Author Topic: Learning to swim/improving swimming  (Read 43449 times)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Re: Learning to swim/improving swimming
« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2019, 10:35:31 am »
A couple of 2000m sessions at the National Sports Centre's 50m pool last week (also blessedly free of screaming kids) will shortly remind me how teeny the local 25m feels.

And blimey, the kids diving off the high platform into the diving pool, some awesome skills. I'd just depth charge the water at enough speed to break something of fundamental importance.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:46 am »
Still waiting for Final Instructions email for Swim Serpentine (21st Sep) so not sure of the exact format but guess it will be starting with a 2 mile swim and then picking subsequent 1 or 2 mile waves until I've clocked up the distance.

Training has (as usual) been haphazard but I did manage about 4h in total last week whilst on holiday in Annecy (luckily wife and daughter also like lake swimming) including 1000m in the lovely outdoor 50m pool at Marquisats although my favourite lake swim was at Talloires.

Will try for 10k over 3 sessions this week and same again next week and then have an easy week before the event itself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #452 on: September 08, 2019, 04:41:12 pm »
Will try for 10k over 3 sessions this week and same again next week and then have an easy week before the event itself.

Thu: 2500m
Sat: 3600m
Sun: 2000m (wanted to go for longer but lacked the willpower and the lanes weren't conducive to getting in a rhythm)

So only 8100m in those 4 days.

Plan:

Mon (09-SEP): 3600m 2000m - tired shoulders but faster including 7:20 400m in the middle of it which was a surprise
Wed (11-SEP): 3200m - tick - 13400m in the last 7 days, no wonder I feel tired. Managed a new (recent) PB of 7:10 for 400m which was a bigger surprise than the last one.
Fri (13-SEP): 3200m - 1600m - felt broken, weekend off should help
Mon (16-SEP): 4000m - tick - felt good too, could have carried on if I'd had the time
Wed (18-SEP): gentle swim before MiniGB's lesson - [EDIT] might push for 1k or more if I can be bothered
Sat (21-SEP): Swim Serpentine

Good news is my brother introduced me to a pool near Victoria that's relatively quiet after 8.30am. I'll look to sneak in a Friday morning swim each week on my way to work in the build up to November's 10k swim. Once Swim Serpentine is out of the way.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #453 on: September 15, 2019, 07:55:53 pm »
Two sessions this week before my membership ends and I'm back to payg.

1500 and 1600m sessions, one in the evening, where I was  surprised at the emptiness of the pool.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens