Author Topic: Halfrauds again  (Read 14432 times)

Martin

Halfrauds again
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:57:39 pm »
called in on the way home again in a fruitless search for new brake blocks for the folder (just about every type but... and despite the fact that they sell a folding bike with the same blocks as mine)

I like the new range of glasses; good quality for a good price they even have a yellow pair  :)

the Dare2B clothing is pretty good but try it on for size then order it for 1/2 the price off ebay  ;)

more shopkeeper's tricks; they have 2 Carrera bikes on sale; a TdF yellow special with Claris shifters (proper two lever Shimano; not seen it before) for £299 and the inferior black with yellow bits 2300 one at £599  :o just so they can sel it at 50% off in 28 days?

could not believe the price of cassettes  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Halfrauds again
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:05:30 am »

They stock 7-speed cassettes though, which I was mildly impressed by.

But not as much as I was impressed by the sheer amount of shelf space dedicated to car air-'fresheners'.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Martin

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:46 am »

cassettes or freewheels? I must say it was a relief to lose 7 speed and just have the 2 incompatible setups on my 3 bikes; 7 speed in anything other than MTB spacing is rocking horse manure these days

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:19:21 am »

cassettes or freewheels? I must say it was a relief to lose 7 speed and just have the 2 incompatible setups on my 3 bikes; 7 speed in anything other than MTB spacing is rocking horse manure these days

Cassettes.  Freewheels I would have expected (and indeed they had several).  Needed something with wide ratios, and the LBS only had roadie stuff.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:06:19 am »
Nearly always worth checking the website and using reserve & collect - they very often have offers on cycling parts and accessories, and won't  match their own online prices.

Cue standing in front of the till, phone in hand, tapping away to reserve the bottom bracket I had in my other hand ... the store was very quiet though, and 20% is worth having ...

Martin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »
more shopkeeper's tricks; they have 2 Carrera bikes on sale; a TdF yellow special with Claris shifters (proper two lever Shimano; not seen it before) for £299 and the inferior black with yellow bits 2300 one at £599  :o just so they can sel it at 50% off in 28 days?

and as expected it was going "half price" today  :-\

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:34 pm »

Cassettes.  Freewheels I would have expected (and indeed they had several).  Needed something with wide ratios, and the LBS only had roadie stuff.

I keep a 7 speed cassette on the shelf, usually an ETC - Monsoon in the box - 12-28 ratio, bright nickel plated.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:43 am »
The freehub on a friend's Carrera (Halford's) bike seized up. She'd bought it new from them in February.
But, according to them, it's not covered by the warranty because....... "it's a moving part."   ??? :facepalm:

Yes, I know, but she bought the bike before she'd met any other cyclists, and is now enjoying the exquisite agonies of indecision about n+1   :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »
Dont forget with halfords you can get cracking discounts if you put in a bit of effort...

I just got a Boardman Team Carbon for £700 instead of £1000:

Full price: £999.99
10% off in sale = £900
10% off because I took somebody with me who had a BC membership card = £810
Click and collect so you get 3.03% cashback through TopCashback = £24.54 (although it’s tracked as £27.25 so far, so lets see)
When you go in to collect the bike, simply pay with Vouchers purchased online at 10% off (£729 paid for £810 in vouchers)
Total paid = £705.46  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you want to know more about how to get all the discounts working, look here:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/22-off-any-purchase-halfords-1603626

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:20:23 pm »
They do get some bargains, they have Ergon GP5 grips on offer at the moment for £45 which is way less than the retail price.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 09:37:44 pm »
Acherly, I popped into the Selly Oak Halfords at the weekend on an emergency mission for tubes.  It's been ages since I've been in there and I was amazed at the change.
It used to be a massive car stuff warehouse with a bit of bike stuff against the far wall.
Now, it's a massive bike stuff warehouse with a bit of car stuff over in a corner somewhere.
AND, they've got single colour, no logo jerseys.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:44:19 pm »
And I got a new cassette (not that I've fitted it yet) for only a few quid more than online. Which when you factor in not dealing with deliveries isn't bad. Though I did order it cos I wanted it right away and yet it's still in the box a week later  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:40 am »
I have had some good experiences with Halfords recently, via click and collect.
Kaercher K2 under £70
Garmin 200 £79.99 matching Wiggle
9 sp chain at a substantial discount to their in-store price
... and rather surprisingly a Campag cable guide for the underside of my BB. I was surprised that H stocked such an item but they popped up on a web search and my local store had it waiting for me the next day.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

Snakehips

• Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
They have a 10% online flash discount sale at the mo , 12 til 2 pm. My Garmin would now be £71.99  :(   ... so I bought another one for a friend's birthday  :)

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »
I had a particularly good experience with Halfords in Sutton last week. I went in on Thursday to see if I could order a replacement footrest for a bike seat (that I got for 99p on eBay). The 2 young lads on the bike desk didn't know where to order it, so they took my number and said they would call head office and let me know what they discovered. I thought they would forget all about it but they called back before I reached the next shop! Not only that but they remembered which side it was but double checked anyway. They ordered it and it was in the shop by Friday! Really good service . :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »
Friend off mine bought a bike from them a week or so ago.  Ride 1 wheel slipped and locked out, ride 2 handlebars slipped sideways out of the stem....

Snakehips

• Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:29 am »
10% online discount 'flash sale' 12-2pm again today

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 04:37:29 pm »

Thought I'd treat myself for a change.
Noticed a Joe Blow Sport Track Pump online for £25.90
[Reserve and collect within an hour - was passing anyway. In store price was £37!]
With the extra flash sale 10%, that came in at £23.31.

That ain't bad for that.
Beats anybody else online that I could find.

Young lad in the store was helpful too.
So..credit where credit is due and all that.
Garry Broad

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »
While stopping with some friends for a few days, I ventured down to Plymouth and into the Halfords store there.  I have to say that I was impressed with the amount of cycling equipment on display and then enquired if they had any of my favourite 'Lizard Skins' bar tape.  They had'nt but offered to order some for me and post to me.  I arrived back home again the next day and there was my bar tape sitting on my mat. The staff were also very helpful.

Snakehips

• Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 09:09:17 am »

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
New bike as picked up from Halfords yesterday:

Looks like they have solved the disc-braked front wheel ejection problem...

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:07 pm »
Oh dear. When I bought a bike for my wife/daughter from there recently I was careful to select the "boxed" option. They phoned to say "your bike's arrived are you sure you don't want us to assemble it?" but I politely declined.

In fairness to the chain, I have noticed recently some components / accessories are competitively priced and they have a good stock. Just bought a pair of Scwhalble tyres for the same price as Wiggle and only 50p more than cheapest online store but with the convenience of next day collection from my local branch.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 11:40:14 pm »
I am not a Halfords fan but the Carrera bike that I purchased as a winter bike has been fine plus was a bargain with the sale price.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 12:15:23 am »
Carreras are generally well equipped, decent quality bikes for the money.

Halfords have good staff and poor staff.

It just seems a shame that the good staff don't get to use the spanners . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 07:20:35 am »
Agree - I have done many, many miles on the Carrera that I am 'looking after' for my sister and it is good.