklyClan are visiting.  Sans bikes.  Ironically, on the way to Wales...

Kim, we'll be out of your hair by a time-I-can't-remember-but-I-think-it's-around-lunchtime on Wednesday though....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 05 August, 2013, 05:03:14 pm »
No chance of changing your other plans, Kim?  :demon:

The CrinklyClan are visiting.  Sans bikes.  Ironically, on the way to Wales...

Kim, we'll be out of your hair by a time-I-can't-remember-but-I-think-it's-around-lunchtime on Wednesday though....

Ah.  Hmm.  Off-by-one error in my calendar...  *ponders*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #58 on: 05 August, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »
Another Mordor Central ticket to Mach for stupidoclock on Thursday, is it?  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »
I was thinking sensible o'clock on Wednesday.

And then back from Penrhyndeudraeth or somewhere on Friday morning.  Which gives me enough time to dry off and get some proper sleep before the Exmouth Exodus.  Probably.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »

And then back from Penrhyndeudraeth or somewhere on Friday morning.  Which gives me enough time to dry off and get some proper sleep before the Exmouth Exodus.  Probably.

That would be good.

« Reply #61 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »
I'd already decided on the Wyeside campsite based on the reviews I'd read.

I'm undecided at this stage whether to choose the easier roads or the up & over options. I did the river valley route from Hay to Builth last year. I suspect I will decide on the day which to do, and it could well depend on the weather.

The riverside option on the quiet roads on the eastern side is fantastic, and has the bonus of going past the top notch cafe at the old Erwood station.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #62 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »
Oh yes, I went there last year. It was very good.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #63 on: 05 August, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »

*checks tickets*
12:36 from departure from UNI on Wednesday for us.  That make sense?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »

*checks tickets*
12:36 from departure from UNI on Wednesday for us.  That make sense?

Yep, as you said in PM.  Barakta had typoed the date when adding it to our shared calendar, with hilarious consequences.  Will have a maps and trains session in a bit.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #65 on: 05 August, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »
I have tracked down the camp site at Porth Colmon that is mentioned on the OS map.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/siteseekerlite/aspx/details.aspx?id=123114&returnPage=search.aspx%7cradius%3d20%7clocation%3dLlangwnnadl+-+Llecyn%2c+++Llangwnnadl%2c+++Pwllheli%2c+++LL53+8NT%7cunitType%3dtent%7csiteTypes%3d1%2c++2%2c++3%2c++5&clearSearch=N

I spoke to Mrs. Jones and she has reserved a pitch for us on Fri and Sat nights. Pretty cheap as well - £4 each per night, which is a lot cheaper than the other one further up the coast.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 06 August, 2013, 12:19:38 am »
Okay, I'm in.   :thumbsup:

I've booked a train that leaves Mordor well after Crinkly o'clock on the afternoon of Wednesday 14th and arrives at Machynlleth at 16:46.  Return from Criccieth[1] on the Friday at 13:52, which means I should be able to tag along for the first third or so of Friday's ride (and then spend the rest of the day on a train).  Hopefully that should fit with your plans...

As with last time I visited that part of the world, I will endeavour to bring some decent weather.

[1] Any tips on pronouncing Welsh place names appreciated.  I already know 'mycuntluv'.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 06 August, 2013, 07:47:36 am »
Splendid news!

« Reply #68 on: 06 August, 2013, 08:25:31 am »
Yay! Croeso aboard, Kim!  :thumbsup:

This morning I have mostly been thinking about bridges - 2 of my abiding memories are of driving across the rickety wooden toll bridge to Penrhyndeudraeth ("Pen-rin-doi-dreth") and squeeeeeezing the car along next to the cob wall to Porthmadog ("Port").

I've only ever done both of these in a car and rather suspect doing them by bike might be rather jolly good. I did a bit of searching to see if this was possible and discovered that they're rebuilding Pont Briwet! With a cycle path!
Apparently a temporary bridge is open at the moment, but I'm not sure how much of a construction site it'll all be around there. Perhaps best to wait before the Bridges for CrinklyLion photo...

The Sustrans map shows a traffic-free bit along the cob, so I assume that's up the top where I'm vaguely aware there's a path for pedestrians too. *adds to list of things to do one day*

In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to next week's jaunt  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #69 on: 06 August, 2013, 10:06:04 am »
Okay, I'm in.   :thumbsup:

I've booked a train that leaves Mordor well after Crinkly o'clock on the afternoon of Wednesday 14th and arrives at Machynlleth at 16:46.  Return from Criccieth[1] on the Friday at 13:52, which means I should be able to tag along for the first third or so of Friday's ride (and then spend the rest of the day on a train).  Hopefully that should fit with your plans...

As with last time I visited that part of the world, I will endeavour to bring some decent weather.

[1] Any tips on pronouncing Welsh place names appreciated.  I already know 'mycuntluv'.
My sister lived in Criccieth for ten years.

Crick-ee-eth.

Or not, as my grandmother ALWAYS called it (which drove us barmy), Crick-eth.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 06 August, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
We were wandering around Criccieth Castle some years age when my youger son announced that his tooth has come out. For the sake of posterity we posted it down a hole in the castle wall. Said son will be 29 next month so I would guess that happened in about 1990.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #71 on: 06 August, 2013, 10:56:07 am »
It will probably turn really autumnal and we will be surviving on tinned soup!

Edit: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Machynlleth~2643251/long.html

*blows raspberry in the general direction of the weather forecast*
It's been feeling quite autumnal here the last day or two. Still warm but with bursts of heavy rain. Berries coming out...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #72 on: 06 August, 2013, 11:17:13 am »
Ooh that should be a cracking week.  I'll see what I cando about getting
 The Monday off work to ride the first bit with you.

If you like I can knock together some GPx route suggestions. 

Llanthony is lovely - I have toyed with idea of organising a forum camping weekend there in fact - the ride up from Chepstow is fantastic.  The downside is that that  campsite is likely to be packed in the school hols with disadvantaged youth groups from Brixton and Haringey.  If you call at the farmhouse on the left as the lane goes off into the abbey they used to let you camp on their little field by the river. 

You will of course need some pub recommendations :) 

A day one lunch suggestion would be the Clytha Arms: 

http://www.clytha-arms.com/

And when you hit the Llyn peninsula this is a very nice pub with good food:

http://www.tafarnyfic.com/index.htm

It's very friendly but you won't hear much, if any, English spoken so practising some absolute basic welsh would pay dividends.

Llany over to Mach is a grovel whichever way you go, but the B road via Staylitte is quiet and lovely with stunning views on the top.  The A470 takes a massive detour for good reason! :)
It would be good to see you, Tewdric. I think you are somewhat optimistic about getting to Raglan in time for lunch - I don't arrive in Chepstow until nearly 2 o'clock so I will be pleased to have got that far by 4.30! I will be up against it time-wise on Monday so I think I will eat some butties on the train and plough on as steadily as i can.

You may have seen my .gpx files - I think I will probably stick to my planned route for Mon unless you know a reasonable way of flattening out some of the hills! I am aware of the big climb out of Abergavenny. The Chris N suggestions for the later days seem eminently sensible and I may well use them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
I have plotted the alternative route as suggested by Chris N, south and west of Llyn Clywedog and compared it to the B road route.

B-road, 3567' ascent

Minor roads, 3872' ascent

There is a third option:

Severn Way, 3501' ascent

That is a couple of miles further and it avoids going into Llanidloes, where there is the Great Oaks café. This is very well thought of by its customers, and does take-aways in biodegradable containers. It seems to be a big mistake to miss out on this. Of course, I could divert and go into Llanidloes, but that adds another couple of miles.

I suppose that, given that I have opted to cycle over the mountains where, within a mile or two of each other, the Severn, the Wye and the Rheidol all rise, I can hardly complain about climbing hills!

Chris N

« Reply #74 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
The Great Oak cafe is very nice, as is the Quarry Cafe in Mach (if it's still open).  There's a little shop/post office in Staylittle too that's quite handy.