Author Topic: Helinox chairs  (Read 15053 times)

Re: Helinox chairs
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »
We need pictures!
People who've had both the Seaflo and Helinox versions in hand report that the only visible differences are the logo and a few minor differences in the stitching.

Further browsing reveals that there was an unbranded Helinox copy available about a year ago, which gained a reputation for breaking (according to Helinox, who received the complaints). Apparently on that version the legs were thinner.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »
Finally got to try my seaflo chairs on two camping trip to france..............brilliant :thumbsup:

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 06:46:12 pm »
I had an interesting occurrence with my Helinox when I was camping at Rousay.

There had been a lot of rain and when I sat in the chair the back legs disappeared into the soft earth and I found myself sitting on the ground. I suspect that not many people would suffer that indignity.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 07:15:03 pm »
Mine's done that and I lost a rubber foot in the hole  ;D

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:12 pm »
Mine too, though I felt the sinking and stood up before the feet were too deep. I had to go and find some flat rocks.
I'll get some castor cups when I get round to it.

There were some Helinox copies with adjustable legs on Amazon last week, but they've run out now:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Adjustable-Ultralight-Outdoor-Fishing/dp/B011B5PX04/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_7

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 06:39:48 am »
Mine's done that and I lost a rubber foot in the hole  ;D
Mine has lost a foot too....I wrapped a load of duct tape round it and sort of moulded a replacement...keep meaning to contact the company and see if they do spares.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »
try using some Sugru to make a new foot.

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »
I'm thinking of getting one - but the first thing which crossed my mind when I saw it was how easily the legs would sink into soft earth.
Makes me wonder whether the ground chair would be less likely to do so.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/?fuseaction=products.search&source=Search&searchvalue=helinox+chair
Albeit, that offers a lower sit height.
Yes, I know. You are all probably wondering what I'm doing on the camping board  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 12:17:13 pm »
Welcome, stranger! ;)

From my perspective, the ground chair would be a much better option (and more usable inside a tent *hem *hem).

But my perspective is from a sitmat, so you might want to ask more infirm members of the forum :p
Getting there...

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 07:04:23 pm »
A low height has the advantage that you can use it inside a tent, and also reach low down camping stoves etc better.

Another alternative would be the Alite Mayfly - a bit cheaper (there don't seem to any cheap knock off copies of this or the ground chair yet)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:17 pm »
Both available to compare side by side in Cotswold Outdoor
Getting there...

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:26 am »
Both available to compare side by side in Cotswold Outdoor
Only the larger branches stock them.
Spitalfields, for instance, didn't.
Covent Garden, on the other hand, had two.
Now, they have just the one  :D.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »
Oh whoops!  Sorry you had a wasted journey to Spitalfields.  CG is our default.

And :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 01:12:24 pm »
Spitalfields is on my way home from work (ish) - so no great issue there.
Thing is, I bought that chair to use  today.
Unfortunately, I won't be going where I had planned on being today. 
My disappointment will, however,  doubtless be eclipsed by the losses of others.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »
It can be used another day :(
Getting there...

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:11 pm »
With regards to the foot loss, it would appear that on my cheap Chinese knock-off version the plastic ferrule is attached to the bungee cord that tensions the leg segments.

Squelch
Tip
Sigh
Slurp
Bugger
Oh!
*pulls*
Ping!
*ducks*
Phew!

YourCheapChineseKnockOffVersionMayVary.

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 10:57:54 pm »
Mine too, though I felt the sinking and stood up before the feet were too deep. I had to go and find some flat rocks.
I'll get some castor cups when I get round to it.
I ended up getting some rubber walking stick ferrules from the local hardware shop.

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 10:50:20 am »
I would normally buy the branded version, but in a moment of meanness I bought a Chinese rip of for about £30.  It lasted an hour before the lack of enough material made itself apparent as the thread tore through it.  I am 13 stones, so no lightweight.  Needless to say it went in the skip, no point dragging it around with me as I was just south of Edinburgh on a cycle trip with an intended destination in Sussex, which incidentally I didn't make.

Once in Sussex I bought a Walkstool, a horrendously expensive collapsing, intentionally this time, three-legged stool that is made with such quality and precision that I just wanted to lick it.  It was close to £100 once it had been posted to me, but a case of buy once, cry once.

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
Cheap Chinese so called heavy duty knock off failed (collapsed under me) whilst camping in Avignon. I cannot begin to explain how inconvenient this was. I will order the real thing today. Ferrules are a good idea as other camping colleagues had probs with mole holes.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:52 am »
I have had a chinese version  Moon Lence   for over a year.   It has worked fine and is used most weeks in the summer months.  I 3D printed a set of pads for the feetr as it does sink in mud and I lost a rubber foot.  I guwss a walking pole rubber would be a replacement.

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2019, 04:38:52 pm »
There's an Aldi one now too for £17.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-camping-chair/p/083364293370302

Can't comment on quality yet but other camping stuff from them has been ok

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2019, 04:42:08 pm »
There's an Aldi one now too for £17.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ultra-light-camping-chair/p/083364293370302

I've got one of those, though it's only had a couple of outings and an experimental bouncing-and-wriggling session.  Build quality isn't quite up to that of the Helinox, but it seems okay.  Can't argue with the price.

Re the ferrule issue, you can get pads that spread the load of the chair on soft ground (and indeed inside tents).
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2019, 07:33:58 pm »
At that price I took a punt. Yes, you can tell the difference between them and the true Helinox (I have a Helinox Two) but bum in seat they work so far.

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2019, 07:35:31 pm »
... and praise Pangolin, the proper Audax UK logo. Well Done.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »
The main issue with the Aldi one is that the "Adventuridge" logo is sideways on the side of the seat.  This means that every time I come to assemble it, I put the fabric part on at right angles to the way it should be, struggle with the resulting tension, then realise what's wrong when this fails to make a usable chair.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...